heading west to the Pilbara

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 21:16
ThreadID: 14637 Views:1744 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Heading up the Tanami to Broome, then to the Pilbara, Karajini, Millstream Carnarvon and back to AS via the Central road. Patrol with Aussie Swag camper. Any feedback on roads appreciated. Last time we went up the Tanami (02) was pretty good but heard some mixed reports. Also, having trouble getting a camp site in Broome. Any ideas. Finally anything extra to see in the Pilbara other than in the 4x4 books. Hope its warmer than Vic

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 21:28

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2004 at 21:28
Kalgan Pool north of Newman is well worth a look / overnight stay. Can get over the railway via the BHP 'High Rise' or doubling back on the Yandi Road.
AnswerID: 67670

Reply By: motherhen - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 00:13

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 00:13
Marble Bar (old Comet Gold Mine), Mt Whaleback Mine tour at Newman, Mt Augustus - the biggest Rock in the world (and not difficult to climb), on the way back towards Carnarvon can visit the Kennedy ranges if you're not all "rocked and gorged out". Hope you've got plenty of time to enjoy the amazing Pilbara.
AnswerID: 67701

Follow Up By: Member - Michael- Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 13:49

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 13:49
If your around Marble Bar you can also check out the Bamboo Creek Site
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 328416

Reply By: Moneypit - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 00:22

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 00:22
Accomodation in Broome is still an issue this time of year. Getting worse in fact.

Karijini is spectacular but don't climb the Miracle Mile. Enjoy it from above or do the others from down below [Dales etc]

Take your time. Lots to see and not gonna getit all done in a hurry.

I sit here in a t/shirt and shorts with the back door open so I guess that qualifies as warmer than Victoria. Peters Icecream Freezer is warmer than Victoria.

Dave
AnswerID: 67702

Reply By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 13:47

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2004 at 13:47
If you're heading to Carnarvon from Gascoyne Junction, watch for Jacobs Creek, bear right when you see a side track right in front of you and follow that. You'll go across the river where there are some good camping spots, and deserted stations and stock yards. Worth a look around and is so peaceful.
And I'll still be here stuck at this desk for a few months!!!
Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 67745

Sponsored Links