light out on brake controller

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 11:36
ThreadID: 14481 Views:3409 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have just returned home from a fishing holiday with my caravan however i am thinking that my electric brakes are not working properly asthe green light on controller is not coming on when i hook up but orange/red light is blinking when i apply brakes and brakes are jerking. Although i came through Sydney at a busy period i did not have to brake hard i am towing a coromal 505 (16 1/2 feet) with a 3.2Did pajero.What i would like to know is the best way to check them if i hook up tthe brake connection to a spare battery and use a test lamp will that show me if i have a damaged lead without burning my wiring. I did run overa branch of a tree on the road that made quite a whack underneath.
Fishing wasnt that great but will try again
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosscoe - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:53

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:53
Harry,
Can't help you with the brake controller but nice to know you have such good taste in rigs!
I too, have Pajero DiD (NP) and tow a Coromal Seka 505. Mine is the Pioneer XC dirt road version. I have a Hayman Reese Controller that only has one red light.

I'd be interested to know if you have done any mods to the van such as dust sealing around the fridge or rewiring to the fridge with heavier guage cable . If you have a house battery have you done anything there such rewiring with heavier cable or installing electronic gear to boost the voltage at the battery terminals while driving.
AnswerID: 66946

Reply By: Member - Willie Sydney - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 14:15

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 14:15
Harry ,
You did not give us the important info ie How was the fishing ?
Willie
AnswerID: 66953

Reply By: harry5 - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:27

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 18:27
Rosscoe
Have not done any mods. to van as have never had any problems with voltage and usually have 2 fridges going As for Miissbissy Did (NP) love the car goes anywhere on the beach but i cant help dragging off the lights with the van on has sooo much power was just reading on pajero chat room some economy figures mine are good but not what others are getting.I feel i know why
Harry
AnswerID: 66999

Reply By: andysgu - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:11

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:11
Harry if you have a test lamp just hook it up to the 7 pin plug at the back pin 3 the white wire is the earth and pin 5 the blue wire should be the electric brakes .
Check the wiring under the van as well where the wires leave the chassis and run into the back plate of the brake the wiring is under stess from constant movement.

Andy
AnswerID: 67026

Reply By: harry5 - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:35

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 20:35
Andy thanks for the info will try it in the morning.Its a Tshkonka (spelling ?) is the circuit to brakes and then to earth so if i just pierce the lead or test connections it should show up hey.
AnswerID: 67032

Follow Up By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 22:49

Thursday, Jul 08, 2004 at 22:49
Hi Harry

I have just been thru this whole saga of Faultfinding Electric Brakes. I have put 3 documents in a ZIP file that i used to sus out my brakes
Just click on this link and select Electric Brake Link to download the file.

Cheers Cruisin
FollowupID: 327802

Reply By: harry5 - Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 20:55

Saturday, Jul 10, 2004 at 20:55
Problem solved thanks for your help i started offwith the test lamp and have come to the conclusion that the problem is in the female plug on the back of my car as the light comes on when the plug is first placed together but when pushed in goes out i have tried it on another vehicle and no problems light came on have opened the pins and sprayed in the plug holes.so will take it back to dealer as they fitted it and its under warranty still pleased its not the caravan. thanks
AnswerID: 67257

Sponsored Links