Nuytsland Nature Reserve?

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 06, 2023 at 11:43
ThreadID: 146610 Views:1498 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking for a bit of local/recent track advise around Israelite Bay/Toolina Cove/Esperance please. We're about to drive from Perth to Sydney and while we only have 13 days, I'm looking at the possibility of finding a way to avoid going via Norseman....ie. not going the usual ways (not via Hyden-Norseman Rd and not via the Great Eastern Hwy).

My rough plan was to head directly to Esperance then to Israelite Bay and then Toolina Cove, where we can take the Toolina Cove Track north that meets up with the Eyre Hwy to the east of Norseman.... BUT....

I can't get my head around how long the section from Esperance to Eyre Hwy will take (due to conditions and towing) and if that whole bit will just be too slow... Obviously, we can pick up the pace a bit once we get onto the Eyre Hwy but we can't really manage driving much over 700km/day on highways so maybe this is a dumb idea - the main part of the route that bothers me is I just don't know what to expect east of Israelite Bay on that coastal track so if anyone can comment that would help me a lot thanks. I'm not so concerned about our ability but the impact on timing - how long would it take? It could be a stupid idea....

Looking at alternatives - officially the Balladonia Track is closed but does anyone know if there are alternative ways up to the Eyre Hwy that might be quicker than going via Wylie Bay - Toolina Cove? With our limited time frame I can't risk just "winging it" this time so need to be pretty sure its doable. Otherwise, we may be forced to accept going via Norseman...but the Hyden-Norseman Rd is actually closed at the moment too so that would mean the Great Eastern Hwy is the only option if we need to guarantee our timings... boo. If you have a solution or can comment on the Israelite Bay to Toolina section that would be great thanks so much.

Thanks, Michelle
PS: clarification of our rig: high clearance, compact heavy duty offroad camper trailer (Ultimate) & 200 series cruiser.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Dec 06, 2023 at 18:19

Wednesday, Dec 06, 2023 at 18:19
Hi Michelle,

I cant help with up to date info.

One day I'd like to try the Fraser Range Road (from Esperance to Eyre Highway and beyond).
Also the track from Balbinya Homestead Ruins east down the escarpment to north of Wattle camp.

Travel safely.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644858

Reply By: AlanTH - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 09:46

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 09:46
We travelled the Hyden-Norseman Rd on Sunday and stayed overnight at the Breakaways. Apart from boredom as it's not a very scenic route, the flies were there in vast numbers.
No sitting outside enjoying the sunset.
We had thought of extending our trip and going via the Parmango Rd and Balladonia track but decided not to in the end.
Although the signs say no caravans we have towed ours up it in the past with reduced tyre pressures and had no problems .
Safe driving.
AlanTH
AnswerID: 644860

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 10:03

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 10:03
I’d reckon the tracks to and from and between Pt Culver and Toolina Cove would be typical of any south of Eyre Highway and that means very slow going.

Spectacular viewing along the beaches and then the Baxter Cliffs but …

I too wish there was an alternative to Eyre Highway but it beats flying.

Cheers

Ross
AnswerID: 644861

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 13:50

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 13:50
Hi Michelle,

I travelled the Balladonia road from south to north on 1st Nov this year. Below is the sign at the start of the track. It took me five and a half hour to drive to the Eyre Highway at Balladonia. The track is rough in spots but doable for the experienced. With your trailer I would believe you could do it in under six hours. There is a road closed sign at the northern end of the Balladonia road but not at the southern end. As for going via Israelite Bay, its a great drive and I have done it several times but I think it would take more time than you have. Ron Moon travelled this way a few years ago and made a great video of it. I watch this video at least once a year to remind me of the times I have driven this route. You can see at https://www.whichcar.com.au/explore/great-australian-bight-expedition

Cheers, Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644862

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 13:56

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 13:56
Thanks for your reply - yes we've driven it previously so not the condition and hence was happy to drive it - but I was aware it was "closed" so I rang the shire to get confirmation of this just 2 days ago and they clarified "closed" but yes as we're going south to north I had contact Esperance shire and its that section that is "closed" and the section in the northern part is in the Dundas shire and that may well be open but this is very confusing eh?! David has just had a fit when I suggested we have little choice but to drive the tar all the way - he said "no way - I'm not going then" so I have to find some dirt haha!!! I'll take a look at Ron's video thank you. I have his guidebook and we have an ExplorOz Trek note too but "we" have never driven the particular section that is my concern just now - may just need to do it on "the way back" next year.
Cheers Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925045

Reply By: GG7777 - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 17:19

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 17:19
Michele
For off the blacktop - a suggestion is Lake King then via Lake King/Norseman Rd, camp at Peak Charles NP, continue on to Coolgardie/Esperance Hwy, then north and turning east 19 kms south of Norseman onto the Old Coach-Telgraph Rd. This will bring you out at Balladonia
Do not have recent conditions but did it with absolute ease in 2021 in a GU ute w/- slide-on camper
Another off blacktop diversion on transAus trip is turn south 16km east of Cocklebiddy, at top of escarpment ensure no traffic then proceed down , do not turn right to EBO (without uncoupling trailer) but turn left and follow around past Burnabbie ruins and across the Roe Plains to Madura

EBO - Eyre Bird Observatory - restored telegraph station simular to Israelite Bay and Eucla, now used as a bird observatory and weather station . An unusual spot to visit BUT please no trailers or other towing.
The Roe Plains track is below the inland portion of the “Baxter Cliffs” and gives uniquely different aspect of them. This portion had had a new Optus cable pulled though it in 2021 and was a bit chopped up but very doable

However you get there enjoy the trip and our vast country
Murray
AnswerID: 644865

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 17:29

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 17:29
Thanks Murray Lake King option good idea. Thankyou for this suggestion. We have actually done Tele track twice yes ( 2004 and 2019) and EBO well known to us but as yet unvisited!
Cheers Michelle

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925049

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 18:36

Thursday, Dec 07, 2023 at 18:36
David & Michelle,

A group of us travelled from Twilight Cove to Israelite Bay, then Esperance, back in 2018. Travelled along the telegraph line, which made for very slow going until Baxter Cliffs turnoff. From there, the going may have improved, I don’t recall, but still took us a day to travel to the camp below Wylie Scarp.

Great travelling along the beach past Bilbunya Dunes, and with more arse than class, we struck low tide for the journey. Saw dolphins but no “men in grey suits.”
Departed the beach further west & followed tracks into Israelite Bay & old Telegraph Station & made Esperance after dark that night.

Below is our track for last day of the above:

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 644866

Reply By: Member - Gordon B5 - Friday, Dec 08, 2023 at 00:22

Friday, Dec 08, 2023 at 00:22
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0iRWw5MbPm/
Could be some problems out that way.
He who hesitates is lost

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644869

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Dec 08, 2023 at 01:38

Friday, Dec 08, 2023 at 01:38
Oh dear! Thankyou so much for this - I hadn’t heard. Will keep an eye on it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925051

Sponsored Links