Towing Van into Brisbane

Submitted: Friday, Sep 22, 2023 at 23:32
ThreadID: 146292 Views:2064 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Sometime next year the wife and I will be towing our small van from W.A. to Brisbane. I'm asking which is the best way to get into Brisbane proper. We have previously travelled over by car without the van and entered Qld at Tenterfield then went through the ranges on our way intoBrisbane. I'm not at all keen on taking the same route while towing so would it be easier on vehicles and me to come in via Goondiwindi then up through Toowoomba and Ipswaich?
Many thanks for any replies.

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Sep 23, 2023 at 07:29

Saturday, Sep 23, 2023 at 07:29
Yes John, the Toowoomba bypass is the way to go, then just follow the road into Brisbane. Ipswich is bypassed.

If you happen to miss the exit onto the Toowoomba bypass ( as I did once) no problem, just go through Toowoomba. When I missed the exit, I eventually re-joined the Toowoomba-Brisbane highway after going through the centre of Toowoomba, right behind the vehicle of our travelling companion who went via the bypass , so there was a zero difference in time. I might have been lucky, but the bypass has made travelling through Toowoomba much faster because all the large trucks use the bypass now.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644470

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Saturday, Sep 23, 2023 at 08:23

Saturday, Sep 23, 2023 at 08:23
It should be added that the Toowoomba bypass is a Toll Rd.
FollowupID: 924577

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Sep 23, 2023 at 23:28

Saturday, Sep 23, 2023 at 23:28
Yes, it’s very important for people from States that do not have Toll roads, like here in W.A., to be aware of these things. They can get expensive.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 924585

Follow Up By: Geoff K4 - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 08:41

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 08:41
Just remember the roads from Narrabri through Goondiwindi to near Toowoomba are very rough approach with caution towing a van. Once you get close to Toowoomba the road improves. All due to the rain and flood damage. Went that way in August this year. The New England highway is a bit better.
FollowupID: 924587

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 10:24

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 10:24
Jim, what concerns you most, the undulating country from Tenterfield up or the steep descents from Cunningham's gap or Toowoomba? Most people I know of are more concerned with the big long descents than the undulating country. You still have the same big descents no matter which route you take.

Also, I would not worry about hills making it tough on your tug. It does the motors more good than harm by giving them a good hard bit of work to do every trip or two. If you blow the cobwebs out of them frequently then your motor will actually last longer. Just watch your temperature gauge and don't overdo things.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 644475

Reply By: Member - Happy Explorer - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 20:11

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 20:11
Hi John

I live in Toowoomba and agree with the other replies. While the Toowoomba bypass may be the easiest you still have to cross the range. I have actually never been on the bypass even though I live here so can't say just how steep it is. It would have to be the best option though. If as you say, you only have a small van then I would not be too concerned. We travel down the range and up again regularly on the old road with our single axle crossover when heading to Brisbane or the coast. All easy peasy really. Plenty of larger vans on that road as well.
Another option is to head across to the coast further south in NSW. Probably generally the worst road options but some real nice scenery in some of those places. Then just head up to Brisbane on the Pacific Highway. I have towed our van on most of the east west highways through there and many back tracks as well.
The bottom line is, if you feel confident towing a van from WA then I think you will be just fine on the range.
Slightly off topic John. You didn't say what vehicle you have but if it is something like a four cylinder diesel twin cab etc with an auto transmission then I would definitely be fitting a temp gauge to the transmission. I have a gauge plugged into the OBD port that is brilliant. It means I can monitor both the auto and engine temperatures and would not be without one now. Many people will tell you their autos do not over heat when towing, I would say that if they do not have a temp gauge fitted then they would have no idea.
As a result I now also have a trans oil cooler and have fitted a torque converter lock up kit. A side benefit of this is that I can descend these long steep hills holding my speed pretty much on the gears instead of burning my brakes all the way down as some do that I have been following.
I probably have opened a can of worms now but for me on my Prado 150 it has all proven to be very good value. Others may well have very different experiences.

Regards
Roy G.
AnswerID: 644482

Follow Up By: JohnHelen W - Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 21:07

Sunday, Sep 24, 2023 at 21:07
Hi every one, and thanks for your interest and replies.

I didn't explain that we're both in our eighties and whilst we have done the lap four times in the past we are a little bit anxious regarding descents. We tow our 16" Jayco single axle with a Hyundia Tucson 2 litre diesel (although we didn't have this on earlier trips used our diesel Prado ) which tows the van beautifully on our trips up to Denham & Carnarvon - but this will be different. Certainly the hills will be steeper and longer.

We're only looking to do 400k's a day with a few rest days interspersed so it will probably take us nearly a fortnight to get to Brisbane. All this just to visit a son and a couple of grand-daughters we only see every couple of years.

Once again thanks for your input.

John
FollowupID: 924591

Reply By: Member - Happy Explorer - Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 07:12

Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 07:12
Hi John

... and then you have to get home again as well I am assuming. Next year you will be yet another year older also. You would have to be sure that your vehicles towing capacities (GVM, ball weight, etc) is legal in all states as well.
John, don't do it, leave your van at home and either fly over or drive and stay in motels along the way. It will just make for a much more enjoyable trip all round.
I am in my sixties and still enjoy any challenges that trips might present. I would hope though that in 20 years time others might be blunt enough to tell me not to do some things and more importantly, I might have the grace to listen.

Cheers,
Roy G.
AnswerID: 644485

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 07:12

Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 07:12
OK John

If you are not keen on steep descents, then definitely use the Toowoomba bypass (Tolls). It's easy just flows on towards Brisbane.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644486

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 21:19

Monday, Sep 25, 2023 at 21:19
Or make your way over towards Sydney and go up the M1. All dual lane, no hills and a very easy drive nowadays.
AnswerID: 644491

Reply By: Beatle Bayly - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 09:05

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 09:05
I drive from Ipswich to Dubbo a few times a year. The quickest/easiest is Toowoomba - Goondiwindi on the A39, then the Newell Hwy south. The A39 is pretty good surface-wise, but they have tarred over the bumps and is a bit bumpy. Newell has had significant damage and significant roadworks, so pretty good now. It is however mind-numbingly boring..... Not a hill anywhere.

If you go this route you will have one decent hill to traverse. Either the new Toowoomba bypass (toll, long steady descent, excellent road, avoids the city altogether), the old Toowoomba range (no toll, steep but short, have to go through Toowoomba suburbs), or you could come down Cunninghams gap if you go through Warwick (no toll, steep, but good road again).

The New England Hwy along the Great Dividing Range is more pleasant, but lots of hills. Definitely slower plus you have to get a lot further east to get on it. All the routes from western NSW over to the GDR take additional time. If you go up the range out of Tamworth, you'll have the Moonbi Range to ascend.

Or, if you have the time, head over to the east coast and take the Pacific Hwy. It must be dual lanes pretty much all the way from Newcastle to Brisbane by now, save for some roadworks. Just be aware of tolls to get through Sydney, and on the motorways once you hit Brisbane.
AnswerID: 644504

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 10:34

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 10:34
Still a restriction at Coffs Harbour and depending on the time of day it can be a pretty slow crawl through there.
FollowupID: 924614

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 20:25

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 20:25
I would have thought if you are comfortable descending Greenmount Hill near Perth with your van then you could cope with either Toowoomba range descent or down Cunningham's Gap?
AnswerID: 644506

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 23:39

Wednesday, Sep 27, 2023 at 23:39
It's only the Western Australians that think that is a hill.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 924617

Sponsored Links