Generators for Kalbarri, and the cyclone aftermath

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2021 at 18:35
ThreadID: 141544 Views:6217 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Kalbarri is like a second home to me, my parents also retired there. Their main house didn't get damaged, but their other property is a write off, like so many.

I went up there to help out get the properties sorted out, fix up the slightly damaged ones, so someone who needs a roof can have one, and see what to do with the more damaged ones. We also organised a supply of generators for the town folk, and eventually got 35 transported up there.

For those interested, those who may have visited, or were intending to, I took a bit of video from around town in my down time. The clean up will take weeks or months, rebuilding far longer.

Its devastating to see the damage, but once Kalbarri is cleaned up, and able to take visitors, Im sure they would love to see you.

The community spirit, the willingness to help others demonstrated by everyone, was amazing to witness.

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: nick g1 - Sunday, Apr 18, 2021 at 21:23

Sunday, Apr 18, 2021 at 21:23
Thanks so much for your efforts for the town. Amazing video walking around the town. Know exactly where you went as we where there in October 2020. Heaps to do and fix but locals will survive and rebuild. Wish you and everyone there the best.
AnswerID: 636054

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Sunday, Apr 18, 2021 at 21:28

Sunday, Apr 18, 2021 at 21:28
Good work.

Better coverage than the TV news.

First went to Kalbarri in 74 on my honeymoon and been back a few times since, it’s a favourite place

Hopefully your friends and relatives can get sorted soon.

Cheers
AnswerID: 636055

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 00:38

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 00:38
Thanks for that video. As we are intending to be in that area in August we had been taking an interest in finding out about how bad it had been. From here in Darwin the media coverage was rather poor, during and afterwards.

For me, the palm tree speared by a piece of timber at the 52 second mark displays quite well the power of the wind. Reminds me of what cyclone Tracy did to my boat.

Hope all goes well but history tells me the bureaucracy may slow things up with talk of enhanced building codes.
AnswerID: 636056

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 07:05

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 07:05
With the expected rise in cyclone frequency and power in the future I think building codes should be a high priority. I,ve been through 1/2 a dozen cyclones of varying strengths and solidly built houses stand up a hell of a lot better than most corrugated iron and timber framed ones.
FollowupID: 913873

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 17:19

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 17:19
Any idea about status at Murchison House Station? Being away from the coast and possibly more protected? This is the proposed location for ExplorOz National Gathering 2022. We were there 2020 and they have lots of old/historic farming structures and equipment.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636062

Follow Up By: JJAdv - Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 18:11

Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 18:11
MHS posted on the Kalbarri Facebook site that they got away with it, with only a small amount of damage, nothing to bad.. This was their Post

"For all who have sent good wishes we are so grateful for your compassion. Thankyou.
We are relieved and grateful to say that at MHS homestead we have come through the cyclone better than expected and we are all safe and well. Not an experience I would ever want to repeat. Quite a mess and some buildings damaged but nothing that can't be repaired. We have yet to assess the state of tracks out on the station.
However sadly the town of Kalbarri has been severely impacted and is in no state to welcome visitors. There is no power or fuel and all shops and businesses are closed while the extent of the damage is assessed and emergency services work to make everything safe . And so, it is necessary for our camp grounds to remain closed for now while our little community takes some time to recover.
We will endeavour to contact everyone individually however if you don't hear from us, please contact us in a few days or check our Facebook page for further info. Thank you for your understanding
Kind regards
Belinda"
FollowupID: 913889

Sponsored Links