This Thread has been Archived
Best Value Astronomy at Chillagoe $5.50
Best Tour The QANTAS 747 at Longreach $10
Worst Service Ford service manager at Atherton
Best Hamburger Archer Road House
Best Location Loyalty Beach
Worst Accommodation Stonehenge
Best Value Accommodation Cabin 1 at Hughenden Caravan Park
Most expensive fuel Wilcannia $1.22.9 (Didn’t buy fuel at Archer or Bramwell)
Worst Moments Those idiots in Lancruisers with fuel and water etc on the roof heading sideways towards you.
Strange But True The “old Couple” we met on the track north of Cockatoo Creek and were heading north who thought they were south of Gunshot.
Friendliest Service Archer Road House
Best Coffee Archer Road House
Worst Coffee White Cliffs
Best Track Bloomfield
Heart Warming The young bloke and his mate taking the Grandparents, who were both over 80, along the OTL
Enjoy the trip
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 23:02

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 23:02
Nice summary of your trip.

We were in the Cape this time last year - photos at "The Tip" on 18th July 2003. I loved the hamburgers at Musgrave.

Was there much water around this year?

Andrew
AnswerID: 68354

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:37

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:37
Hi Kidz, There was more water than last year. There were light showers most days which helped keep the dust down.
You could get there in some one elses 2WD fitted with the correct tyres.
One of the best aspects was the number of young families doing the trip
Regards,
Trev
FollowupID: 328964

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 20:52

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 20:52
Trevor,

We did the Cape in 99 and I would agree with what you have said where I can align your trip to ours. We did not see the stars at Chillagoe but at Charleville it cost us $25 for the whole family and it was a great show if somewhat cold.

Didn't do the QANTAS tour at Longreach but thought the whole town was great. The Pastoral College was very interesting. Bloomiefield Track was great especially as the National Parks Office in Cairns told us that there was no way anyone was getting through. One or two creek crossings were a little bit deep but thanks to National Parks we had the track to ourselves. Best butcher shop was Endeavour Butcher in Cooktown.

Archer River Roadhouse was very nice, we had the first coffee ever sold from their new machine and it was gooooood.

Now as for the worst experience of the trip here we agree again pretty much anyway. 10 flat tyres in 8 weeks including two at Archer River did not really contribute to the enjoyment of the trip. The cost and general attitude of people in Cairns, won't go there again, I'll save all my money for the very nice people further north. Finally Atherton, the mechanical repairs that took 4 days, emptied my wallet and did not fix the problem. No it was not that big a problem it was finally fixed in Dubbo for $50 and took about 90 min.

Go to the Cape again? Oooh yeah. Atherton? Oooh no!

Duncs.
AnswerID: 68507

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:43

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:43
I would like to go again. We will be out west again next June or July. People up/out there are nice and friendly. Had one reapair in Cooktown picked up a piece of wire between there and Cobbald Gorge. I run BF A/Ts. Trev
FollowupID: 329126

Follow Up By: duncs - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:38
Yeah Trev I on that run I useda set of tyres from a well known US Co. who I won't name for fear of upsetting too many people. Now I run BFG A/T's
FollowupID: 329200

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:12

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:12
Hey Trev - great report. I can appreciate the story about the couple lost at Cockatoo Vs Gunshot - last time I was up there in 2002 two brand spanking new LC 100s came through to the campsite at Nolans and travelling north - asked us how much further to Gunshot. Believe it or not one of these guys was a professor of geography from one of our more learned institutions.

By the way - can you update us on the creek crossings. Only 4 more sleeps to D day on 24 Jul.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 68661

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 21:22

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 21:22
Hello Pete, Lucky! I would like to head off again, to anywhere at present. Buy yourself a Hema map of Cape York, about $8.25. It will be a real help. We went up through the Bloomfield Track which had a few rocky crossing but not all that deep then Lakefield National Park. The first River crossing there was a bit interesting, Normanby, but the base was sandy and OK. A couple of other creeks across the road needed you to slow down as they we short and deepish at 60 kmp. The crossings north of Musgrave should be dry by now but you should swing to the outside of them as the trucks have dug things up a bit. 20k north of Musgrave to 30 south of Coen the corrugations are bloody terrible. South of Coen they are working on the road. North of Coen it’s like an expressway to the quarantine station. From there to Weipa is pretty good. You could give Coen a miss but the Archer River Roadhouse is a must. Weipa was pretty sterile and a mining town. From Weipa across to Batavia Downs has three crossings. The first one had a steep slippery entry but was no trouble. The second one was dull and the last one just before Batavia makes you realise what a 4WD will do if driven slowly on the exit. It’s chopped up but OK. Bramwell Station is a must stop. The meal is $15, beer $4 a can and wine $5 per glass. The company is good. Say hello to Wendy for me. I need her to send her email address to me. They have some interesting developments in the pipeline. The OTL starts 4 km past Bramwell at Pakm Creek. It’s worth the trouble to drive out and have a look before bedding down for the night. The creek entry is rough and the exit has tyre grooves so to will need a reasonable clearance. Most people were not even bothering with Gunshot Creek. Cockatoo Creek has a rough entry and a pretty good exit. Heading north you need to swing left in the creek to miss the deeper potholes in the rocks. The creek crossing beyond Cockatoo do not exist. There is a reasonable ford on the way out to Elliot Falls but you will not need a blind. The crossing beyond the falls is rocky and low gear stuff with not much water. The corrugations on the northern section of the Norther Bypass are shocking but there is not much you do about it. The sign to Bamaga at the Injinoo turn off has been vandalised to do not turn to the left on the good road but go straight ahead up the goat track to the tar from the airport. Hope this helps and have a good and safe trip Trev

FollowupID: 329376

Sponsored Links