Crewman AWD in The Outback?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 11:23
ThreadID: 143812 Views:4642 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning,

I'm planning quite a large trip next year which includes the Canning Stock Route. A friend of mine would like to attend but I've not heard of a Crewman all wheel drive doing such a trip before. I know they've done the Simpson Desert and various fundraising rallies to Cape York etc.

Is the CSR feasible in a Crewman AWD? I'm not sure if it's the V6 or V8 version. I don't have any photos of his vehicle but I'll attach photos of similar Crewmans to this thread.

Thank you.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 15:55

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 15:55
Have a look at This thread

I don't really like your chances, but that would depend on a wide range of variables - driver experience, mechanical capability/spare parts, weather, weight, fuel source/s, support vehicles, etc.

The Crewman looks great on paper but may struggle in an environment that has caused problems for the most capable and best outfitted "real" 4WDs.

You'd really need to do your homework, and work out Plans A, B and C before you hit Halls Creek or Wiluna. Hopefully the CSR will be open by the time you'd like to travel.

Enjoy!

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640778

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 17:53

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 17:53
Insufficient ground clearance would be a major issue in my view, but as the previous reply indicates, driver capability can overcome many obstacles. Good luck !!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640781

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 19:01

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 19:01
This Falcon is 2wd and did the soft beaches around the Bight and Bilbunya Dunes, which is a pretty impressive effort.

AnswerID: 640783

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 19:48

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 19:48
The lack of low range may be an issue. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 640784

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 20:26

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 20:26
And finding a way to carry enough fuel might be an issue as well.

My son drove a V6 wagon version one of these as a warehouse car in one job.

Thirsty? It used more petrol around town than my diesel Prado on the CSR.

FollowupID: 919848

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2022 at 20:23
These photos remind me of the South African safaris back.in.the.day...
The bottom line is the preparation of the vehicle not the vehicle . We all seen those vehicle in place that we have said ..how the hell .. did they do that
Andrew Pierre White attempting to drive his very old Range Rover across the Stock Route it will be interesting to see how that goes .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 640785

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 07:12

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 07:12
I,d say if it was crewed by local Aboriginal lads it would do the track no matter what was thrown at it!!! They seem to get old Commodores and Falcons into places that wouldnt allow a 4wd to transverse the landscape! Good preparation and careful driving should see the crewman do well.
AnswerID: 640789

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 09:11

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 09:11
A quick story on this if I may - I purchased my first 4wd back in the late 80's and it's maiden 4wd trip was around the Oodnadatta area just after some long and heavy rain a week earlier. Was heading from Oodnadatta to William Creek driving at a max speed of around 30kph as the track was very rough, wet, muddy and also dry in places making it rather dangerous to travel any faster.

This missus was getting a bit cheesed off on the rough bouncing conditions and said if she knew things would be this bad she would have worn her sports bras lol.

Well half way to William Creek feeling pretty good about myself in my new tough 4wd, an XW Falcon wagon with no glass, no exhaust and half a dozen indigenous lads in it passed me doing what must have been 70 to 80 k's an hour. At that point I no longer felt good about my myself and wondered if I had just wasted 32,000 dollars on a not so tough 4wd lol lol.

Made it to William Creek soon after but no sign of the Falcon anywhere

Happy and safe travels
Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 919849

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 08:38

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 08:38
Hi Ben,

This is a question that is going to divide a number of people.

My “two cents” for what it is worth, the CSR is classified as a high ground clearance 4WD track. Quite a few high ground clearance 4WDs have come to grief on the CSR. Yes, I understand that the AWD Crewman has a higher and stronger suspension than the standard 2WD commodore ute. As someone else has pointed out, the local indigenous people seem to be able to get a 2WD vehicle into and out of a lot of places that even 4WDs struggle with. However, they don’t seem to care whether the vehicle sustains any damage or not.

Another point to consider, is that even high ground clearance 4WDs have issues with spinifex grass getting caught up around hot surfaces and catching fire on the CSR and other outback tracks.

I have no doubt that in the right hands, and with the vehicle in good mechanical condition, it could make it. Would I try it? No. Would I travel in a group with one on the CSR? That is a question I would have to think long and hard about. There are some people I know with high ground clearance 4WDs that I would not venture onto the CSR with.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640791

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 08:58

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 08:58
Ben,

I’d be worried about 2K kms of corrugations on the suspension, drivetrain & associated body mountings. Would need some serious upgrading/strengthening around these areas by an experienced person.

The corrugations just go on & on, with no respite, except when you cross a sandhill. The silence is refreshing! As for getting “up on top” of them, only tried it once!

Sandhills are no big deal. Only found one that needed multiple attempts, and the southern approach had been filled with wind blown sand a night or two before.

Maybe quiz someone with rally experience, about mods to make it survive. Numerous fuel bladders might be the go to get a decent range?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 640793

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 09:44
You do what you can with what you have.
The alternative is to stay at home and dream about what might have been.
During Easter 1970, we drove a Mini west from Coward Springs on the Oodnadatta Track to Billa Kalina Station, following the southern side of the Margaret River and then on to Kingoonya.
There were plenty of big rocks and sandy river crossings.
An AWD Crewman would have been a dream come true. :)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 640794

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 12:37

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 12:37
Ah yes Peter, but a Mini just dodges around the gibbers.... not over them.

p.s. Why is your front wheel sticking out from the body? Or is it just an illusion?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 919852

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 12:43

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 12:43
No illusion.
I fitted dual 12" wheels thinking it would help in the sand.
It didn't.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 919853

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 12:46

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2022 at 12:46
LOL Peter. Looks like you were prepping for Mad Max!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 919854

Reply By: Matt W13 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 15:56

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2022 at 15:56
Gee, I don't know. Do they have a low range box for one thing?

I think you'd have problems with, as others have mentioned, ground clearance, ability to carry enough fuel, strength of mounts for things such as suspension etc.

If you can load the vehicle very lightly you may have a reasonable chance, but then again, if it's light, you probably won't be carrying enough fuel, water, food etc.

If you were to break down, you may encounter people unhappy to help out, with the vehicle not being a true 4WD.

AnswerID: 640871

Reply By: Member - William B - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2022 at 11:35

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2022 at 11:35
G'day.
I'm not sure if it is possible in a well prepared crewman, it may successfully travel the northern section.
I found the southern part more technical.
But it comes down to the fact that the choice of crewman may potentially ruin a trip of a lifetime if you encounter problems.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

AnswerID: 640883

Sponsored Links