Which winch?

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 22, 2021 at 20:23
ThreadID: 143009 Views:6525 Replies:18 FollowUps:32
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Explorozers,
We'd like some honest and unsponsored opinions on winches.
Our bullbar is set up to mount a winch but we've never fitted one. The realisation has finally dawned that the more remote solo outback touring kilometres we do the closer we're probably getting to finding ourselves in a situation where we might need one.
We've trawled the internet winch advice offerings and it seems we need at least a 9000lb but more probably 12,000-13,000lb capable winch (DMAX weights just on 3t, towing about 1.8t of camper trailer and every wrap of rope around the drum reduces line pull rating).
We'd like IP67 or better rated water and dust proof, pull speed not important - if we need to winch out of a predicament then we've got all day.
We're wary of the $400 superstore specials simply because the price seems too good to be true, and conversely, we don't need a $3000 top line comp winch because it's only there as a safety precaution, not something we plan on using often unless there's no alternative. Besides, we can't afford to spend that much.
We reckon the $800-$1200 range should turn up something worthwhile.
A lot of winch advice pages point to RUNVA as strong, reliable and good value for money, but they seem to be sponsored pages so we're unsure of the impartiality of that advice.
That's why we'd like to hear from others and their experience with winches.
Cheers and safe travels,
Mal and Naomi

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2021 at 23:05

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2021 at 23:05
G'day Mal and Naomi.
While I can't recommend a winch as such, the using of Dyneema type rope saves weight against cable.
Probably has that anyway.
If for recovery, you may there may be a weight saving with a smaller than 12- 13,000 lb winch. It is hanging on the front after all. Using the rope extended and doubled back with a pulley block doubles the winch pull and so smaller may be ok. Less battery drag too. I like not to punish batteries. For emergency use a Dyneema or even a coiled cable extension might be good. With both fully run out, ie, winch rope and extension rope/cable, you can then get to that far away anchor point just the winch cable cannot get near.
If in bush stuff, the combination of both and suitably positioned pulley blocks on trees you can drag the rear end back onto the track using the winch.
A long run allows the vehicle to get through mud or terrain it cannot tow the trailer, and then the winch can drag the trailer through via the rope. all takes time.
I had a 9000lb Warn on a HJ61 LC and it would pull the vehicle along on bitumen with the wheels locked.
Always carried extension cable too and accessories.
AnswerID: 638872

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2021 at 23:35

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2021 at 23:35
G'day RMD,
Had in the back of my mind that whatever winch we ended up with we'd go for the dynamic type rope and carry a extension rope. Most of the winches we've looked at only come with 24-30m of rope as standard and that's not enough to find a solid anchor in a lot of places. The pulley block is a good idea, thank you for the suggestion, we'd like to keep the weight hanging off the front as little as we can usefully get it down to, We've only got about 60kg to play with before we're at front OE suspension max rated weight. We've got upgraded springs and shocks but as we found with the rear end, that doesn't necessarily mean you can load up and do thousands of ks of corrugations without something cracking.
Cheers
Mal and Naomi
FollowupID: 917696

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 19:35

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 19:35
Maland Naomi.
I see your mention of 60kg before max of axle here and further down.
You also mentioned buying a winch not too heavy.
I would much prefer not to see or consider the kg limit as a target and to make sure you are as far below it as possible. Not to regard just under as satisfactory. Any bump the front suspension or rear too encounters, will induce inertia stresses far in excess of the max anyway and the weight will make sure bottoming and component flexing closer. I see no point in making sure a vehicle is just under weight to satisfy a roadside check but taxing the vehicle to max minus a bit all the time.
FollowupID: 917721

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 22:03

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 22:03
We agree with you RMD, we wish we were lighter, but for touring we have an aluminium 'tradie' type body to keep everything secure, 80lts of water under the tray, a 40lt fridge and extra deep cycle battery (in back of car not over front suspension), 140lts fuel + 20lt jerry, 1lt engine oil, 1lt of coolant, air pump and basic toolbag before we add food, table, chairs and us, etc. We've just been though our setup and culled everything non-essential, but fuel & water are the heaviest items we carry and we compromise our safety if we don't carry the extra margin. I guess I was making the point that we haven't yet exceeded manufacturer's specs on the front end, but we're not far off it.
FollowupID: 917727

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 22, 2021 at 23:53

Wednesday, Dec 22, 2021 at 23:53
You may find this link helpful.

I have a Runva 11,000lb winch on an ARB DeLuxe bar on my BT50. The winch is fine but a word of caution.

The steel bar plus the winch was too much for the mounts to the BT50's chassis rails over 5 years of outback touring with associated corrugations. Despite my conservative driving habits the mounts failed, requiring a pretty extensive repair.

A winch is probably a good idea in the High Country/Snowies or any mountainous area if you're exploring tracks, but TBH I don't think you need it in the wide red flat lands out west. In 16 years over 2 vehicles I've never use it out west, only in the mountainous areas and then only once for self recovery and once to recover a mate, plus a couple of times for moving trees off tracks - again Snowies and VHC, not west of the Divide. Most times out west recovery boards like Maxtraks or Treds will get you out of trouble.

Perhaps I'm not adventurous enough, but that's my experience.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638873

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 00:45

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 00:45
Thanks Frank P,
The link was helpful, firmed up Runva inkling.
You might be right about not needing one at all, we've got by over the past 5yrs without one, always managed to get ourselves out of trouble.
Haven't decided one way or the other yet, still researching.
Cheers,
Mal and Naomi
FollowupID: 917697

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 07:29

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 07:29
Mal

You mentioned travelling solo and remote.

We do the same but do not have a winch.

The few times we have been in a pickle, MaxTrax have come to the rescue and where we travel, there would have been no solid object to use as an anchor to winch off.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 638875

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:39

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:39
Thank you Stephen L,
We're not 100pc sure we need a winch and the responses like yours have made us question whether we look further into a winch or simply invest in a second set of Trax (one for under each wheel). I think we've only had to use them once. Unless we break something (rear spring, axle housing on separate trips so far), we usually don't have a problem.
FollowupID: 917705

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 17:50

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 17:50
There are ground anchors available IF you want to cover all bases. They work but the likelihood of most people needing/using one is negligible.
FollowupID: 917716

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 23:10

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 23:10
G'day Bazooka, I always figured worst case scenario, I bury one of the spare rim & tyre as a ground anchor.
FollowupID: 917728

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 08:55

Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 08:55
"I always figured worst case scenario, I bury one of the spare rim & tyre as a ground anchor."

Back in the early 90's I purchased a GQ Patrol which already had a winch fitted. On a solo trip in outback SA I was towing a 7x4 off road trailer with some supplies in and got myself seriously bogged in some very soft red sand. Did a bit of digging and dropped tyre pressures from the 18 psi I was running to about 12 and attempted to drive out - got about 10 inches further forward and another two inches deeper. With no anchor point for the winch in sight I thought I would bury the spare which I had only read about a few months earlier. Dug an almighty hole which was way bigger than I needed for a spare wheel but the soft sand just kept back filling the hole as I dug.

Eventually the spare was buried deeply and with a smallish trench back towards the vehicle for the winch cable I was ready to extract myself. Got in the car and started proceedings, the car in gear and slowly trying to drive forward along with the winch working together I sat there stationary for about two minutes until I had about one tonne of red sand and my spare wheel 3 feet from my bull bar lol.

As it was late afternoon I decided to camp there and wait until the early morning when the sand would be damp and a bit firmer. I flattened all the sand and dug channels for all the wheels including the trailer's and had a quiet night ready for a big day in the morning. I had six 20 litre water containers in the trailer and at sun up I tipped 20 litres of water in front of the Nissan's four wheels in the channels I dug earlier and let it soak in for a while before attempting to drive out. Another 2psi was dropped from the tyres and I was ready to go.

Fired up the Nissan and after about a minute it was time to see if my plan would work. Well how easy was that - I just drove straight out and headed back towards the main track that I had ventured off the previous day with a sigh of great relief. It wasn't funny at the time but boy do I laugh about it now !

Since then I have only used a winch 3 times - once to recover someone else in the high country, once to help a guy bogged on a beach with the tide coming in and once to move a pallet of bricks at a friends house.

Good luck

Happy and safe travels with or without a winch

Cheers
Gazz

FollowupID: 917733

Follow Up By: greybeard - Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 18:00

Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 18:00
If it's sand you're worried about, half a dozen hessian sacks and a spade. Partially fill the hessian sacks with the sand you've dug out from around the wheels then stuff the sacks under the wheels and along your path out. Rinse and repeat. DIY maxtraks.
FollowupID: 917741

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 07:48

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 07:48
I always fit a winch, I rarely use them but it gives me peace of mind knowing it’s there.
As far as brand goes they are all good when they are working, the issue is what happens when they don’t.
Look closely at the warranty details and you will find many are back to base style warranties which means YOU will need to remove it from your vehicle and pay the freight to their premises which will be expensive and time consuming if you are on the road in say WA and the winch company is in Melbourne or Sydney.
For this reason alone I have selected a winch that is sold from a three lettered 4WD retailer that has a network of stores Australia wide
AnswerID: 638876

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:41

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:41
Good point. Thanks AlbyNSW
FollowupID: 917706

Reply By: Bricky - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 08:01

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 08:01
We too have had winches over the years....only used to pull others out.
Had an Ironman which I found to be ok, but did had issues after a few years, mainly due to lack of use I think.
Have a kings on one vehicle and a Sherpa on another, neither have been used as yet.
I find a winch gives me confidence to go down a track I am pretty sure is ok, but would not tackle without one just incase.
Cheers
AnswerID: 638877

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 08:33

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 08:33
Except when heading up hill, most of the time you get bogged or stopped you will need to go back - so logically fitting a winch on the rear would be better but does not look as good as on the front.
AnswerID: 638878

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 08:42

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 08:42
True. If you have enough rope, snatch blocks, shackles, tree protectors and anchor points you can winch backwards with a front mounted winch.

Link
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917701

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 09:02

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 09:02
I don’t necessarily agree with you, there are plenty of scenarios where you can be just caught in a wet patch on a track you need to pull yourself through

The potential scenarios are endless really, the ultimate solution is a front and rear winch but that is not a viable option for most
FollowupID: 917703

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 09:51

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 09:51
I work on the theory that if it looks like I might be in need of a winch perhaps I shouldn't be there. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 917704

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:53

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:53
David M,
That's been our approach up to now and Naomi and I make a good touring couple - her caution is a handbrake on my 'she'll be right, we can do that'. The compromise result is usually challenging for us, but safe and achievable. A winch was only ever going to be a get-us-out insurance policy.
FollowupID: 917707

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 18:05

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 18:05
Your Naomi sounds like my MrsTea. :)
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 917718

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 18:42

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 18:42
I've used my various winches in quite a number of self-recoveries and I'd say its around 40/60 for going forward or needing to go backwards.
Prior to getting an electric winch I exclusively used a hand winch, so winch location wasn't a consideration in planning the recovery route.

90% of the time a pull of around 1m was enough to get me going again though.

Getting other people out always seems to be much harder work.
FollowupID: 917719

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:01

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:01
If you do get a winch….use it.
Once every 6mths at least, operate it in and out….don’t leave it sitting idle for yrs then expect it to work when you need it .
Easy for me as I use it to winch my hybrid out of the side of the house…only 3 metres, but it gets wound out 6 metres to get there !
AnswerID: 638880

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 12:29

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 12:29
Thanks Gronk. That seems to be very good advice and mentioned by others on this thread.
FollowupID: 917709

Reply By: Pepper - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:06

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:06
Have you considered a device called " bog out " ??
It is an aust made device that is low cost , light weight and will work from either front or back..largely replacing a winch for perhaps your intended use..

Worth a look ..
AnswerID: 638881

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 15:35

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 15:35
I considered a Bog -out.
It has one major drawback, in my view.
It is good for just a hand full of metres. If you are still bogged after that, what then? The devise is now neatly and tightly wrapped around the wheels and you can not get it out to have another go.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 917712

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:25

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 11:25
We have a 6T vehicle and a Warn 16.5Ti winch (16,500lb).
It gets used about 4 times per decade, 75% of that to rescue others. But when you need it, there are not many other alternatives.
Ours is mounted on a DIY cradle and it plugs into a Hayman Rheese syle hitch either at the front or the back (or anywhere else that is convenient) and it can also be used "remotely" via an "extension cord". This is the best way to use it as the winch always ponts directly towards the anchor pont meaning the cable lays up evenly rather than all on one side of the drum.
It can be attached to any part of the vehicle that is convenient, or even to something not on the vehicle (limited by the length of the "extension cord").
Theoretically it could be used to put the vehicle back on its wheels if it fell over.

If you decide not to have a winch, the next most useful recovery items are a very good compressor and a shovel. Most boggings simply require lots of airing down (the earlier the better). Plus a snatch strap for when some other vehicle arrives.
We don't carry max tracks.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 638882

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 14:24

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 14:24
We travel remote & alone.
The winch on the front of our Patrol has had occasional use, but never yet been needed to recover the vehicle. Its a Warn XD 9000 originally fitted to the vehicle by it's owner - Telstra. Combined weight of our loaded car & Tvan is around the 5t mark. We have a snatch block, possibly two, but have never used them (which is why I can't recall if we left one at home last time we were there).

We have used our winch to pull fallen trees out of the way , but could have done the same by driving/reversing using a tow rope, but the winch saved the need for unhitching our Tvan. We have used it to help someone in a remote location to load a poly water tank onto a trailer, but the one time we were exceptionally glad we had it was to winch our Tvan from a bogged position at the edge of a sand dune alongside the Ord River, using our trusty shovel as a 'skid' underneath the jockey wheel. Without the winch we would never have managed the situation alone.

That said, airing down & a shovel have got us out of a few sticky situations, but more often what has saved us has been stopping before we got in too deep. In 4 plus years of fulltime travel we have used our single pair of maxtrax twice. Both times they worked very well.

We also have a front diff locker & in terms of peace of mind, if I had to choose between diff lock & winch, the diff lock would win, both for it reducing the need for speed/momentum to 'get through' & reducing the chance of bogging in the first place. Having both however is indeed reassuring.

I agree with Alby, the winch is a peace of mind thing, & with Peter - you don't need it until you need it.

Given the choice I think I would probably prefer a PTO type winch like we have on the Toyota ute we currently have the use of where we are caretaking, just because of the increased reliability factor on something rarely used.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 638885

Follow Up By: greybeard - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 14:50

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 14:50
Something to consider is that depending upon how you are stuck (swimming springs to mind) a PTO isn't going to help if the engine isn't working.
FollowupID: 917711

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 17:36

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 17:36
Thanks Cuppa, much appreciate your views. We've not been in a position where we've needed a winch before so there's always the question, will we ever need one? Like you, we carry a long handled shovel and are prepared to use it, but as you say, you don't need a winch until you really need a winch.
FollowupID: 917715

Reply By: greybeard - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 14:54

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 14:54
Snatch block and plenty of cable to reach an anchor point.
Also consider a hand winch like a Tirfor. Yes it's hard work but by using a snatch block and having the ability to usually winch in the desired direction can usually get you out. And having used one you will engage the brain before the ego next time so you don't have to use it again ;)
AnswerID: 638886

Reply By: Hoyks - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 16:27

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 16:27
I went with a Carbon Winch 12K, I was going to drop the $$ on a Runva 11000lb, but their prices went up and they didn't have any stock when I was ready. The Carbon 12K has done me well though. 5years installed and always works when I push the button. Its had a flogging on a few occasions, with an evening pulling a Patrol with a fried clutch 100m up a sand dune to get it off the beach. Single line pull and it hardly got warm.

A winch with Dyneema (not dynamic rope, completely different animal) is the way to go. The plastic rope is lighter, much easier to work with, doesn't slice your hands up and if you do snap a line, it can be repaired back to full strength with basic tools on the side of the road. Down side is abrasion and heat resistance, but both can be managed.
I also have a Tirfor, it always works and is immune to water but its heavy, solw to set and pack up, really slow to move a vehicle and hard work. It does make you a better driver as you don't want to get stuck in the 1st place.

With an electric winch, its a good idea to power it out and in each month as corrosion on the solenoid terminals can accumulate and stop it working when you need it.

From all the models I looked at a 9000lb and a 12000lb winch were basically the same (same motor, current draw, same foot print, same dimensions), its just the gearing that changed and the line speed on the 12k was slower.
Under full load it doesn't make much difference as the time saved in only having to rig for a single line pull compensated for the slower speed and a 12k with only 1/3rd or the rope off the drum is pulling at around the same power as 9000 lb with all the rope off the drum anyway.

As for water ingress, where a winch is fitted makes it inherently prone to water damage. Even winches that have never done a water crossing still cop a flogging with rain and spray that can get enough moisture in there to cause damage. I've seen more than a few with water and corrosion damage to the motor housing or the brushes.
I just accepted it as the way of the world and hosed the inside of the motor housing with WD40 and CRC Lectrashield as a preventative measure. It seems to have work as I haven't had any issues with it at all.

A bit of discussion about warranties can be found here: 4WD Earth Winch warranty discussion.

One consideration though: I have a steel bar and the winch on the front of a BT50. With extra weight and only myself in the front seat, I have a whole 70kg before I reach the maximum front axle loading for the vehicle (1450kg). If you have a passenger and want to stick a 2nd batter under the bonnet (if there is room), you might find you run out of capacity.
AnswerID: 638888

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 17:54

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 17:54
Thank you for your comments Hoyks.
The two winches you mentioned are top of our list at this stage and without actually looking in that much detail yet at specs like gearing on individual models, we had assumed motor hp, current draw, weight etc would be the same between 9k and maybe 13k. Looking for an IP67 rating so dust and water not a problem but the WD40 and Lectrashield is a good idea. We had a weight issue with the rear end so I know the load front and rear, still got 60kg before I'm at limit on the front, add a winch and I should have roughly about 25-30kgs to spare.
FollowupID: 917717

Reply By: Arebiru S - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 17:25

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 17:25
Very useful found here!
AnswerID: 638889

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 19:47

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 19:47
G’day
I haven’t read all the replies , but would like to make a comment.
2018 we travelled to the east Kimberly via the Simpson desert
And back via the canning stock route. Sand driving is mostly tyre pressure and a little bit of experience. Don’t be scared if bogged to drop pressure to 10 psi or even lower. Mud’s different but probably shouldn’t be there anyway.
In the preparation period I purchased a set of 4 maxtrax. And discussed a winch with my local TJM dealer, he basically advised me since I had reasonable off-road experience I probably didn’t need a winch.
He said he’d had one for years , and never used it to get out of being stuck. Only used it for other job’s like standing up a vehicle hoist.
We did that trip and the maxtrax didn’t get used , and still haven’t.
So consider what you really need before parting with your cash.
Cheers
AnswerID: 638890

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 19:52

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 19:52
Oh and for piece of mind , spend your saved money on beer or something really important!
FollowupID: 917722

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 20:34

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 20:34
I tend to agree, winches for a solo vehicle in a sandy desert are probably well down the list of go-to recovery equipment. I too have used mine for gardening or demolishing the old house, probably more than I have used it for recovery.

You need an anchor to winch off and good, solid trees are a bit thin on the ground. Sand is a pain to build a ground anchor in and your just as likely to just pull it closer to the stranded vehicle. I tried it once, an hours hard work, just to watch the spare tyre pushing a pile of sand in front of it as it climbed out of the pit... it was only a suzuki sierra on the other end of the winch too.
You can buy folding ground anchors, but they are bulky and heavy, not the thing you want to haul around in the off chance you may need it. They also make a big tarp that gets filled with sand, but you have to shovel it.

A couple more Maxtrax, a long handled shovel and a tyre gauge will probably get you further. No doubt a winch is handy, but as said above sometimes it just pulls you deeper into the muck.

You don't only need a winch either, you need a tree trunk protector, extension straps/ropes (because that anchor tree is just that bit further than your cable), shackles (soft or metal), snatch blocks or pulleys... it all adds up in weight and $$.
FollowupID: 917725

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 21:53

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 21:53

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 917726

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 23:34

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 23:34
Thanks for your thoughts shane r1, Hoyks and for the pix Peter-n-Margaret . I like the idea of spending saved money on beer. That's an important consideration.
FollowupID: 917729

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:00

Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:00
Hope that first photo wasn't a test run Peter. That's some major earth works. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 917734

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:05

Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:05
And I did not get to test it as some help came along.
The sandy one was a second attempt at the same spot and that one worked with a turfor. I have learned to do the job properly the first time :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 917735

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:30

Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:30
" Some help came along" You must of had a pack of playing cards with you. Always carry a pack myself as a backup. :)
Dave
FollowupID: 917738

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:52

Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 10:52
This was half way out.....

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 917739

Reply By: Member - Wooly - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 20:51

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 20:51
I have a Runva 13XP, only used in anger twice and worked fine with no issues. Only cost $900.00 which I thought was good value. I did look at the Carbon winches as well at a similar price but I read a lot of reviews regarding waterproofing and warranty which made my mind up to go with the Runva.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638893

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 23:41

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 23:41
Thanks Wooly. Yep, I gather the Carbon waterproofing is something along the lines of 'we've made it pretty waterproof, you probably won't drown it' and it is pretty good from what I hear, whereas the Runva is IP67 rated which means it's certified not to let dust and water in.
FollowupID: 917730

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 17:45

Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 17:45
I also have a Runva. Used it 3 times (once for myself, twice for others). In the past I have found a winch good not because it is a last resort to get free, but it can save a lot of work (road building, digging), can take some stress of the environment and the track (road building, digging) and saves bashing around on suspension and CVs. All a matter of situation and time, of course.

Another thing is, unless really simple (in which case it is quick) I hate snatching!

Cheers, Mark
FollowupID: 917740

Follow Up By: Member - Wooly - Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 19:33

Friday, Dec 24, 2021 at 19:33
That's true too Mark.

I only really worried about it as we also travel solo and can be good insurance.

As others have said, most times you only need to move forward a couple of metres to get out of strife.

Also good to assist others if required.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917743

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 21:55

Thursday, Dec 23, 2021 at 21:55
It all relates back to money ?? pay peanuts and you will get monkeys.. if you want something to work when you need it buy quality and have it serviced regularly . This idea of buying cheap knock off brands and you can buy three of them compared to one good one is a load of bulshit
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 638894

Reply By: Gbc.. - Sunday, Dec 26, 2021 at 09:43

Sunday, Dec 26, 2021 at 09:43
I had the original Aldi winch on a Ute for 8 years.
I now have a kings winch which was on the ranger and is waiting for a bullbar on the new Ute. I have used both in anger maybe 20 times and they haven’t let me down. The kings one has dyneema rope. I’d buy it again no problem.
AnswerID: 638918

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Wednesday, Dec 29, 2021 at 17:49

Wednesday, Dec 29, 2021 at 17:49
We had a Runva one and found the control box failed twice without being used much. It got replaced by a TJM one thanks to an insurance claim. The installer didn't mount the control box properly - it rattles around inside the bullbar rather than being screwed into place. Despite rattling for 4 years and the winch not being used for about 3 years I was happily amazed the other weekend when I got stuck and it all worked. A big tick to TJM from me. On the other hand the wireless remote died pretty quickly... the cable one works.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 638941

Sponsored Links