Long life milk

Submitted: Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 07:55
ThreadID: 14787 Views:2366 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All ,
Does anybody have any preferences in this area . I need to buy enough for 26 breakfasts for two people , and there are no shops out there to buy new stuff if I make the wrong decision first up .
Previously I found that the low fat ones tasted less like they had been boiled than the normal long life .
I am interested in taste and strength of cartons . If anyone has any info I would be grateful as I leave Sydney for Meekatharra next Sunday .
Thanks ,
Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:22

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:22
Don't go much on cartons at all, so we use Diploma powdered milk, just empty it into a plastic container for storage.

Mix up enough for a couple of days it keeps well in the fridge. A large box will last the trip.
AnswerID: 68371

Reply By: jules15 - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:25

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:25
G'day - there is a brand in a screw top plastic bottle - pink for low fat - blue for full cream - not bad - and the screw top plastic combination is pretty sturdy we have found- and the taste is pretty good I have found. - I found it at Woolworths/Safeway and also Big W here in Vic at any rate. In a carton the Kieran Perkins Lite Start is ok as well taste wise.
AnswerID: 68372

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:28

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:28
Jules & Willie, it is "Dairy Farmers" Brand have only ever used (Skim) this on trips up to 16 days, not what I would use at home but its OK for cereals.
It is a very tough plastic container & being sguare packs well, have also carried it laying down,

Cheers
FollowupID: 329108

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:13

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:13
We use skim milk powder as it is simple to carry and store, buy a couple of large screw top shakers and use them to make and store milk in fridge. Best consumed cold for best flavour, and the bonus is its about 60c a litre.
AnswerID: 68384

Reply By: The Banjo - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:12

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:12
We have always used the longlife rectangular cardboard skimmer versions (1% fat). Being squared they stack easy. The plastic bottles with screw lids are attractive for dispensing though. BUT we are going to trial a bit of powdered at home for a few weeks......might go that way for the future when bush....we carry plenty of rainwater....making milk up from a compact powdered storage is one great idea if the taste is ok. Some things should not be compromised just because we are bush on a trip - good milk might be one of them :-)....don't start me on the others.
AnswerID: 68417

Reply By: TheWommy - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 14:56

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 14:56
We have tried all the UHT milk brands available. The Coles Farmland LiteMilk is well above the others in taste. When it is cold from the fridge you would be hard pressed to tell it is not fresh. The Farmland LiteMilk is around $1.14 litre and the other brands like Rev and Devondale are around $1.69. Price was no consideration in buying, taste was the all important factor.
AnswerID: 68439

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 17:56

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 17:56
THANKS EVERYBODY .

I will nip down to Coles and Woolies tomorrow to try out the ones you suggested .

I rather like the sound of the ones in the plastic bottles as last time we did Central Aust , all our cartons were in our trailer and they all broke open . This trip the gear will all be in the bruiser, so it will not be so critical , but I would still like to err on the side of caution .

I have compared powdered milk and don't think it's as nice as long life skim .

Willie
FollowupID: 329059

Reply By: Ali L - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:29

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 18:29
Try Farmland (Coles Brand) $1.15 per litre in Perth. They have full cream, lite and skim in rectangular cardboard. The pourer is pretty good and the milk tastes OK. Even my fussy husband likes the "lite". Downside is that the cartons will rub or wear if you are constantly o rough roads.

Also there is a plastic "square" bottle - Farmers something brand. The milk taste fine they are durable and with a screw top lid don't spill. The down side is that they don't crush down when the bottle is empty.

Happy travelling
AnswerID: 68472

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:17

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 19:17
Devondale full cream milk. Full cream milk is only about 3 or 4% fat so the low fat ones are not much different. I find this is full taste and has the quality closing lid. But I buy hundreds of litres of cheaper stuff and don't mind it..... I use it in the show. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 68480

Sponsored Links