Bush Camping

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 13:13
ThreadID: 142723 Views:8731 Replies:25 FollowUps:44
This Thread has been Archived
HI Guy's,Recently over winter I had 3.5mths in WA Pilbara region, great weather. I notice more & more that other campers can't/will not keep a reasonable distance away from others, camping sometimes within several mts( you can hear every word they say), when there is plenty of room to be much further away, at night they light up the area like the MCG. Don't these people realize the main reason to Bush camp is to get a bit of solitude and watch the night sky. Then if you tell them to F--- Off they get upset. Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 13:18

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 13:18
Um, yes, it's a problem trying to find some space. Enjoy it when you can get it. I once returned to my camper and found the steps blocked by a tent ....... unbelievable !!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638308

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 13:28

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 13:28
A mate of mine was camped with his Tvan hooked up on the tug. Went for a walk and returned to find someone had pitched a tent right in front of the tug.

He asked them if they were getting out of bed by 6am. They said "No, why?" He said "Because that's when I'm leaving and I'm going straight ahead."

Problem solved LOL.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 916687

Reply By: Member - wicket - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 13:39

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 13:39
Jeff
If you can’t handle that then don’t camp in victoria, those buggers want to camp right on top of you, not surprising their covid has been so bad , no idea of personal space.
AnswerID: 638309

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 14:44

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 14:44
Seems to be a problem everywhere, someone said to me that some people are very insecure and need to be near others, I say to that go to a caravan pk. Vic did a fantastic job with covid the first time around, great pity with Delta that so many dick heads demonstrated.Jeff
FollowupID: 916688

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 15:01

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 15:01
Jeff S7
Is 800+ dead from Covid first time around in Victoria GOOD? Other don't think so! ie, the rest of Victoria.
FollowupID: 916689

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 19:24

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 19:24
Vic beat it 1st time round,came out with no cases until Delta was imported from NSW by furniture removalist, Never heard that 800 dead figure before,what's the tally this time with Delta( Indian variant)? Jeff
FollowupID: 916692

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 20:45

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 20:45
Jeff what world do you live in? A different one to the rest of us. Victoria all around has been a disaster as far as Covid is concerned - highest death rate (since Covid came here - 964) , highest daily infections over 2000, most lockdown city in the world.

You must live in a cave like some people in the west.

FollowupID: 916694

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 22:18

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 22:18
Jeff S2
I know it is a long way from Victoria to the west, but didn't know you have been deprived of ALL media, radio and TV too since early 2020. Dan Andrews in Victoria has stuffed every aspect of everything so far and corruption you wouldn't believe. Now a Police state. We are not governed, simply dictated to.
You do indeed have a lot of catching up to do!
FollowupID: 916697

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:00

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:00
Well there you go, and if like Wicket said you have no idea of personal space then that's why you now have 2000 cases a day, super spreader events like demos wouldn't help. There are Only 2 states in Aust that can't control covid the rest of the country is doing fine, that will probable change when they let you out, you had to be dictated to because you wouldn't do what you were asked to do, you thought you knew better or didn't believe covid existed, you have got yourselves in this position. Policy makers can only do so much the population has to follow through on health advice. Most of Aust states complied and lived a free life through covid. Jeff
FollowupID: 916703

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 13:33

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 13:33
Yes when you live in a cave and isolate yourself from the rest of the world like North Korea and do not pull your weight as far as taking returnees nor get vaccinated then of course you will be safer. Pure luck particularly when you have the worst health system in the country.
FollowupID: 916705

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 15:44

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 15:44
What BULLSHIT, your just too stupid to admit many in Vic & NSW wouldn't take medical advice. And WA did take in many returning ozies, but managed it much better, no medi guards bleep ing the returnees as in Vic, or allowing infected workers in ( Transport, Ships,FIFO etc). Your saying not to get vax and you will be safer, I think your the one in a CAVE, pity you don't stay there if you think like that, the rest of Aust will be safer, I bet you demonstrated, What a dick head.Jeff
FollowupID: 916709

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 16:33

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 16:33
Steady on guys, no need to get personal.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916711

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:07

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:07
Yes Jeff no need to get personal - see how people who live in caves cannot handle reality :-)
FollowupID: 916713

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:43

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:43
It's alright Jeff, they are just jealous of our success in the west. If it wasn't for WA the country would be broke and we would all be living in a cave.
FollowupID: 916716

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:49

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:49
Hi Kazza055, A big yes to that statement. Jeff
FollowupID: 916717

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 20:17

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 20:17
Hell Jeff, do you really believe what you have posted out of ignorance of Victoria communist control or are you simply stirring? No sensible , thinking person could entertain such beliefs. Rational discussion is the way. What is happening in Victoria is not democracy and is not health focussed, only politically driven. The Chief Health/Hoax Officer isn't t even qualified to be a GP in any clinic in Oz.
FollowupID: 916718

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 17:11

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 17:11
Was inclined to not get sucked into your unnecessary political perversions on this thread RMD but someone has to give you a reality check. Apologies to the OP.

Communism? Rational discussion? The irony. Your one-eyed political "discussion" is barely high school level . I've called you out previously for telling porkies about Vic "corruption" regarding an abattoir and covid iirc. Tip of your blinkered Sky and Murdoch-driven ideological iceberg no doubt.

The facts regarding the initial deaths in Victoria - primarily in aged care homes - are easily found for anyone who prefers information over ideological drivel. The state enquiry summarises many of the problems which led to the hundreds of aged care deaths - including poorly managed and regulated hotel quarantine systems, irresponsible contractors, poor oversight by Vic Health, and inadequate aged care staffing and strategies. The enquiry results are publicly available.

Some pertinent points. The federal govt is ultimately responsible for quarantine in this country. With some exceptions, hotel quarantine has been an unmitigated disaster. To date, some 20+ months on and not one dedicated quarantine facility has been built in this country. Morrison initially said they were unnecessary but caved after Vic and Qld said they were building one irrespective. Meanwhile 30,000+ expats have been waiting but unable to come home for more than 12 months (Morrison promised most would be home by Xmas - 2020 that is!), and people are trapped at borders due to lack of quarantine facilities.

The federal govt is also responsible for Aged Care. There is so much unbelievable incompetence involved there I'll leave it to readers to discover for themselves. Google 'Richard Colbeck royal commission, aged care covid planning' and read for yourself. It isn't pretty.
FollowupID: 916722

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 17:59

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 17:59
RMD, Yes I do, you can push your political bullshit all you like but the facts are ONLY 2 states have lost control of covid, NSW, IMO because of poor leader ship and Vic because some would NOT do as they were asked,Vic beat the 1st round coming out with no cases when the population finally did as asked. I feel sad for the people & their families who died, I bet the demonstrators didn't or couldn't think of the many lives they put at risk. The rest of Aust are shaking their head at the stupidity. Jeff
FollowupID: 916724

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 18:15

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 18:15
The second (delta) wave with its long lockdowns arguably wouldn't have happened had our "leader" understood that vaccination actually WAS a race - a race against serious illness, death and economic meltdown. While he and Greg Hunt dismissed Pfizer's offers in mid 2020 other nations were hounding them to get on the priority list. Later, Morrison couldn't be bothered getting on the phone. No prizes for guessing which vaccine Morrison and his cohorts got even as they suggested (not urged) Australians get AZ.
FollowupID: 916726

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 19:50

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 19:50
As an observer who was in Perth when you had your last lockdown I can only say I'm amazed that you haven't had an outbreak in Perth.

We visited a tourist attraction in WA, the guide stated to the group we can't go into that area due to COVID regulations, actually we shouldn't be here either but everyone knows no one here as COVID so we won't worry about it!

While staying in a large park during the lockdown, the only ones in the park wearing masks were Victorians, the others in the park thought wearing a mask and social distancing was a joke. The only ones obeying your health officer directives were the intestate visitors.

Over the course of the lockdown (school holiday period) many vans were seen entering the park and leaving it, all with WA number plates, many visitors coming and going like there was no lock down on at all!

Yes a lot in VIC have done the wrong thing, so did a lot in WA when we were there, your just luckier than we have been.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 916727

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021 at 10:42

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021 at 10:42
Hi Leigh W, Ever heard the phase, YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK. Jeff
FollowupID: 916732

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021 at 12:19

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021 at 12:19
Hi Bazooka, Spot on, Morrison kept on importing covid with NO proper quarantine facilities and Gladys B NSW distributed it through Aust ,twice, Ruby Princess and Chauffeur drivers not required to use protective gear while taking people to quarantine hotels. IMO Morrison wanted it to become wide spreed for economical reasons (open up), WHY would he reject the proposal put by SA health at national conference that all interstate truck drivers have a least 1 covid vax. Jeff
FollowupID: 916735

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Oct 26, 2021 at 12:28

Tuesday, Oct 26, 2021 at 12:28
The comments about living in a cave/having no access to news & media made me smile. A number of years back (2006) my wife & I flew back into Melbourne after 10 weeks of remote island hopping in Vanuatu. We were sat having breakfast in a Melbourne cafe & read about the Beaconsfield mine disaster in Tassie, except the newspaper only referred to a disaster that *everyone* obviously knew about ..... except us. When asked, the obviously astonished cafe owner asked us what planet we had been on.

Likewise for the past couple of months we have been exploring the top end of Cape York. During that time we have been able to get a usable radio signal just a couple of times. Yesterday we moved into what will be 'home' up here for the next 6 months ( the house at Moreton Telegraph Station) with internet & satellite TV. Saw our first TV news bulletin last night (since early June), dominated not as we expected by Covid related matters, but by the political pre United Nations Climate Change Conference in Glasgow shenanigans. We have yet to discover what we may have missed during our absence. :)
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 916822

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Saturday, Dec 04, 2021 at 13:26

Saturday, Dec 04, 2021 at 13:26
A little decorum goes a long way people. As a Victorian there have been both big wins as in the first covid response and massive cockups like hotel quarantine and the total lockdown mentality here, amongst others.

That said we don’t mind a fair discussion but please keep the language and tenor amiable.

The Squad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917521

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Saturday, Dec 04, 2021 at 14:59

Saturday, Dec 04, 2021 at 14:59
Hey Wicket, I wonder if the 2 missing Vic high country campers with the burnt out camp, camped too close to the Jetstar pilot? Jeff
FollowupID: 917523

Reply By: GarryR - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 14:48

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 14:48
Hi Jeff, I do understand your problem. Judy and I set up camp in the middle of nowhere (Roof top tent). Low and behold on returning to our camp a 5th wheeler had set up beside us with his awing over our little camp stove and table. Not saying anything we just moved our little kitchen to the other side of the ute. After doing so, the big rig chap came and said hello stating that he thought we may want some company. Being polite, I stated that in a 200acre paddock, and camped right down the back, I tried to avoid people for the solitude of the birds and animals NOT humans. He walked away not impressed, and made sure my nights sleeep was hell. Television and radio, let alone their boring sh..less conversation.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638310

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 17:16

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 17:16
I feel your pain!
Its been a problem in caravan parks too for a while. You are given a site and when you get to it there are several sites all around you occupied.
The reception seem to think that all campers want to be in a group.
I put it down initially to the park wanting to rest some sites (grass) and spread the usage on the popular sites near the amenities.
But, now not sure.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638311

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 18:40

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 18:40
Find a spot that's only accessible by 4wd with reasonable difficulty. Guaranteed to weed out all but the hardcore. Usually they make good company anyway.
In caravan parks find the most exposed site on a slope. Works all the time. We use stretchers with adjustable legs, so always sleep level. We also use maxtraxs to level the vehicle.
AnswerID: 638313

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 19:31

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 19:31
HI Core420, Most of the time that's exactly what we do, go the extra distance to be out of the way, THEY STILL come in.Jeff
FollowupID: 916693

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 18:49

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 18:49
Mid 2018, we camped at Minnamoolka gravel pad(good freebie with strong Telstra signal, except for Khaki Burr & “close campers”), about 70kms north of The Lynd, on way to Mareeba, to meet with family before going fossicking at “Kondaparinga”, on the Hodgkinson River.

Just after dark, ol’ mate nudges his HJ60 up towards our camp, no more than 3 or 4M away. Must say they were very quiet all night, & politely said good morning as they left. We weren’t too worried as we had all the southern end of the pad for any private nature excursions.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638314

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 19:43

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 19:43
Just wait till they pull up beside you and then put some heavy metal on at full volume, that will soon get them moving.

If they are young folk, try putting on Perry Como.

I'm sure you can find something to drive them away ;=))
AnswerID: 638315

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 22:22

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 22:22
Kazza
You forgot Frank or Dean! They have similar abilities.
FollowupID: 916698

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 15:25

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 15:25
Did that once - but we just made our normal amount of noise - camped up in the mountains 4,500' above sea level at a favourite spot I had found in the 70s - we had 2 families, 6 kids 2 vehicles on a huge isolated grassy flat on a river bend. Enough room for 50 tents spread out....We had a fire place between the 2 tents - and lo and behold - we came back from a drive to find some fools set up right beside our fire practically between our 2 tents. Within an hour they were complaining about our noise.....and this nonsense seems to be the new normal now!
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916708

Follow Up By: Paul W43 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 16:52

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 16:52
Motörhead Live @ Rock am Ring 2010 would solve the problem.
FollowupID: 916712

Reply By: noggins - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 21:15

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 21:15
If it's not a fire ban time I light a VERY smokey fire making sure the smoke goes in the right direction,
If that doesn't give enough hint I turn the stereo up loud and then have to raise my voice to be heard above this.

But I do find having the Genni out and exposed sometimes is enough of a hint, even the Euros don't want to be too close to them.
Sometimes I even have to start it up and turn the eco cycle off.
AnswerID: 638316

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 14:26

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 14:26
Maybe, but the opposite I've experienced is someone setting up nearly next door, in an almost empty camp area, THEN setting up THEIR gennie...

Not impressed (and I made that point very clear, they moved...)

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 916707

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021 at 05:51

Wednesday, Oct 20, 2021 at 05:51
Impressive wizardry that you can make smoke go where you want it to go. The smoke continually goes where ever I'm sitting around the fire.
FollowupID: 916731

Reply By: Gary W3 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 21:42

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 21:42
Yeah! People are often thoughtless, which is why I bush camp most of the time.
Can't understand why people get upset when you tell them "F--- Off", though.
Must be over-sensitive.....
AnswerID: 638317

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 22:26

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 22:26
Gary
That could be as a result of them not having much to think with in the first place!
FollowupID: 916699

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 23:05

Sunday, Oct 17, 2021 at 23:05
As they pull in next to me I welcome them and ask if they play loud music.
When they say no, I grin and say "We do!!"
They usually discover a better camp spot a bit further away. lol
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 638318

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 08:50

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 08:50
Hi Jeff,

Nothing new about this I’m afraid. Back in 2004, whilst doing a “half lap”, we were camped at Windjana Gorge, big open almost empty camp ground. We picked the furthest corner away from the entrance, and went for a walk through the gorge. On our return, we found a “wiz bang” had camped within 2 metres of our camp fire box bbq. The rest of the campground was almost empty. Whilst they were not “noisy” as such, every time they opened and closed their sliding door, Wiz Bang.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638319

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 17:57

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 17:57
Goes even further back than that Macca. We did a big trip up through central Au, Kimberleys, top end, gulf etc in the early 80s when there were far less people doing the rounds. We stopped for a couple of days in Darwin at a (the?) caravan park - which must have been 3-4 acres at the time. There was a handful of travellers set up near power outlets so we, three vehicles + tents, had the rest to ourselves. We erected our tents and took off to do some sightseeing etc. When we returned a couple of Interstaters (won't say which state because as the saying goes, one swallow does not a summer make) we'd come across at Jim Jim Falls had set up no more than a couple of metres away. We recognised the vehicles and plates because at Jim Jim they drove in and out at speeds which kicked up dust for everyone camped along the track, including us. Fortunately they departed the next day and that was the last we saw of them. It became a laughing point thereafter though - form a circle so the "interstaters" can't get through.

Generally speaking though in our experience most people want their own space and where possible prefer to be away from others unless the alternatives are poor (no shade etc).
FollowupID: 916723

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 08:55

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 08:55
The same thing happens in shopping centre car parks. You can go out of your way to find a place in the boonies where you don't have to worry about a car door hitting the side of your car only to come back and find someone parked right next to you, even though there's vacant spots everywhere around you.
AnswerID: 638320

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 09:40

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 09:40

We were camped at Cobbold Gorge last August in the unpowered area and when we returned from our tour we found a bloke had set up his tent 30 cm from the rear of our camper while he had half a footy field to choose from.
He was so close we could hear his lilo creaking everytime he moved at night.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638322

Reply By: Member - Walter B - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:37

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:37
Being tolerant goes a long way, I understand completely about people wanting space and some solitude, I for one certainly enjoy the peacefulness of the camping experience but remember when I started I felt a bit more at ease if I knew there was someone close by.
Maybe they should talk more about etiquette on some of the 4WD shows to help those starting out know what is acceptable.
To often we see images of caravan parks where people are packed as close as possible.

Cheers Walter
AnswerID: 638323

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:13

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:13
Hi Walter, Good idea education could go a long way, not only for those starting out, in c-van pks you except vans are going to be close,that why I only use them when absolutely necessary.Jeff
FollowupID: 916704

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:27

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:27
Yep, I was camped in a 5 Acre reserve one time, all by myself. Next thing a camper rocked up and pitched the tent within 2 metres of my camper trailer.

I thought at the time it may have been a security thing, they were a very young couple!
AnswerID: 638324

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 15:52

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 15:52
Hi Notso,Yes I think a lot of it is because they are insecure, hopefully as Walter said education might help if one of the 4x4 shows bring it up, but it doesn't help at the time Jeff
FollowupID: 916710

Reply By: Gramps - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:38

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:38
Having a ute with a canvas canopy and the odd well timed maniacal cackle seems to work most times :)

Regards

p.s. If I get desperate, walking around babbling "Head on a stick" will nearly always provide the desired result.
AnswerID: 638325

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 13:31

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 13:31
I have had several examples. Camping at Kalumbaru, people so close could not open the door on drivers side of campervan. Friends had someone set up under the bed of their Ultimate!
Actually same people with tour group set up within 1 metre of our camper trailer at El Questro. the bloke had Alzheimer's so we let it be.
At Wynjana Gorge I set early fire to have coals for cooking at 6 or so, then bloke in Landcruiser comes and wants to add fuel to the fire. I said OK after I stop cooking. Not good enough so drove away in huff.
Then backpackers come (after ranger had left so they didn't pay) and want to take over fire, so OK after cooking. Then they started singing and playing guitar. I went out at 10PM and told them to either shut up or move to the generator area where noise is more tolerated. They shut up. They then left early in the morning to avoid paying.
AnswerID: 638326

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:08

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:08
Seen plenty of the backpacking free loading mongrels do the late entry/early exit....now if I see them come late I notify the van park owner.
FollowupID: 916714

Reply By: Nifty1 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 13:59

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 13:59
Just hang your bagpipes from the end of the awning.
AnswerID: 638327

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 14:04

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 14:04
I once worked with a Scotsman and he recond the best way to listen to bagpipes was from three miles away.
FollowupID: 916706

Reply By: Dusta - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 16:46

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 16:46
unfortunately that's just how it is. Until the borders open up and the bali brigade can get back to being bogans far away from here you'll just have to grin and bear it .
AnswerID: 638329

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:26

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 17:26
Hi Dusta, This has been going on long time before covid. Jeff
FollowupID: 916715

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 20:50

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 20:50
G'day All

Due to work commitments and some stupid covid restrictions it's been a while since I've managed to get away for some remote travelling/camping - and boy do I like my personnel space !!

After reading some of the stories in this post about people encroaching on the personnel space of others when they are trying to get away from it all is probably a good thing for me - coz I have no doubt I would have been locked up for assault should those who not heeded my polite advice to move a bit further away !

I will have an educated guess that the majority of these culprits are inner city slickers who rarely venture two kilometres further from their local coffee shop or perhaps sixty k's on a weekend to visit their favourite boutique winery on a Sunday !

I understand that they probably can't get to their normal overseas holiday destination due to travel restrictions and good on them for getting away but what they are doing is very wrong - but they don't realize it and they might need some subtle hints !

So I think I have come up with a couple options without any violence should this problem occur on my next trip where I would like to be alone and enjoy the peace, quiet, tranquillity and the wildlife of this big brown beautiful land.

Option 1 - Get a t-shirt made with a pic of Ivan Milat on the front ( you know the one with him holding two guns cross armed ) and befriend the new very close camp neighbours and tell them Ivan was the best man at my wedding and he was was hero because Australia has too many backpackers ! Bit of a John Jarrett Wolfe Creek laugh thrown in as well.

Option 2 - Wear a turban and a fake Bin Laden style beard along with a thobe whilst constantly playing A Call to Prayer out loud non stop on the stereo along with shouting Allah is great whilst waving a machete in the air saying death to all infidels !

What do ya reckon ?

Which option do you think will best give me my personal space back that I look for when I head bush next ?

Happy safe and enjoyable wide open space filled camping

Cheers
Gazz

AnswerID: 638331

Follow Up By: gke - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 21:01

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 21:01
Or dig a few shallow holes around your site and have a few bits of toilet paper sticking out of them.
Graham.
FollowupID: 916719

Reply By: nick g1 - Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 22:39

Monday, Oct 18, 2021 at 22:39
I can top all your storeys.
This happened in the nineteen ninetys at Winjarna Gorge. We where camped in our camper trailer when about 5pm a backpacker wandered up and got real friendly and started talking to us. He just wouldn't leave. We started cooking dinner thinking he would take the hint but no. We ended up feeding him and went to bed. In the morning there he was sleeping under our awning! He packed up and left quickly. We went for the walk and came back in the arvo and he was doing the same thing at a camp not to far away from us and we watched him set up under their awning! We where totally flabbergasted! And the next night he did it again at another camp! We twigged that he had no cooking facility's and no car and was just bludging his way around! Amazing but he got away with it!
AnswerID: 638332

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 18:02

Tuesday, Oct 19, 2021 at 18:02
Hi Nick g1, Think you are right ,that takes the cake. Jeff
FollowupID: 916725

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Dec 04, 2021 at 13:32

Saturday, Dec 04, 2021 at 13:32
Ok. You win hahahahaha. This is a lovely story. But not a nice one to live.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917522

Reply By: 5Girls - Thursday, Oct 21, 2021 at 14:18

Thursday, Oct 21, 2021 at 14:18
Having camped from my early formative years all the way up till the present with my children, there was always an unwritten code of conduct between campers that I have tried to instil in my kids. Is it just me, or is it the younger generation who seem to be most likely to breach these ‘rules’ we have lived by for so long? I have found the ones who tend to bend these social etiquettes of camping, look like they’ve only discovered it later in life. Our favourite family campsite is now starting to be overrun with young people more intent on 4WDriving than the actual camping. Not that I have an issue with 4WD’s, or them discovering camping, just wondering if it is simply that they have never had the opportunity to learn and understand camping like those who have done it all their lives?
AnswerID: 638352

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 21, 2021 at 15:06

Thursday, Oct 21, 2021 at 15:06
Hi 5Girls,
Just take a look at our television. How many big-budget 4WD motoring ads do you see compared to any ads for simple camping? It all soaks in to those impressionable young minds.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 916759

Reply By: Rusty Iron - Saturday, Oct 23, 2021 at 10:59

Saturday, Oct 23, 2021 at 10:59
Our last big trip included a visit to Lorella Springs. While there, we wanted to tick off a bucket list item and go and camp right out on the coast. So we drive out there, get to the end of the track and start looking for a spot. We came across a nice area but unfortunately the two best shady spots were taken. One by two camper trailers and two cars. The other (best by far) spot had a number of chairs and a table set up and a pile of firewood. So we assumed they were out for the day and coming back later.

We were three vehicles so we left two there and explored the surrounding area for a good spot but to no avail. We also walked all around the area but couldn't find anything better. We waved to the people who were setup in the two campers, said G' day, How ya goin' etc etc.

So in the end we reluctantly settled for a very exposed spot, and set up our camp, gazing wistfully at the perfect little shady spot with the chairs just across from us.

Later that day, the chair people still hadn't returned. And then - can you guess what's coming? The people from the camper trailers wander over to the chairs and start the fire!! I was gobsmacked!! They watched us hunt around for somewhere to camp but never once said "Oh sorry, we'll move our chairs for you" No. Instead they made sure they had the two best spots and to hell with anyone else.

If you're reading this and it sounds familiar, if you were those people, then I truly hope you had many flats and blown fuses on the way home. And sand fly bites. And got bogged. And booked for speeding. And anything else that ruined your day like you ruined ours.
Nil Illegitimus Carborundum

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638366

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Saturday, Oct 23, 2021 at 18:23

Saturday, Oct 23, 2021 at 18:23
Hi Rusty Iron, I think I know the area your speaking about, a few yrs ago we went out there for a day trip from Lorella and set up for lunch near the river, a short time later I could hear someone roaring through the sand ( excessively) they had plenty of space around but drove over next to us, no big deal really, only having lunch but no need to be that close. When we returned to Lorella at the Bar I mentioned it to Bret the owner, he checked the day trip register and nobody else should have been out there.The register is used so that if you don't sign back in when you say your be back they can launch a rescue mission. Jeff
FollowupID: 916786

Follow Up By: Rusty Iron - Sunday, Oct 24, 2021 at 18:24

Sunday, Oct 24, 2021 at 18:24
Yes, they're fairly strict with that register. There's signs everywhere for it but there's always one muppet who thinks those sort of things don't apply to them.
Nil Illegitimus Carborundum

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 916802

Reply By: axle - Monday, Nov 01, 2021 at 11:15

Monday, Nov 01, 2021 at 11:15
G/Day Jeff

You started something with this LOL!, .. Just to add some more, years ago my Father loved to camp on his own, and decided to go down to the Abercrombie river NSW for a week. A tarp thrown over a fence ,or whatever , a open fire, and a kerosene hurricane lantern , and he was happy as! To everyone surprise he came back three days early", it was to crowded" he reckoned, another guy had the same idea and camped on the other side of the hill 500yds away LOL!.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 638461

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Monday, Nov 01, 2021 at 12:24

Monday, Nov 01, 2021 at 12:24
Hi Axle, Yeah it keeps going hay , it seems to be a prob every where, only wish I had your Dad's problem these day's. Jeff
FollowupID: 916910

Reply By: Peter N25 - Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 21:10

Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 21:10
G'day Jeff, I get the feeling that some people, especially those new to camping, feel somewhat insecure and feel the need to camp close to others. Take it as a compliment (Haha) that they looked upon you as a seasoned camper.
AnswerID: 638769

Follow Up By: Jeff S7 - Saturday, Dec 04, 2021 at 15:04

Saturday, Dec 04, 2021 at 15:04
Hi Peter N25, I wish they didn't, I think your right about the insecure bit. Jeff
FollowupID: 917524

Sponsored Links