Update: Mulgaria, Lake Torrens to Andamooka.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 16, 2022 at 17:59
ThreadID: 143559 Views:5175 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Previous thread... https://www.exploroz.com/forum/143414/mulgaria-and-the-lake-torrens-track-to-andamooka-since-bhp-purchase?p=%2fforum%3fpn%3d3
Nothing goes to plan, but in this case the result was good.
The Government SA Outback Roads website continued to show the Farina to Mulgaria public road closed to vehicles over 3T, so we diverted via Marree and came down the Borefield Road and entered Mulgaria Station via a secondary station track from the west.
We spent a night on the top of the Lake Torrens Lookout (with phone connection) and nearly got blown off with the strong winds.
Then we visited the shores of the Lake. It really did look like there was water out there, but it was all a mirage.

That night we spent along a local creek.
Doug, the manager of Mulgaria Station saw our tyre tracks and found us there. The boss had not told him we were coming but it was all good. The station is leased back from BHP and there is about 800 head of cattle back on the property. They don't want tourists on the main track in from the west to the homestead because it powders up quickly and they try to preserve it for cattle trucks. They have no problem with tourists using the southern track from the Homestead to the top of Lake Torrens and then south.
Just give them a call first.
He could offer no reason why the public road from Farina via Wichellina to Mulgaria was still shown as closed to over 3T. We don't know if he then made a call, but 2 hours after we met, it was open to all traffic.

The drive from Lake Torrens to Andamooka is a wonderfully varied experience.
4 or 5 minutes of dash cam clips here.
https://youtu.be/g7Aba07-824
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Saturday, Apr 16, 2022 at 21:35

Saturday, Apr 16, 2022 at 21:35
Well done Peter and great video
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message