Kenwood DDX920WDABS Head Unit

Submitted: Tuesday, May 02, 2023 at 17:45
ThreadID: 145602 Views:1927 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recently upgraded the head unit in my 2012 Prado to the Kenwood DDX920WDABS Head Unit .
According to this website, it seems I should be able to run ExplorOz Traveller on my Kenwood. My question is how do I do this.
Just in case it is relevant, I have an iPhone12 and use wireless Apple Car Play all the time.
Helpful suggestions are welcomed.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 02, 2023 at 19:09

Tuesday, May 02, 2023 at 19:09
I don’t have a Kenwood head unit but bought & fitted a Vhedia unit to my Landcruiser ute. It runs Android so parked the ute near the house so as to use wifi, went into Playstore & purchased Traveller. Took less than an hour to load, and works ok. The upgrade to Version seemed to take longer than the original download.

Have also downloaded Hema 4WD Maps to the same unit.

Don’t know if that’s any help to you.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643475

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, May 02, 2023 at 20:10

Tuesday, May 02, 2023 at 20:10
You will need a CarPlay AI box adapter. There is a post from the staff about this further down the page
AnswerID: 643476

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, May 02, 2023 at 20:12

Tuesday, May 02, 2023 at 20:12
Carplay AI Article
FollowupID: 923123

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, May 02, 2023 at 20:21

Tuesday, May 02, 2023 at 20:21
From the Kenwood site:
"True Mirroring via USB for iPhone & Android, 2-Way Touch Control for Andoid
True Mirroring allows you to display and control your smartphone on a KENWOOD receiver screen via USB. You can enjoy your favorite apps on a large display with impressive sound quality. Before starting True Mirroring, just install the free app “Mirroring for KENWOOD” on your smartphone and connect it to the receiver via Bluetooth as well as a USB cable."

NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643477

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, May 03, 2023 at 18:48

Wednesday, May 03, 2023 at 18:48
That particular model of Kenwood headunit has been listed in the documentation as a device that other app users have confirmed allows access to the Google Playstore so you would simply purchase and download the Android version of the ExplorOz Traveller onto it just as per Bob's instructions for how he installed it to his VHEDIA headunit. All as per any Android tablet.

Ivan's reply would not be relevant as your device is not limited to run Android Auto/CarPlay apps only. Your device should accept direct purchase of all apps from the Playstore.

Warren H's reply is relevant and accurate if you don't wish to purchase an Android version because you already purchased the ExplorOz Traveller app but have the Apple version (required for iPhone). This method would enable you to avoid purchasing the Android version. So give that a try!

Hope that helps,
Regards Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643481

Reply By: Member - PBR Images - Wednesday, May 03, 2023 at 19:42

Wednesday, May 03, 2023 at 19:42
Thanks to all those who have replied.
AnswerID: 643483