Place Comment: Land of the Giants Caravan Park

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 19, 2022 at 15:52
ThreadID: 143121 Views:4225 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Now called Left of Field
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2022 at 18:46

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2022 at 18:46
That is strange. When were were at Mt Field in January 2018 there was a small quirky caravan park just west of the entrance to Mt Field, on the side of the Gordon River Road called Left of Field Camping & Gardens. They have a current facebook page.

The Land of the Giants CP is listed (on it's web site) as being on Lake Dobson Road - inside the National Park campground. It also says it is a national park caravan park.

To confuse matters further the EoTopo map shows the Land of the Giants CP being in a different location to either of thse two places - nearby on Weir Road.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639157

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2022 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2022 at 19:18
I have camped at the Left of Field park and can confirm that it is where it is shown in the EOTopo satellite view with a little green triangle. The Land of the Giants is also where it listed in green with a green triangle. The caravan park symbol across the Teynna River from Left of Field is in the wrong place.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918134

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2022 at 20:07

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2022 at 20:07
Peter are you suggesting that The Land of the Giants CP & the Mt Field campground are one & the same?

That is possible I suppose, but doesn't match with what Suzanne has reported.

Something isn't quite right.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918135

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2022 at 22:37

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2022 at 22:37
Cuppa, I was using the names on the EOTopo maps in my reply. When I first reviewed what she was saying I opened the place and opened the map to EOTopo satellite view. Have a look at , you will see two parks on it with little green triangular tent symbols on it. I also did a quick net search and found Land of the Giants Caravan Park , that indicates the park is in the NP entrance near the info centre.

"but doesn't match with what Suzanne has reported." The way I read Suzanne's post was that she is saying the park in the entrance to the national park has been renamed "Left of Field." It has not been renamed, I was there shortly after Adrian had opened it and it was Left of Field then.

When I queried may first reply I had a look at Badgers and WikiCamps. WickiCamps calls the one in the NP entrance Mount Field National Park Campground. Badgers has a note "Was the Land of the Giants Caravan Park. 90 Lake Dobson Rd."

After seeing what you said and looking at your map (that is a little different from mine,) I can concede that she could have meant that the caravan symbol has had a new name.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 918140

Sponsored Links