Rear Drawer Systems

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 11, 2004 at 20:35
ThreadID: 14571 Views:3833 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Interested in the Forums views on Black Widow versus 4wd Interiors Rear Draw Systems.
Good and bad, I know they are a costly item just interested in reliability, warrenty, general quality and any other views you may have on them etc.
Considering puting a set into my Troopy.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Penguin (NSW) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 00:36

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 00:36
Hi John

I've been looking at drawers for my L/C 80 and the Outback drawer system is actually designed for each vehicle therefore maximising the storage space available (490mm in my case). The Black Widow product is basically a set of drawers with a fitting kit for each model - they are all 420mm wide. I think the Outback roller/slide system looks more sturdy.

There are quite a few other manufacturers offering similar products:
4WD Systems
Dept of the Interior
Offroad Systems
link text

I'm almost ready to commit to Offroad Systems but they don't seem to be in Victoria. Not necessarily a problem if you can install yourself.

Good luck,
Mike
AnswerID: 67391

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 00:50

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 00:50
Hi Mike,
I have the widow setup in mine. been there for a few years. Its great, does the job and extremely strong. Cant complain at all. Hope u find what ur looking for
Cheers Angelo
FollowupID: 328114

Follow Up By: Peter McGuckian - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:24

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:24
Chaps,

I have the Offroad Systems drawers in my GU patrol. They were couriered form Sydney and I was able to fit them easily. Much cheaper than others and really well made. Also lighter materials but quite adequate with the two slide option.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 328135

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:03

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:03
Thanks Mike
I knew that there were other brands out there but did not have the links to their sites.
I can install myself, no hassles there, so it just seems a matter of what I like and how much.

Regards
John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 328137

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 07:33

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 07:33
I know this isn't strictly answering the original question...... but have you considered building them yourself? It can be done for a fraction of the cost.... and built quality as well. If you are half handy, take your time and think it through, you can save a motza!!!
I liked the look of the Black Widow stuff.... just couldn't justify the price of ANY of them. We built ours for 25% of the "name brand" .... no probs so far!!!

Just my opinion
AnswerID: 67400

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:05

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:05
Hi Brian
You comment is valid and I have considered building my own but it comes down to time more so than money.
So I am now looking at the commercial made units.

But you are correct they are a lot of money for what thay are.

Regards
John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 328138

Reply By: MrBitchi - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 08:49

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 08:49
Got the Black Widow system in the Pajero. Looked at 4WD Interiors before buying and thought the Black Widows were better made and the carpet used is much easier to clean. Can also get fitting kits to transfer drawers to another vehicle when trading. Means your investment is good for quite a few years. I built a system for my previous Pajero but they wouldn't fit in the new one.
Have had nom problems at all with them so no idea on warranty. Quality is exellent.
John.
AnswerID: 67407

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:08

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:08
Hi John
I agree the Black Widow seems to be a more attractive unit with good features.
I also have to consider moving the units to new vehicles as I change cars every 3 years (Business Vehicle)

Thanks
Regards
John

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 328139

Reply By: Gazzaa - Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 15:54

Monday, Jul 12, 2004 at 15:54
Guys,
I have the Offroad Systems Drawers (one of the first sets built for sale) and they are fabulous, Ive had them for about 2 and a half years and taken them to Cape York and back as well as numberous trips in the Brindies and Victorain Alps.

Last car (Pajero) I built drawers myself, worked ok but they were heavy and inefficient this car (Prado) cost a bit more to fitout but would'nt do it any other way.

The drawers were done to my design IE Fridge on left on floor and two drawers one on top of the other with a shelf across the top.

Fitted them myself as well as some bit's on either side to flatten top of wheel arches etc. I had dual runners fitted to each drawre (IE 4 runners per) on the grounds that if your out in the boonies and a runner lets go the drawers still work with three runners but not with one.

Offroad Systems drawres are lighter than any other Ive seen and they can be custombuilt to make best use of your space and needs.

If you live around Canberra you are welcome to have a lookj, they get my tick of approval.

Gazza

AnswerID: 67460

Reply By: mikeyandmary - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 21:59

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 21:59
On the build vs buy argument I kind of went 1/2 way. I purchased the drawers without all the carpeted surround materials. I had a troopy that I wanted to put drawers into. These drawers are shorter than the black widow ones though. The drawers ended up being $700 rather than $1300! Got them at Narellan last year. Last month they were successfully transplanted into the tray of our "new" hilux dual-cab

BTW... Drawers may be expensive but they are an amazingly worthwhile investment.

Michael
AnswerID: 67675

Sponsored Links