Norseman to Balladonia Telegraph track

hi guys,

I have been a member of this group and used this site for planning a few trips that I've done over the last couple of years now but this is my first forum post.
i have a few extra days off this week due to the Covid lock down in Perth. I live in the WA Goldfields so not really affected by the lock down, so was thinking I might as well make the most of the time and been looking at trekking down the Norseman - Balladonia tele track and was wondering if anyone on here has been down it in the last month or so as I know we've had a little bit of rain recently.
ill be traveling by myself so if its going to be fairly damp and high risk of getting stuck ill hold off on doing it.

any advice is muchly appreciated.
Regards Jamie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 07:44

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 07:44
Have you done this section before, and just asking about latest on a particular section ?

Are you just planning on going to Israelite Bay, maybe explore around the inland tracks behind the dunes and the beach, then exiting back from Israelite Bay to Balladonia ?
Or going further to top of Wylie Scarp and exiting from up there ?

Just asking as it would be handy to know if you're happy doing the west - east direction, or take the other way heading towards home on the main off road section.

I recall the section from Iraelite Bay to the Fisheries Road park exit was quite ok, and it had rained a lot the previous couple of days.

We did the old route from Caiguna / Twylight Bay to Esperance in mid 2018, and did Bilbunya (east) beach camp to Israelite Bay along the beach, rather than the inland track, this part was supposedly quite water logged when wet (and it was raining quite a bit).
If going through west - east, going up Wylie Scarp would be interesting at the best of times without a locker and some really good low range skills picking lines.

If detouring out from Israelite Bay to Balladonia, be sure to check out Deralinya homestead on the way through.
We camped there, really sweet spot under the old shed verandah.
AnswerID: 636987

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 09:42

Have you any coments on this track? I think it is the one he wants.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 914943

Follow Up By: Member - James C35 - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 09:43

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 09:43
Hi Les,

cheers for the reply.

I was looking at only doing that Norseman to Balladonia track as I've only got a couple of days unfortunately.

I've never done this track before but I've been doing some research on it and have read it can get quite wet and sloppy in places.

id love to go down to Israelite bay eventually but might wait for some slightly warmer weather haha.

myself and a mate are planning to do a trip from Bremer bay along the coast to Twilight bay/ Caiguna next year which should be good.

regards
FollowupID: 914944

Sponsored Links