Northern NSW Camp Options

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 00:03
ThreadID: 147190 Views:1006 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
Hi all, doing a road trip from the NT down to northern NSW in a few months with my partner and 2 year old. I’ve got 3 or 4 nights roughly between Coffs Harbour and Brisbane that I need to find somewhere to camp. Happy to travel further south than Coffs initially but not too far.

Ideally in mountain/forest/scenic type of country that’s quiet and close to nice walks, or next to a river/creek. The days we’re looking at are mid week so might open up a few more options that are normally busy on weekends? We were planning on camping at Bellbird in Washpool NP on the way down so would prefer to try a different area on the way back up. Happy for opinions on Bellbird vs other sites in that area as well in case there’s a better option on the way down. Doesn’t have to be free.

Will be in a Prado towing a camper trailer so not looking for any serious 4WDing, especially with the partner and young one on board.

Cheers
Gary
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 06:59

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 06:59
Hi Gary

Lovely area you are going to.

Gibraltar NP is another sweet spot. Nice camping and walk.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/gibraltar-range-national-park

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645452

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 09:00

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 09:00
Gary,

I haven’t been there for 60 odd years, but Arrawarra used to be a great spot for a few days, or a week or more. Right on the coast, just north of Woolgoolga, with beautiful beach & a creek on southern side of the camp area. Not that far off the highway, so no doubt there may be a bit of traffic noise in the distance.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645453

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 10:15

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 10:15
I've camped at all the sites in Washpool-Gibraltar Range NP (the NP are joined together). Bellbird is a bit tight, your rig will be OK and very shaded, but plenty of rainforest walks. Mulligan's is larger , cold water showers &flushing toilets. My pick is Boundary Falls as it is more spacious, less crowded and more open. It's 20km west of Bellbird. All have swimming holes, you won't be swimming anywhere there though past Easter unless you have a wetsuit, especially someone from the top end!
Have a look at Platypus Flat, inland from Coffs Harbour near Dorrigo. A bit further inland again is Point Lookout (1500metres elevation) in New England NP. West of Grafton there's Dalmorton Campground on the river, bit further on the camp ground in Chealundi NP. All of these meet your criteria. If you want more coastal locations, look at Bunjalung NP which is a long (100km?) narrow NP along the coast from just north of Coffs almost to Ballina. There are numerous beachsidecampgrounds there but no mountains.
Further north check out Rummerycamp ground in Nightshade NP north of Lismore, you'll need Exploroz Topo to find it, not well signposted. Exploroz or Wilicamps will be well worth having.
If it's been wet look out for leeches at some of them they've been quite common this year.
AnswerID: 645454

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 11:45

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 11:45
Further north there is the Border Ranges NP in between Murwillumbah and Kyogle, you stay at Sheepstation Creek campground. I'm not sure if the through road is open from M'bah, last time we went you had to get to the campground via Kyogle. Ticks all your boxes in terms of a nearby creek, mountains, and bushwalks.
Correction to above coastal NPs, north of Coff's there's two NP. Yuraygir NP north of Coff's which runs to Yamba, then Bundjalung north of Yamba, probably almost 150km of coastal NP with numerous behind the dunes campgrounds.
Further correction it's Rummery Park campground in Nightcap NP (not Nightshade).

FollowupID: 925752

Follow Up By: Member - Gary_J - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 14:48

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 14:48
Thanks Mark, I’ve got both Wiki and ExplorOz so no issues there. The first hand knowledge is great, will check out Mulligans vs Bellbird vs Boundary again as I know they’re all very close. Are the campsites at Bellbird tight as in squashed together? That might turn us off as hate being crammed in like sardines!
FollowupID: 925754

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 16:51

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 16:51
Gary the Bellbird campsites are reasonably well spaced, you are not packed in like sardines, it's more the difficult reversing required in the thickly vegetated area with induvial camp sites cut out of the bush relatively small. It's close to what I think is the best walk in the two parks being the Camboodjha loop (ca 6-8km?) which wanders along the creek in warm temperate rainforest before climbing to wet schlerophyll then dry sclerophyll forest then looping back.
NSW NP web site is shocking for details of the walks.
We were last there in January, we tend to stay at one camp site then drive to the start of the various short walks through the park. From memory it's about 25km from Bellbird in the east to Boundary Falls in the west. There were leeches at all three campgrounds in January as conditions were wet/damp, also been there when it's dry and found none.
FollowupID: 925756

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 17:08

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 17:08
Bellbird is down in a little valley , while Mulligans is up on top . If you like open spaces like I do , Mulligans is the pick.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 925758

Follow Up By: Member - Gary_J - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 22:25

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 22:25
Well it looks like Bellbird is “booked” or possibly closed for maintenance almost the whole month of May. So we’ll be staying at Mulligans or Boundary on the way down instead.
FollowupID: 925766

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 19:38

Sunday, Mar 10, 2024 at 19:38
Good info from everyone I'm looking at these areas now instead of the QLD side of the border for a trip in May. Thanks very much.
AnswerID: 645461

Reply By: axle - Monday, Mar 11, 2024 at 16:15

Monday, Mar 11, 2024 at 16:15
Hi Gary

Broomes Head is a top spot, miles ofcoastline and numerous camp spots

Its In Between Yamba and Maclean

Cheers Axle
AnswerID: 645465

Reply By: TumbyTourers - Saturday, Mar 23, 2024 at 09:25

Saturday, Mar 23, 2024 at 09:25
Second vote for Sheep Station Creek - my 4 and 8 yo loved it, quiet, great walks, waterfall within 5minutes of the campsite, and the sites are well maintained. Cutters camp is also a good spot nearby.

As an alternative to mountains and forests appeals can't recommend Pebbly Beach highly enough for a ocean creek and beach front stop.
AnswerID: 645532

Sponsored Links