Trek Comment: Walkers Crossing

Hi there anybody been on the track recently, we are going to the BRB as well via cunumulla- Innamincka then into Birdsville and was wondering whether my friends are towing a large off-road caravan and would they be ok to travel along WCT with the van in tow?
I will be solo well equipped and self sufficient, though i am very keen to do this section and was just seeing if anybody has recent travel updates regarding the van?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 14:29

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 14:29
It's closed at the moment . . .
https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads/outback_road_warnings/special_notices

AnswerID: 636909

Reply By: Member - Mrmick - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 18:22

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2021 at 18:22
Thanks Les for taking the time to reply, I couldn’t see the track on the SA track site.
Mick
AnswerID: 636912

Reply By: cookie1 - Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 at 07:22

Thursday, Jun 24, 2021 at 07:22
Went through about a year ago and it was pretty corrugated, shook one of the antennas apart

Very nice run though and well worth the night stop on the banks of the Cooper at one of the many campsites

cheers
AnswerID: 636923

Reply By: Stevemac - Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 19:41

Friday, Jun 25, 2021 at 19:41
Not sure if “BRB” means Birdsville races but if so, your friends are probably not experienced enough to deal with it if they are asking the question. Every man and his dog will have churned the track up to buggery on the way there and even worse, on the way back. There are deep sand sections on bendy sections and if they get to the “fail to proceed “ situation, they will be inconveniencing an awful lot of people, especially on narrow sections. There are other options that are far more suitable for your friends, depending on their starting point.

When we went through a number of years ago, it was pretty much full-on concentration keeping momentum going. We got through alright but a few raised eyebrows in the pub when people heard we’d been through… and that was with a small offroad van. At one point, my wife and advisor?? fortunately noticed a jerry can fly clean out of its holder on the back of the van, through her wing mirror. I should’ve strapped them in but was assured it was a “pretty easy run” so didnt bother. Gave us a laugh but the corrugations were impressive and sand often deep. It’ll be busier than when when we were last there.
AnswerID: 636947

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Jun 26, 2021 at 08:04

Saturday, Jun 26, 2021 at 08:04
Big Red Bash ?

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914891

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Jun 27, 2021 at 20:26

Sunday, Jun 27, 2021 at 20:26
We were planning to do Walkers on way to the Bash, but still closed when we came through Innamincka 3 days ago (and guy at store reckons it will be closed all year).
So we came via a VERY soggy Cordillo Downs road instead - lots of side tracksrequired around water, and we're still trying to get rid of the (now dry) mud !!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636968

Sponsored Links