Salvator Rosa NP from Mitchell or Morven?

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 11:28
ThreadID: 146725 Views:954 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if anyone's gone into the Nogoa River camping area in Salvator Rosa National Park from the southern side - either from Mitchell through Forestvale or from Morven north through Caroline Crossing? (Both routes as potential alternatives to driving out to Tambo then heading east). Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 14:58

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 14:58
I would have said both those routes would be no go, Rocky, but the one from Morven, via Babbiloora & Mt Faraday, has a track heading through the range to the SR section. Think you’d need a 2nd vehicle, no towing & inquire from NP, what the state of this track is.

I’ve been along the Park boundary just to the north of there, and it looks very daunting. Heavily timbered, numerous feeder streams & no doubt some challenging creek crossings?

Maybe 40-50 years ago, my parents drove in from Tambo side in a Datsun 1200 wagon, for a couple of nights. They did get bogged apparently, due to recent rain, but otherwise had no dramas.

Someone might have some more accurate info?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644939

Reply By: Rocky1 - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 15:14

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 15:14
Thank you Bob, much appreciated. Via Tambo sounds like a much safer bet - I've driven past the Salvator Rosa turnoff from the Dawson Developmental Road previously on route from Springsure to Tambo so that might be the best option. Loved your tale of the Datsun 1200 - Nissan's engineers would have been wide-eyed at that car's outback touring abilities if they'd heard your parent's story! (A long time ago I got my Mum's old Corolla coupe from Rainbow Beach to Lake Freshwater and back through the Cooloola National Park - something I wouldn't attempt these days!) Enjoy your Christmas
AnswerID: 644940

Follow Up By: gelatr - Saturday, Dec 23, 2023 at 15:41

Saturday, Dec 23, 2023 at 15:41
When I was a teacher at Tambo during the late 80s my wife and I drove a Gemini into Salvator Rosa. In fact we did it a few times. It’s a beautiful spot. The Tambo/Alpha Rd was notorious for bull dust. This brought the Gemini to a stand still a number of times. The poor old Gemini struggled with the gravel buildup in the middle of the road at times but never let us down. Nowadays I wouldn’t attempt the trip in anything but a fully kitted out 4WD. How times have changed.
FollowupID: 925164

Reply By: zanderslot - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 17:39

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 17:39
2018 we came into Salvator Rosa National Park from the dawson dev rd out of Springsure.
The last 15ks is black dirt so check the weather.
When we left we took the Mount Playfair rd that comes in just south of Tambo.
Nice drive. Apparently it is the old wagon route.
I was towing the camper and there are a couple of rocky climbs but not too bad.
Rod.
AnswerID: 644941

Reply By: Rocky1 - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 19:20

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2023 at 19:20
Thank you Rod!
AnswerID: 644942

Reply By: Member - Roger K (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 22:44

Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 22:44
We spent three nights in Salvator Rosa NP in September 2022. We drove in from Springsure and out via Tambo, towing an off-road caravan. The roads were in excellent condition, but for the reasons mentioned by Zanderslot, I would not even think about it if rain was likely. Both legs of the journey were very scenic and the Park itself quite fascinating, with good, basic amenities at the campground. All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Unfortunately, I have no experience of the other two routes that you are asking about.

Roger.
AnswerID: 644947

Reply By: Brenda G - Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 23:13

Thursday, Dec 21, 2023 at 23:13
Thanks for sharing!
AnswerID: 644948

Sponsored Links