Wilpena Pound Camping Sites

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 21:27
ThreadID: 14777 Views:4521 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Guys

14 more sleeps to go and my wife (Carol) and I are off to the Kimberley.

On the way though we are going to have a look at the Flinders and Wilpena Pound.

Could anybody help us with nice camp spots between the Pound and Brachina Gorge. Non-commercial preferred and suitable for a tent.

All contributions greatly apreciated. GPS co-ordinates even better and will earn the contributor an extra browny point or two (and a beer if and when we come across each other)

Cheers and thanks

PT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:10

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:10
Hi Paul,
I'd suggest that you go on to Parachilna Gorge which is north of Brachina by a few K's and has many more sites for camping. Parachilna is a much longer gorge between Blinman & Parachilna. It is picturesque and has a creek running through it. You can do it after travelling through Brachina Gorge. ( Great geological stuff, well labelled in Brachina)
Our choice is to take the Leigh Creek Rd after Hawker then do the Morolana Track to the Hawker/ Blinman Rd. Then into the pound . Out again to the Hawker/Blinman rd through the Brachina Gorge to the Leigh Creek Rd again then north into Parachilna Gorge to camp. Bit of a wander but you get to see some real Flinders Scenery. Get a map & check it out- you can do it in any order or any way which takes your fancy.

Speaking of camping- the idea is to avoid camping in creek beds due to the possibility of flash floods.
It is generally frowned on to camp on the roadside until you get into the gorges. Weather at this time of year is cold at night warm in the days which are often sunny.
Supplies at Hawker, the Pound, Blinman and Leigh Creek.
Parachilna Pub has innovative outback tucker based on roo & emu and interesting architecture.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

Camper
AnswerID: 68343

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:33

Sunday, Jul 18, 2004 at 22:33
Great advice by camper there Paul, another slightly commercial bush camp is Willow Springs stn, about 20ks past Wilpena, at about $10 a night and shower available near homestead on the way if you wish. While there take a whole day and do the skytrek drive as the veiws are great. It will be closed if it is raining. Dont forget a coffee stop as you go past if you wish, contacts behind rig pic.
FollowupID: 328938

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 00:05

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 00:05
Hi Paul, I endorse the earlier comments, Moralana scenic drive through Arkaba Station is a pleasent drive, "Skytrek" is a must do and if you do stay at Willow Springs Station slip back out to "Stokes Hill Lookout " for the sunset or sunrise.

Cheers & Safe Travelling
AnswerID: 68357

Reply By: phil - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:15

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:15
I would strongly recommend Aroona Valley. National Park campsites well laid out and spectacular scenery. In June last year we had it to ourselves for 2 nights.
Phil I
AnswerID: 68420

Sponsored Links