Bridgetown Fires - Motherhen

Submitted: Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 11:52
ThreadID: 143202 Views:4446 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hoping that Motherhen, an old Exploroz name, is safe and well with the fires currently devouring Bridgetown.
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 11:58

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 11:58
Have not seen her online here for years.

Yes, hope she is safe and well
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639370

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 12:02

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 12:02
She has a Lifetime Membership so look her up in the Members list and drop her a Member Message.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 639371

Reply By: kgarn - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 12:57

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 12:57
As per a report by Stephen on the Caravanners Forum :

"I just spoke with MH. I hope she doesn’t mind a brief report for all of you good people.

The fire ran right over the top of their property with unbelievable speed.

All fences are destroyed.

All feed is burnt.

The main shed, and all of its contents, is gone but their house and van are OK. No power though.

A lot of sheep have had to be put down because of burns, mainly to their feet.

The good people of Bridgetown are helping each other and MH and The Old Rooster are receiving some of that help. There will be some considerable rebuilding and a lot of the essential contractors will be under the pump.

I mentioned that a lot of people on this Forum and elsewhere are thinking of her and she is very, very appreciative.

The fire is still out of control and there is still a fire emergency in that area as well as around Denmark on the south coast."
AnswerID: 639372

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 13:18

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 13:18
Thanks for the information, much appreciated.
FollowupID: 918439

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 17:32

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 17:32
Following the 2019/20 fires, I did two stints with BlazeAid, a volunteer organisation that helps farmers repair fences and other infrastructure after disasters like fires and floods.

I cannot tell you how appreciative people are. Many are fragile after the trauma and appreciate the human contact and help. It is not just about repairing infrastructure (BlazeAid does mostly fences, but they do other stuff as well, depending on what skills the volunteers bring with them), but about support and listening if they want to talk.

I worked with a crew of Danish firefighters who came out to Aus to help. They were joined by backpackers up from Sydney - young folk here for a holiday in the sun who gave up their time in the city bars and nightclubs and sunning themselves on Bondi Beach to throw themselves into the task with extraordinary willingness and vigour. Heartwarming stuff.

Local businesses joined in with donated or discounted rural supplies and materials, cafes and service organisations with food and other necessities. Unbidden, the Seikhs in Newcastle cooked and packaged 200 Indian meals and drove them 170km to our camp. I like curry LOL!.

On the selfish side of it, I found it the most rewarding experience to be able to offer the few skills I have to help some folk in desperate need. BlazeAid provides the tools and materials - all they need is your labour and in return you get fed for as long as you wish to stay.

If BlazeAid sets up camps over there they will be looking for volunteers. I highly commend the organisation.

EDIT: Oh, and if you are unable to volunteer, a donation will go a long way toward helping to fund equipment and materials for the work and food for volunteers.

BlazeAid
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918445

Follow Up By: gke - Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 20:42

Monday, Feb 07, 2022 at 20:42
Well said Frank. We did two stints with BlazeAid in North Qld after the bad drought.
Very rewarding and as you say it is a big benefit being a good listener as you are trusted that stories you are told won't be spread around the district.
I too highly recommend the organisation.
Cheers, Graham
FollowupID: 918451

Sponsored Links