Tambo Camper still going

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 26, 2021 at 20:23
ThreadID: 142454 Views:5033 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I've been looking for a 2nd hand camper trailer and thanks to a Google search found some old Exploroz posts about Tambo Campers history. I picked up one that was a bit grubby and needed minor TLC, but thanks to info here managed to match paint colour etc to do a quick home makeover. Really impressed with the workmanship on this 2008 model, solid piece of kit for the mild adventures we want to take off on. It's bloody great that you can still find 10+ year old articles on Exploroz for this niche interest! Pics to follow.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Aug 27, 2021 at 12:17

Friday, Aug 27, 2021 at 12:17
Well done and yep that's the point of a niche Forum - try finding info posted 1 week ago on Facebook yet alone 10 years ago. Old info is often relevant and there's a huge repository of detail in the Forum archives.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637676

Reply By: Tryhardoz - Friday, Aug 27, 2021 at 13:43

Friday, Aug 27, 2021 at 13:43

I sprayed the worst of the surface rust with phosphoric acid before cleaning it down then giving 2 coats of White Knight hammertone Charcoal paint colour. Tried rollering it on plus spray cans, found the spray cans were a much better method, couldn't really achieve the hammer finish no matter what nap roller I tried. In total used 4-5 spray cans plus a litre by roller. Might be a bit light in spots and would take maybe 10 cans to do a full 2 coats all round and underneath. Very happy with the result though.

Also scrubbed the bejeebus out of tarps using vinegar 1:3 in water, which removed the couple of layers of red dust that had apparently been on there for 5+ years. Came up looking like new. All such tough materials used, given they're now 13-14 years old. The tent canvas is all still really good and had been kept pretty clean by the 2 layers of tarps that the Tambo comes with.
AnswerID: 637679

Reply By: Tryhardoz - Friday, Aug 27, 2021 at 13:44

Friday, Aug 27, 2021 at 13:44
Sorry it took me a while to work out how to post a photo :)
AnswerID: 637680

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Aug 27, 2021 at 14:29

Friday, Aug 27, 2021 at 14:29
You've really done a neat job there. Next step ........ being able to get out and enjoy it.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 915755

Sponsored Links