How to remove Dometic 3-way (RM2350) from Jayco pop-top?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 14:05
ThreadID: 145291 Views:4220 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have a Dometic 3-way fridge fitted in our 2003 Jayco Freedom pop-top. Our previous Jayco Penguin had a T-rated Dometic 3-way and it worked well, but the standard unit in the Freedom has struggled despite having Karls Cool RV fans fitted both internally and externally. Last week's 39C temps in Griffith were the last straw, with the fridge reaching 18C internally despite being run on gas.
I'm now considering replacing the Dometic with a Bushman 130L compressor fridge.
It seems plenty of people have done this swap in Jayco campers because the old Dometic can be removed through the top half of the doorway.
Has anyone removed a Dometic from a Jayco caravan? Did you have to remove the door, remove the doorway, or remove a window to do it?
Thanks in advance,
Keir
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard M29 - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 23:23

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 23:23
Measure it and find out which way to do it., but other wise try asking at the Jayco owners facebook page, or the Caravanners forum.
AnswerID: 642773

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 23:50

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 23:50
The usual way is to remove a window, do the swap over and then replace the window.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 642774

Reply By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 07:23

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 07:23
I removed a dometic 3 way and replaced it with an evakool in our 2000 model slideon , could have been the same fridge as yours.
The only 2way that would fit in the space was an evakool 110 ltr.
Critical thing is to measure door width and fridge cutout, then it’s pretty straight forward .
AnswerID: 642775

Reply By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 08:33

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 08:33
Our Vitrifrigo 2 door 150 litre fridge passes through the standard Camec caravan door without difficulty. Just need one person inside and one outside. Just measure it.
AnswerID: 642777

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 09:56

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 09:56
Thanks to all the people who have suggested I measure it! In contemplating the job, there were two obvious things to do - measure things very carefully and search online for forums and videos.
I've done both those things.
With the van door and locking hardware removed, the opening is 545mm. The fridge as measured (and confirmed in the manual) is 556 wide. Note however there is a flange at the front of the fridge. If (and it's a big if) I can remove the flange, the remainder of the fridge is 521 wide, so no problem.
Lots of advice online showing how to remove the fridge from the recess but almost nothing on how to get it out of the van door. Most of the advice is from the US and relates to larger fridges and larger caravans and/or fifth wheelers.
So, if anyone has actually removed a Dometic 2350 (or similar) from an Australian-made Jayco van, I'd love to hear how you did it.
Thanks.
AnswerID: 642778

Reply By: PeterInSa - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 12:06

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 12:06
Removing the door on some fridges will allow passage thru the doorway, I take it that the flange, is wider than the fridge + door measurement.
AnswerID: 642781

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 21:11

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 21:11
Yes Peter, it is. But I got some advice from my local caravan repairer today who says he removes Dometics all the time. Just remove the fridge door and hinge plates, turn the fridge sideways, and it will easily fit out the standard Camec door frame in the van.
Keir
FollowupID: 922392

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 13:26

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 13:26
Get the same problem with most caravans - not just Jayco.
I did mine recently. Same issue as you with a Thetford 164L fridge - the front surround was what made the fridge too big for the standard doorway. So I took the front of the fridge apart and after removing the striker plate on the doorway I was able to squeeze the fridge out. I didn't bother reassembling the fridge - just took it to the dump.
The new compressor fridge went is easily.
I considered the 130L Bushman and others in similar sizes. It was pointed out to be that it appears the Kings 110L might come out of the same factory as Bushman as the shelving and fixtures look identical. The layout is different though and I preferred the full width freezer in the Kings. I ended up buying the Kings (110L at $800) because it has digital readout on the controls and a 5 year warranty on the whole fridge - not just the Secop compressor.
My only criticism of the fridges in these sizes are that they have a single thermostat and single element (basically the fridge compartment is cooled by the freezer). While the fridge temp is very well regulated, the freezer temp can vary according to the needs of the fridge, so at times the freezer temp drops enough to soften the icecreams.
But the fridge is very quiet and efficient - power consumption has been a lot lower than i expected.
I blocked off the two outside vents to prevent dust coming in, and ventilated the cavity by the fridge by installing a 5" fan that extracts air into out ensuite.
AnswerID: 642782

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 14:39

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 14:39
I like soft ice cream, Phil!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922388

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 14:58

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 14:58
Gday Bob,
Yeah me too. I was worried that the Cornettos might go off so had to do something about that :-)
Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 922389

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 21:18

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023 at 21:18
Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread. I went to visit my caravan repair man today and he advised me he replaces Dometic RM2350s all the time with the Bushman 130L. The Dometic removal is simple (he says). Just remove the fridge door and the door hinge brackets, then turn the fridge through 90 degrees and it will easily fit through the standard Camec door frame. This probably explains why I couldn't find anything online about the problem of getting the fridge through the caravan door frame - there is no problem!!
Keir
PS If there is indeed a problem, I'll update the thread in a couple of weeks.
AnswerID: 642785

Sponsored Links