GPS questions from a newbie

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:12
ThreadID: 14243 Views:1744 Replies:3 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to buy a GPS but first I need to understand a few things.

(1) Do I need to buy one with the Australian base map installed as oposed to those that are available on Ebay etc with the North American base map?

(2) If I buy a basic model GPS and interface it with a laptop with OziExplorer does that do the same as what the more advanced GPS's do?

(3) Do the Garmin and Magellan units have the same compatibilities with OziExplorer and the various map packs available?

(4) If I am going to use it mainly in conjunction with Trek Notes to make sure I'm going where I want to, what do I really need?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:52

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:52
1) no you dont need Aussie basemap, buy from USA and be very happy and save about 50% - You cant change basemaps on Garmin GPS. You can on Magellan, but its finding them, the magellan group on Yahoogroups is a good place to start...

2) re read your question cause obviously one with more options/advanced will do more ;) the REAL question is, do you NEED the advanced features...??

3) yes

4) GPS, Laptop, Preferablly an external antenna

If your after a basic GPS, have a look at Adventurer Maps Australia. They are owned by Rudi Paoletti, who is a GREAT supporter of 4wd clubs in Vic, and also lives round corner from me ;) He has some forsale cheap.
AnswerID: 65779

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 18:54
What about the ..............GPS Receiver with Compact Flash Interface for Pocket PCs and Laptops ......... as adv on ebay
Are these any good with laptop or PDA?
FollowupID: 326725

Follow Up By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:41

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 19:41
I would think the ones that plug in to your computer and recieve the GPS signals but nothing else would be fine if you only want to use it in conjunction with your laptop or PDA. However I would get a fully functional unit as you can use it on its own and you can have so many other uses. I have a handle bar moint on my bike so I can tell speed, time travelled and have tracks etc. It is great. Good for running too.

Utemad
FollowupID: 326727

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 22:55

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2004 at 22:55
I have a Magellan hand hels already ... I just thought I would wouldn't mind moving maps, & that looked a reasonable option.
FollowupID: 326753

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:51

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:51
You should be able to connect your Magellan to your laptop. This will give you moving maps with the right software such as OziExplorer. I have an Etrex Legend and do this. You just leave your unit on the dash and it just acts as the reciever while you look at your laptop screen.

Utemad
FollowupID: 326768

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:40

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:40
IMHO, its a gimmick.

Have been out before with a bloke with them, we were travelling at about 1mph so he could read the laptop, which was on passengers seat.

Read archives many stories on this in the past.

Oh and check for the story on my mate in archives, that took his work laptop out, and smashed it when it fell off the seat.. His boss was happy.

YMMV
FollowupID: 326788

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:36

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:36
I find it quite useful actually. I don't follow it every second of the trip instead I use it to quickly locate where I am especially when in unfamiliar territory. Sure you can do the same thing with a paper map but I find mine always tear or get sqished anyway. Using your laptop and GPS is more accurate and faster. Once set up it is very difficult to make a mistake. It was cheap too. I already had a laptop and GPS so all I needed was the software and I managed to get my work to pay for that!

I have experienced people who are unfamiliar with the technology that say it is useless but once you take them and your setup on a trip they soon change their tune.

When on my own I have found that my laptop sits perfectly on the front passenger seat with the seatbelt around it :-)

Utemad
FollowupID: 326797

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 01:05

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 01:05
Trick with papermaps, get them laminated, $5ea at Melb Map Center.. Keep them in a Aussie Post tubething, never get damaged, and can be laid out on wet car, or table.

I'm experienced with Technology, Ive worked in Support for 6 yrs, I understand it, and still think it sucks. Like the weekend with a mate out around Walhalla, when his laptop crashed, he had the whole trip planned on the laptop with his magic moving maps. Lucky I had my trusty papermaps, and they got us round. Or the weekend mentioned above, when Petes lappy with moving maps moved and hit the deck, and the screen smashed, it was of no use then either.

Those that can read a map, and work out in their heads, where to go for the next section are quicker everytime. You also while reading paper maps have more opportunity to spot other tracks and areas to go while your looking, as where a trip planned totally in a GPS/Ozi is like riding a train, you follow the rail.

YMMV.
FollowupID: 326939

Follow Up By: Utemad - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 08:37

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 08:37
Don't get me wrong, there is still a use for paper maps. I find nothing more enjoyable than sitting on the lounge room floor with maps everywhere planning my next trip. I only scan the areas I am going to and the areas around them. I also always take those maps with me on a trip just in case bad things happen to my electronic setup. I have heard of people laminating maps before but I haven't done that. Next I buy a new map I will but my current maps are well used and a bit damaged already.
I don't actually plot a trip out on my computer however I just use it to tell me where I am. Assuming the computer is already on, I can't see how looking at a paper map could be quicker than looking at the screen and seeing the arrow. But then again I don't always have the computer out and I do use maps on that occaision.
Your right when you say computer tracking systems are a bit of a gimmick but so is any other technology in its infancy. The car was probably seen as a bit of a gimmick when it was first used as why would you need that when you have a horse and cart???

Anyway, people use the system they prefer however I prefer to use a combination of both.

Utemad
FollowupID: 326950

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 15:48

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 15:48
These people who break laptops is their own fault. It's not a fault with the technology it's a fault with an idiot who places a $2000 peice of equipment on their passenger seat while 4wding!

I use moving maps so that I can FIND the other tracks and not just follow the trips notes "like a train" and beilive that if you truly know what your doing with the software and have a setup that is smart and "user freindly" it's the only way to go.
However, if you don't go out very often, or are always following someone else then sure, by a map or two.
Try buying the all SW50k or all of the Oz250k maps, then laminate them. Bloody hell you could by yourself a good laptop for less!
What about 3d? Truckster, you didn't mention that part. Do that with your paper map.... Or does that happen automatically when your stopped standing in the rain trying to hold your laminated map down over the bonnet in the wind?
FollowupID: 326993

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 00:23

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 00:23
LMAO!!!
1) These people who break laptops is their own fault.
So a mount breaking is those peoples fault, what fools.. How dumb of me not to realise that was Petes fault.

2) ... and beilive that if you truly know what your doing with the software and have a setup that is smart and "user freindly" it's the only way to go.
Until laptop HD dies, screen dies, battery dies, software crash... the list goes on..

3) Try buying the all SW50k or all of the Oz250k maps, then laminate them. Bloody hell you could by yourself a good laptop for less!
I have all the maps of the areas I travel in 1:25k. Why wouldnt I? Why would I want a map of FNW WA?
I could buy a laptop for less, and end up with less.

3)What about 3d? Truckster, you didn't mention that part. Do that with your paper map.... Or does that happen automatically when your stopped standing in the rain trying to hold your laminated map down over the bonnet in the wind?
3d? Are you talking about contour lines? every map I use has them, and you can read that p1ss easy off the map if you have .01% of a brain. its not hard really...

YMMV
FollowupID: 327080

Follow Up By: Utemad - Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 21:18

Saturday, Jul 03, 2004 at 21:18
I have to laugh when people try to convince each other that their system is better.

What it comes down to is people have personal preferences and will use what they are comfortable with. No matter what anyone else thinks.

Utemad
FollowupID: 327138

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:16

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:16
Truckster, So it's the backets fault? Not the person who made it, or the person who installed it or the person who bought it?

Cars: Engines dies, windscreens break, batteries die, and they crash... Sounds just like your description of a latop, they must be usless too...

WA was an example. Could you not interperate that? Maybe I just did't explain it very well or somthing.

You are obviously showing your ingnorance of the product you are bagging out Truckster, seems like a common thing from you. I was talking about 3d mapping it Oziexplorer, but if you wish to use contour lines that's great, however some maps (like the 1:250k of oz) do not have contiour lines, either do satalite images.

BTW I was not trying to make him use it, I was pruley defending it.
FollowupID: 327301

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:38

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:38
Who uses 1:250k maps?? I mentioned I didnt..

anyway jeff.. your the man, your always right.. go forth and enjoy yourself. you seem to do lots of that.

YMMV
FollowupID: 327302

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:41

Monday, Jul 05, 2004 at 14:41
I use 1:250k maps, like alot of others.
And if telling me that I always enjoy myself is supposed to be an insult then obviously you being a grumpy old bugger is not an act.

I do enjoy myself. Every breath mate. Why don't you try it some time.
FollowupID: 327305

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:32

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:32
Toadskin
I have a Magellan Sportrak Color with Oz basemap for sale in the trader section. It's a bargain :-)
AnswerID: 65931

Reply By: Nicholas from OctaPC - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 09:05

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 09:05
1. Remember that eBay purchases may mean that GME Electrophone won't do a warranty straight swap if you purchased second hand, you will need to confirm the fine print with warranty at the Garmin and gme web sites. Do the same for Magellan USA and Magellan AU. Magellan AU is a private enterprise, so don't assume you can relate the real Magellan with Magellan AU directly. Also, it may take a while for confirmation by GME and Magellan AU as to when the unit was purchased. Often those on ebay are not real dealers but end users. Personally I like the Garmin Streetpilot units with the USA basemap because they always come supplied with the full streetmap CD anyway, assuming you have purchased one with AU City Navigator CD. Theoretically GMR and Magellan AU have to hnour the warranty no matter where the unit was purchased as long as you have proof of purchase available or that the unit was shipped from Taiwan before the warranty is finished. From my own experience working for GME they do account for shipping time as well from Taiwan to USA.

2. I don't agree with other commenst on this, I would compare apples with apples and to generalise the expression advanced GPS as comparable to oziexplorer is questionable. Advanced GPS can have auto routing with voice prompts. Oziexplorer doesn't do that.

3. Comaptibility is apparently ok between oziexplorer and Magellan and Garmin, note that you have to determine compatability with the windows based software. You can't add maps into Garmin and Magellan unless it is Mapsource and Streetsend/Discover Aus CDs, unless you have a dirty copy for the Magellan basemap.

4. I think that answer has been answered.
AnswerID: 66108

Sponsored Links