Mapping error - again

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 12:48
ThreadID: 147042 Views:1553 Replies:7 FollowUps:17
Tourists on Cape York bogged and walk out after following Google Maps.
Latest incident: Another error
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 14:14

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 14:14
Bit nasty. Lucky they had some idea , but still very under-prepared.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645344

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 17:28

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 17:28
Hi Jim,

No offence intended, but I disagree that they had any idea. This is not the time of year to go to Cape York.

Regards, Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925627

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:24

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:24
By “some idea” I meant about surviving. Didn’t panic, waited, then prepared for a long walk.

Quite agree about the initial decision.
Came across a Swiss couple in southern Tasmania , who had just completed two weeks of hell walking across the bottom.
Many visitors have almost no idea about the Aussie bush ….. but they could do more research that’s for sure.

They were lucky it ended well.
Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925628

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:31

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:31
Also …… they didn’t seem to have any useful recovery gear.
Should have been able to get unbogged with some decent gear.

I do remember being in some very dodgy situations when we lived in the Canadian wilderness in the 70’s. Very green about Canadian conditions.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925629

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:50

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:50
Short on recovery gear?
And a PLB would have had them rescued quick smart.
It's just reminded me to go on line and check my PLB registration is still current.
Don't go remote without one.

Cheers
FollowupID: 925631

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 17:56

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 17:56
Blaming google maps denies responsibility on the part of the pair of young men who were completely unprepared for the journey they were attempting.

If driving through Sydney & the harbour bridge was down & someone just drove off the bitumen into the water, would it be Google Maps fault because it told them to go that way?

The two young German fellows had clearly done little research about where & when they were going. They were a danger to themselves. Hopefully a lesson learned without tradgedy.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645345

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 07:25

Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 07:25
Why do people not take paper maps anymore as a back up

When I did the Cape in 2009 I had the first Hema GPS, this died after a mate played with it so it was back to maps.

Mind we also had a HF Radio with HF-Tel subscribed and a UHF radio for local contact

These lads were incredibly lucky
FollowupID: 925632

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 08:07

Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 08:07
I expect they would have done the same thing with paper maps Cookie1!

We carry several back up’s to our Hema HX-1 Navigator.

Exploroz Traveller (more an alternative than a back up), on iPad, an older Hema ringbound Atlas covering the entire country, & a set of Hema Desert Maps which have as yet never yet been never needed to be unfolded, + a compass, a small handheld GPS (for walking) , a UHF, a PLB & a sat phone.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 925633

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 08:47

Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 08:47
True with regards if they had paper maps but it does go on to say there are no crossings across the Archer, in fact looking at my map the tracks only go to camp grounds so if they did have a map, they should have seen this and not proceeded.
FollowupID: 925634

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 10:09

Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 10:09
And lets not forget the last backup item. A pack of playing cards.
Dave.
FollowupID: 925636

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 10:50

Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 10:50
And a billy!

FollowupID: 925637

Reply By: Garry L - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:20

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:20
As they say in Germany

"dummkopfs"
AnswerID: 645346

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:44

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 at 19:44
hERE WE JUST SAY "BLOODY IDIOTS"!
FollowupID: 925630

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 08:01

Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 08:01
I am trying to work out how the mapping system, ie, google or pad or paper can tell if the ground underneath will bog the vehicle. If it can, then it is a brilliant system. Maybe they didn't drive to conditions and the MAPPING has nothing to do with it at all. GOTTA BLAME SOMETHING. Google can only tell you there is a road or track to drive on.
I got bogged on a mates property once, and I wasn't even using a map, so , how did that happen?
AnswerID: 645350

Reply By: Member - powerhouse1 - Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 08:47

Thursday, Feb 22, 2024 at 08:47
Also the wrong time of year to be expecting a smooth trip up that way really.
Rockvegaspowers

AnswerID: 645351

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Friday, Feb 23, 2024 at 13:32

Friday, Feb 23, 2024 at 13:32
Couple of years ago I was saying to an Australian who had travelled to innamincka, that google maps doesn’t necessarily give you the shortest/quickest/best way to get somewhere, he got very argumentative!
Google maps is absolutely right he thought!
AnswerID: 645360

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Feb 23, 2024 at 18:46

Friday, Feb 23, 2024 at 18:46
I might be alone here, but I don't throw the brickbats to these two visitors like most of you.
Having travelled independently to some unusual (for Ozies) places, like hundreds of km north of the Arctic Circle and in SW Türkiye, along the border with Syria with minimal or no preparation, or taking a ride through the Libyan desert in a vehicle with a driver I had zero knowledge of, I understand the value of "exploration".
Exploration is a state of mind. Do too much research and you loose a significant part of the exploration.
That is why these young people come to this country. Oz can offer that challenge like few others.
Many of our visitors have short holidays (compared with us) and many have no option when they get them. They have to travel within those constraints. Most would never have been out of mobile network coverage in their lives before or been on a road where no one came along hourly at least.

These guys made a small mistake, but they were not stupid when things went pear shaped.

They ended up having to camp for about a week before walking out to safety.
Mr Schoene said the decision to leave their car was hard.
It was a very bad feeling, very weird, he said. But after 10–20 kilometres, we never thought about it.
He said they walked for about 22 hours, through rain, sleeping on the road at night and using a drone to look for nearby roads.
We had our backpacks with us, like 12 kilos on the back, so all the important stuff we had with us, he said.

Good job guys.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645363

Follow Up By: Member - Roger K (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 21:34

Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 21:34
I stand with Peter on this one. These two young men planned a trip half-way round the world in search of adventure and it seems as if all went according to plan until they were brought undone by some deceptive ground. Fortunately, because they were resourceful (and well resourced) they were able to get back to safety without having to seek help from emergency services (or others), and without any injury to themselves.

It is noteworthy that the Senior Ranger described them as "young, fit, prepared and motivated" - all the attributes you need for an adventure. They obviously focused on the positives rather than the negatives, and were prepared to back themselves when obstacles were encountered. I take my hat off to them.

Interestingly, a quick search of the 'net under "overlanding" suggests that a number of young Europeans are travelling the world these days in search of adventure, and here is but one sample https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9PAaT-3-BM . There are many others. I admire (and envy) them!

Cheers,
Roger

FollowupID: 925652

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 23:21

Sunday, Feb 25, 2024 at 23:21
Anyone who has never made a travel mistake has never travelled. We have made our fair share. :)

We met a young Swiss couple in the NT in 2007. Wonderful people having a wonderful adventure. That was 17 years ago. We have since visited them in Switzerland several times and they have been back here too. Life long friends.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.
FollowupID: 925653

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 06:31

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 06:31
To Pete and Roger, and without wanting to cause offence, I simply ask this question, would you travel to Cape York in the “Wet Season”, or the Canning Stock Route in Summer as a single vehicle with no support.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925654

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:04

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:04
In 2009, we waited on the Atherton Tablelands until the roads were opened and then we drove north. We were a single vehicle with no support.
The Cape is at its best as soon as you can get in after the roads are opened.
The roads were officially OPEN.
So the answer is YES.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 925657

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:24

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 11:24
I feel those guys were idiots.

They wanted to get to the Top.

Anyone that has been there knows the main road north of Coen is very wide and signposted, so why would you take a small sidetrack, let alone in the middle of the wet………
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 925663

Follow Up By: Member - Roger K (NSW) - Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 23:49

Monday, Feb 26, 2024 at 23:49
Macca,
In response to your question I would say "No, I wouldn't" but that is purely my personal preference; it is not the same as saying it can't be done. Conversely, if I was enduring a bitter winter in Germany I might be tempted!

I know we can tut-tut about all the potential risks involved, but in this particular case I am focussing on the happy outcome, and those two adventurers will be able to bore their children (and grand-children) about it for ever and a day.

Roger.
FollowupID: 925675

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 14:46

Wednesday, Feb 28, 2024 at 14:46
I think Peter has a point.

Back in late 2009 my wife & I had an ‘adventure of a lifetime’. With hindsight & experience we wouldn’t do things the same today, but truly we had a ball back then & were lucky to have done so without incident. If it had turned out badly I have little doubt we would have been criticised, if indeed, we had survived.

Mid November on the Birdsville track, ambient temps in the mid 40’s, my wife & I , with no PLB & no satphone, no gps, & no air conditioning in a dual rear wheeled 2wd vehicle, over the course of 10 days saw no other vehicles on a remote track experience unlike anything we had done before.

We rose daily before it was light, travelled at first light , not for far before it became to hot, & we risked overheating the motor & the tyres.

We had tried to do what is suggested by informing the policeman in Birdsville of our travel intentions, but he hadn’t been interested, nor did he suggest we were foolish to do what we planned. We did phone a friend on the east coast to say ’send in Cavlary if we don’t call you again within a fortnight’.

We met up with Peter and Margaret in theFlinders ranges, feeling like seasoned adventurers, having survived a very soft sand detour off the Birdsville Track as well as temparatures like we had never before experienced. So many things could have gone wrong, but they didn’t.

Hindsight suggests (to me) that we were foolish & naive, but it is still one of the best things we have ever done & today tracks like the Birdsville seem nothing more than dirt highways to us. But one on which time of year changes everything.

FollowupID: 925702

Sponsored Links