Colson Track

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 17:43
ThreadID: 145721 Views:1792 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
CLC are issuing permits for the Colson Track this season. Wanting to know if anyone has driven it this year and the condition of the track. I am imagining, since it has been a long time since we were able to travel it, it could be overgrown and very scratchy.
Anyone out there know?
Cheers,
Malcolm
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 18:16

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 18:16
Are these permits for the section north of Camp 5, Malcolm? It’s been closed for some years, so may be quite scratchy.

I’ve done all, or parts of the southern section, south of Camp 5, 3 times since 2017, and don’t recall any extreme scratchy sections. After about 40-50 kms south of Camp 5, the track surface deteriorates on & off, down to around the NE Shotline.
One of our group, in 2021, commented that the track had become rougher, than when he’d done it in 1989.

Probably a case of not setting unrealistic travel times for the track, unless you happen to have Kings or Fox suspension on your vehicle.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643766

Reply By: pedropajero96 - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 18:21

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 18:21
Bob,
It is only open up to the Madigan Camp5. Not any further north unfortunately .... which is I wanted to do.
Thanks for the info on the track, I think I will add and extra day.
FYI, if you didn't know, the permit now for the Madigan between Colson and Hay River tracks is ONLY one-way from West to East
AnswerID: 643767

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 19:04

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 19:04
Thanks Malcolm,
Yes, was aware of the one way rule between those two points.

As Cookie has mentioned, camp sites are scarce in the mid section, and on our trip in 2021, we ended up camping on the track, when the sun was falling rapidly. South of NE Shotline, around Colson Well No.1, there’s a few spots through to the French Line suitable to camp, but I’d suggest firewood may be scarce.

If travelling from Mac Clark Reserve, there is a short cut that bypasses Camp 5, which cuts across the track after the Hale River crossing. It takes where the track from the Twins meets the Madigan.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923523

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Saturday, Jun 10, 2023 at 20:17

Saturday, Jun 10, 2023 at 20:17
Madigan East of the Hay river is also shut. I’ve just had to cancel our June hay river run with no eastern exits being open yet.
FollowupID: 923623

Reply By: cookie1 - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 18:25

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 18:25
Had cause to do it last year which ended up into the night

The track had become significantly overgrown to the point I couldn't see it a few times and had to do a big circle to pick it back up several times in the dark the first real clearing was over the border in SA before there was anywhere to lay a swag down for the night.

It did appear that someone else had been on the track at some stage but presumably some time before I had to go through.

Cheers
AnswerID: 643769

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 11:59

Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 11:59
We drove from the south to 50km north of the NT border in 2019.
The wind had blown small ridges of sand across the track at regular intervals.
It was not a pleasant drive.
20 second video..... https://youtu.be/4opToYte0kM
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643773

Reply By: lindsay - Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 21:16

Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 21:16
We went along it quite a few years ago from Numery Station. Got lost getting out of the homestead area and eventually found our way south. It was tricky finding the track out from Numery's border fence as we ended up at the Hay River going west. We back tracked and found a mallee gate in the fence and were on our way. I think we had one camp between Numerary and the French line. The track was overgrown with small herbage and if you stood 20 metres from it you could not see it.
Nice drive.
AnswerID: 643775

Reply By: Member - sparra - Wednesday, Jun 07, 2023 at 07:39

Wednesday, Jun 07, 2023 at 07:39
I drove the Coulson a few times back in the eighties when I was a supply truck driver on a seismic crew working in the Simpson. Up to Alice and back,6 wheel drive Isuzu truck, great days ??
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 643785

Sponsored Links