display exploroz on apple car play

How do I enable Exploroz navigation on my iPhone on apple car play ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Aug 06, 2023 at 07:33

Sunday, Aug 06, 2023 at 07:33
Hi David,

If you log a request for assistance with the help desk, the experts will be able to fully explain how to do it.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644231

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Aug 06, 2023 at 09:15

Sunday, Aug 06, 2023 at 09:15
Can you run it on Carplay?
FollowupID: 924241

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Aug 06, 2023 at 19:34

Sunday, Aug 06, 2023 at 19:34
Pretty sure it doesn't run and Carplay or Android Auto
FollowupID: 924245

Reply By: Member - David S65 - Sunday, Aug 06, 2023 at 10:51

Sunday, Aug 06, 2023 at 10:51
Hi Macca ,

thanks for the reply , will do !

Cheers David
AnswerID: 644233

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 08:36

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 08:36
Hi David!

I did some testing and investigation some time ago and come to the conclusion that there is no cost effective solution at present.
EO Traveller is not compatible with Apple Carplay, without a complete rewrite of the app.
EO Traveller will run on an Android device and can be displayed on a head unit but the cost is rather prohibitive.
The cheapest option I have determined is something like the Ottocast U2-Plus at $380 (not tested) plus another purchase of EO Traveller for Android for $60. The U2-Plus is an AI adapter the connects wired, or wirelessly to an Apple Carplay enabled Head Unit.
The U2-Plus provides the ability to download Traveller onto the device, then run it from that device, projecting the display onto the Head Unit, a minimum of $450.

In my opinion, there is still little alternative to running Traveller on a phone, (small display) a tablet, (problem of mounting) or using a separate device such as the Hema Navigator.

I have an aging Hema Navigator (HN6) which I still use and also run Traveller on my iPhone, sitting in a cradle. When the Hema dies, I will have to replace it with the current model Hema, or make do with the iPhone, unless of course David rewrites the app to be compatible with Apple Carplay. David and Michelle have stated the cost and effort to be unviable to pursue this option.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644240

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 17:30

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 17:30
Hi Bill, as has been discussed on here before, there are head units which allow wireless mirroring of an Android phone/pad. Providing, of course, you are either in the market for or would consider a new head unit.

My Kenwood allows me to "cast" my phone screen onto the 9" display and control it via touch (I can keep the phone on the dash or in my pocket).

Not the solution for many, but an option for some. it also means you can have any and all of the apps on your phone appear on your head unit's screen.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 924256

Reply By: Member - David S65 - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 10:24

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 10:24
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your detailed reply , it confirmed for me ,what I thought was the reality of the situation !
My previous investigation had told me I could use an Ottocast Picasou 2 AI unit , but this was still around the $400 mark .
At present I use a Hema 6 (which will live forever I reckon!), my wife follows the Traveller App on an iPad on her lap ,
but of course I can't see it and took a wrong turn about 2 months ago which had dire consequences (she told me I was on the right track and we weren't and ended up in some deep water ). I guess I will just have to check it a bit better next time before proceeding!
Cheers David
AnswerID: 644242

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 13:16

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 13:16
The Ottocast is currently listed at $219 https://www.ottocast.com/products/picasou-2-carplay-ai-box so I've just added it to the list of suggested AI box adapters in the FAQ for others to investigate. Thanks for the tip on that one.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924253

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 13:10

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 13:10
HI everyone,
Here is an excerpt from the FAQ section that we published on the Traveller webpage. I recently updated this, due to the increased availability of the AI boxes. I have found one listed for $250 but we don't have one. We have spoken to others using other AI boxes and they are happy and all works as it should. More of these will probably come to market over time.

PS: we both mount our iPhones on magnetic holders, but have a built-in Android headunit in the dash. But nothing wrong with using a phone for navigation to avoid going down "the wrong track", or seeing where you are on a track. Remember the phone generally has a better screen resolution than cheaper tablets so you can actually see quite a lot of detail. Don't underestimate the value of navigation with your phone - first hand experience it is my preference anyway.

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644244

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 19:20

Monday, Aug 07, 2023 at 19:20
Seeing that nearly every new car on the market come standard with Car Play, you could be missing out on a very big market if it could be made compatible.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924258

Sponsored Links