Trek Comment: Dares Hill Tourist Drive

No I stopped at the gate. In laws are relatively local to the area so didn’t want to proceed and potentially piss them off. Didn’t realise that, will go back for another ride if that’s the case. Thanks for letting me know
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 18:18

Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 18:18
Mick

In some ways the sign is misleading.

If you read the wording on the sign, it lists the things you can not do on Collinsville Property, but you still have public access past the grid.

Continuing on the main road, you will have a sort of fork in the road where this wagon is.

The main access and the tourist drive veers to the left, while the track that veers to the right is private and goes to the actual Collinsville Homestead.

Hope this sorts out your issue and gets you on the correct track.

Safe Travels

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639646

Follow Up By: Member - pete g1 - Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 18:30

Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 18:30
amazing.
1st post I've logged in several yrs & S of Clare is in there at the same time.
Good on ya "S of Clare".
Love ya work
FollowupID: 918707

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 18:47

Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 18:47
Thank you Pete.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918708

Reply By: Member - pete g1 - Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 18:27

Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 18:27
Hi Mick,

Interesting world east of the Barrier Hwy in that region.
Stephen of Clare has bigger handle on most SA outback options, but here goes my bit;

Burra Tourist Office has an expansive 2 part exploration booklet, 1st half heads out along Burra-Morgan rd, looping east & then north, parallel to Burra - Hallett rd, thru Mongalata to Dares Hill.
2nd half does Robertstown & Eudunda & eastern wheat belt. Gr8 day trip.

Put the Australian Memorials app on yr phn for added details where-ever you travel.

Supplement the ExplorOZ trek notes with the Burra brochure.

View NE from Dares Hill is a stunner & would change markedly between dawn & sunset.

Happy bush cruising

(1st post in a number of yrs)

Pete

AnswerID: 639647

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 19:15

Sunday, Feb 27, 2022 at 19:15
Hi Mick

Further to what Pete has just said, here is another option that I personally feel is a lot better route and why it is not the official route.

The offical route had you heading up the Barrier Highway through Mount Bryan, to Hallett and then the start of the drive out to Wilkins Cottage and then further east.

A far better scenic way is at Mount Bryan, turn to the right and head out on the Mount Bryan East Road, far better scenery, more ruins and has you running along the base of the actual Mount Bryan, the highest point in the Mount Lofty Range and higher than Mount Lofty in Adelaide.

Then at the end of the Road, you back on the main Dares Hill Road.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 918711

Sponsored Links