Colson Track

Permits to drive the Colson Track have not been issued for many years. There was lapse around 2018/9 ish when a new permits officer granted a few before the CLC realised, then ensured they were no longer approved.
This year, 2023, though, CLC have been approving applications. Just go to their permits web page and apply. Mine came back in a couple of days.
There are no restrictions on the direction you can travel (unlike the Madigan), BUT, your permit does not give you access north of Madigan Camp 5. You can only reach Madigan Camp 5 from the West. The head South to the French line, or head North from the French Line, but you must then head West at Madigan Camp 5 towards the Old Andado Track, or East along the Madigan.
After many years of it not being (legally) accessible, it it really in great condition. Tracks are easily visible and the only place there may be some doubt is approa hing the Colson Well from the South. At a 'Y' intersection, the Colson Track bears right. I am assuming the left fork goes to whatever remains of the Well.
The Track wasn't overgrown, though there were the odd bush encroaching over the track. There was also a bit of growth between the wheel tracks requiring a ' bra' to protect the radiator and prevent build up of debris under the vehicle. Check for build up regularly.
The distance from the French line to Madigan 5 is 200km and it could be driven in a day. There are no dunes to cross.
Camp spots are few and far between, with us finding one suitable area big enough for maybe 4 vehicles, around 100 km up the track
I'd suggest, if want to tick it off your list, get a permit while they are still on offer
Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Oct 18, 2023 at 18:38

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2023 at 18:38
" the only place there may be some doubt is approa hing the Colson Well from the South. At a 'Y' intersection, the Colson Track bears right. I am assuming the left fork goes to whatever remains of the Well."
Yep.
Except the track north from the well takes you up the west side of a dune which you then need to cross to get back to the Colson.

We found some of the track quite unpleasant to drive due to "mini dunes" caused by the wind that had developed across the track.
https://youtu.be/4opToYte0kM

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

AnswerID: 644626

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Oct 20, 2023 at 20:25

Friday, Oct 20, 2023 at 20:25
Did my 2nd trip on Colson Track in latter half of 2018, from Camp 5, right through to the Rig Road. The first 50-60kms south was good travelling but deteriorated somewhat after that until near Colson No.1 well. In 2021, a group of us met the Colson south of Camp 5 & headed south to the NE Shotline. Travel wasn’t brisk, & we had to camp on the track, there were no suitable camps as mentioned by Pedro.
One member of our group had done the Colson back in ‘89, & he mentioned that track conditions were much worse in 2021 than in 1989.
We didn’t reach the NE Shotline till after midday on the 2nd day, so after a look at Colson No.1, we didn’t get too far up the shotline before camping.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644634

Sponsored Links