A day in the life.....

Submitted: Friday, Mar 25, 2022 at 10:06
ThreadID: 143439 Views:4977 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Mt Dare

Nothing new for most forumites but interesting nonetheless. Short and sweet. The bit about the family driving through then returning tickled my fancy. Like something out of an old slapstick comedy.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Mar 25, 2022 at 19:18

Friday, Mar 25, 2022 at 19:18
Living and working there is not for the feint hearted that's for sure !

I remember staying there a few times when Phil and Rhonda ran it when I took my tours through there. That was a bit over twenty years ago from memory, before the new modern hotel was built and the old pale green tin and masonite building was there.

On one trip with a group of eleven Dutch people along with my three support crew we got stuck there for a couple days due to unexpected rain flooding the place in. Phil was in the truck on his way back from Alice with supplies and couldn't get back while poor old Rhonda was stuck there by herself with us. Rhonda couldn't quite cope with the pace at which these very thirsty and rather loud Dutch group ordered drinks and what snacks were available so Dave, my main support crewman, got behind the bar to Rhonda's relief and took over.

What a night - the tourist's loved it and had a ball. When dinner time came Rhonda decided not to cook fifteen individual meals but to make a large stew for all, everyone was happy with that and a couple of the girls pitched in to reduce Rhonda's workload - dinner was delicious and no-one went hungry. Singing, dancing, joking, laughing and along with what some people might find odd when you are stranded 33 kilometres next to the middle of nowhere - lots of drinking lol.

As setting up our swags in the camp ground was impossible for the nights sleep, Rhonda allowed us to use the covered in verandah on the old original homestead not far from the pub - plenty of room, warm, dry and out of the weather - couldn't ask for more !

By about 1300 hrs next day everyone thanked Rhonda for her hospitality as we were about to head off on what was still a wet but drivable road with the sun shining and still rather warm weather. Well we left Mt Dare with fond memories and a drinks fridge with nothing more than condensation left in it lol lol !

Got about 15 k's down the road when a large group of vehicles was spotted heading towards us so I switched the uhf to scan so I could listen in and maybe have a quick chat ! Turns out it was a Mitsubishi 4wd club on a trip and most of the conversation was about how they couldn't wait to have a beer in the Mt Dare Hotel - I decided it best not to respond lol lol lol lol

The new Mt Dare just doesn't have the same character as the old one but is still a good place to visit.

Happy and safe travels

Cheers
Gazz

AnswerID: 639953

Sponsored Links