10A ozcharge battery charger and maintainer stuck on bulk

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2022 at 19:44
ThreadID: 143389 Views:5552 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya, our 10A battery chargerOZCHARGE in our camper has been stuck on bulk for over 24hours charging a 120ah century AGM deep cycle battery. All the connections look ok, can not figure it out and suspect we will need to go to auto elec. Would appreciate any wisdom. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg W22 - Sunday, Mar 13, 2022 at 22:37

Sunday, Mar 13, 2022 at 22:37
What's the voltage at the battery when charging.
And what's the voltage at the battery when charger disconnected and let to rest for 30 minutes. This will tell you if your charger is faulty or your battery.
AnswerID: 639818

Follow Up By: Sarah H3 - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 17:29

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 17:29
Thankyou, I tested with a multimeter while charging and it was 12.85V. Then half hour later and it was 12.8V. Light still on bulk so I'll email ozcharge. Thanks for your help
FollowupID: 918903

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 08:30

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 08:30
Hi Sarah,

A place like Battery World can provide a free test of your battery.
If the battery is somewhat "aged", it may have a faulty cell and no amount of charging will fix it. Obviously, this would probably entail removal of the battery and a 120Ah AGM is a heavy bugger.
Two other options would be to connect your battery charger to another battery and observe its charging process, or connect another charger to your AGM battery and again observe the charging process.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 639821

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 11:46

Monday, Mar 14, 2022 at 11:46
Generally Battery World will do a load test. What is required is a capacity test. They would need to keep the battery for a day to do that. If it is just whacking it onto a machine for a brief time to test it'll be a load test which can be destructive to a deep cycle battery. Battery World is a franchise & not all franchise owners are knowledgeable about batteries. Some only know enough to sell you a new one. I knew a lady with a motorhome who had been sold over $3500 worth of batteries & associated gear by two different Battery World franchises in succession an unsuccessful trial & error attempt to fix her 'battery problem'. Friend & I fixed it for her with for $30 ............... the cost of a replacement fridge thermostat!

That said when our bank of 3 x 12Ah AGM's started performing badly after close to 10 years, & I had already decided to replace all 3, & got a battery place to do a load test on each, just to satisfy my curiosity, & it did find that one battery had dropped a cell.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 918895

Sponsored Links