Welcome to wonderful Victoria!!!!

Submitted: Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:38
ThreadID: 14818 Views:2177 Replies:22 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Come to Victoria.... It is a beautiful place to vist. Great scenery, friendly people, lots of fantastic places to visit.

Oh, and make sure you cough up $128 to help keep the government afloat.

I enjoyed a fantastic day out last weekend travelling from Adelaide to the Grampians and met up with some great people from the forum for lunch.

I just cleared the mailbox tonight and there it was. 109 km/h on a 100km/h road. $128 thanks.

In South Australia the rural roads are mainly 110km/h which is just a good cruising speed in a modern vehicle. In safety obsessed Victoria it is 100km/h and God help you if you go over. Do I bumble along in 5th and bugger up the engine or do I leave it in 4th and use more fuel at higher revs.

I am not looking to reopen the whole road safety debate here but I personally consider this "offense" to be so marginal it is beyond a joke. Since buying a larger 4WD vehicle I have become an even more conservative driver than before when I had a small sedan. It is precisely because I have seen the situation from the inside of a smaller car that I leave extra distance in front, double check when changing lanes and most of all try really hard to stick to the speed limits.

Some may agree with me, some may not, some may even post a completely different view. I am just really peeved at being penalised by society for something I do not consider justified when there are bigger fish to fry in the crime stakes.

I have heard all the complaints about the harsh policing of limits in Victoria and now can sympathise. I was in Victoria for 5 hours before falling foul.

To the people I visited I truly thank you for your hospitality. To the Government, I'll probaly spend my dollars elsewhere next time.

Had my rant for today.

Not happy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rossco100series - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:47

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:47
Muddy what do u think about your Prado and are you looking at a suspension kit ? I'm sort of trying to decide on either a TD5 landrover or 3lt TD Patrol or a TD Prado but I'm sort of a bit concernd about the IFS in them. The IFS I'm concerd about the strength and load caring.

Rossco
AnswerID: 68523

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:52

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:52
Hi Rossco,

Have not had any issues with the IFS yet but have not seriously challenged it either. Am yet to do any rock hopping or work that really requires the articulation. There was a post earlier today from a 100 series owner with IFS who had no problems on a moderately challenging track that stopped a couple of other vehicles including an older Prado.

Steven
FollowupID: 329098

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:52

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:52
Is a bugger of a thing these speed cameras. Drove past one today in a suburban street and was passed it really but I was only doing 50kph so should be right. I agree that the speed should be policed but I am sure that there is quite a lot of revenue raising that goes along with it. And despite all the money they make from fines, they still cannot afford to build the Scoresby Free (haha) way without tolls.

Was nice knowing you anyhow!! LOL. Off to NT next - can put the foot down up there!

Andrew
AnswerID: 68525

Reply By: mr diamond - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:56

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 21:56
sorry muddy but no offence.
you do the crime you pay the fine....
nothing against you personally but ive had enough of people who break the law then whinge about it.
but im glad you did enjoy the rest of your time here.
and come back again(just slower)lol.
AnswerID: 68526

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:23

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:23
Thanks mr d.

Of course I will pay up... is there any other choice!!!! LOL

It is just so annoying to receive a fine when I was (mostly) trying to make the effort to comply. Where the hell is Gerang Gerang???????

There are lots of bits of Vic that I have not seen yet so I'm sure I'll be back eventually!

Steven
FollowupID: 329107

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:04

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:04
Ouch!...that hurts. Now if you had driven to the Grampians via Pinnaroo, Ouyen, and the Calder Hwy...it is 110kmh all the way. Unfortunately that takes you in the wrong direction. Yes I agree, 100kmh is a real pain especially if you don't have a cruise control. We make regular trips to Victoria and it is mindblowingly boring sitting on that speed when one has to commute. So we have lots of stops and lok arounds to break the monotony. I advocate 140kmh for all of Australia. There will probably be less accidents as everyone will be alert at that speed.........
AnswerID: 68530

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:18

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:18
Totally agree with the boredom factor Willem. I think you naturally concentrate more as the percieved danger increases. The hard part is sustaining it for the lengths of time that it takes to get from A to B in Australia.

Rest stops are the go. Higher cruising speeds should be allowed so that people drive to the conditions and maintain their alertness. Then have a rest break at good roadside facilities. I think people fall asleep because they are bored by having to comply with low speed limits.

Road safety is such a difficult issue but I truly believe that stiff penalties for such marginal infringments is not the answer. 25, 30, 40 km/h over the limit you deserve everything you get and probaly more, but a variance of 10% is just keeping alive the old chestnut about revenue raising.

Thanks for your comments Willem
FollowupID: 329106

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:10

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:10
Bugger, that would put a damper on things, although $128, cheaper than NSW if thats any consilation.

Baz.
AnswerID: 68532

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:39

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:39
Baz, NSW may as well be on another planet for pricing. I went to Darling Harbour in March and bought 3 hamburgers, a 600ml coke and 2 flat white coffees in paper cups. $38!!!! and the burgers were nothing to write home about either. Still, it is quite pleasant sitting there at Cockle Bay. If it were cheaper then people might do it more often.

One can only imagine the size of Mr Carr's traffic fines.

FollowupID: 329111

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:13

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:13
Dear Muddy, thank you for your contribution. Your criminal intent is noted and the fine will be spent unwisely. Bracksie.

Sorry you had to fall foul of the camera car here mate. I have written the above because he won't and he just wants you to feel criminal intent in your speeding. There has been much misleading said about speeding and accident causes. It is a fact that we Victorians need to develop that other sense to watch for them.

Don't ever believe Baz if he was to ever say what speed I drive, he would surely be exagerating.......... He did that night when we got home.
AnswerID: 68533

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:32

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:32
Thanks John,

I can still say I had a great time! I may venture over the border to have my UHF installed soon so Ill have to be vigilant then. Is it a legal defense against neg driving to say that you were too busy watching the speedo?????

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 329109

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:52

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:52
Muddy,

Don't think it works that way. I tend to look at the day, if it's a nice day for a drive, others will be too. They may just be sitting in the sun of course in tinted up windows. Cruise control is better than fines even though as Willem so rightly observes you go to sleep.

I remember a staid neighbour who would never go to sleep when she drove to Melbourne to the show years back. Early in the day she averaged 75 mph of course then........... Adrenelin is a great drug, use it wisely and keep awake. Sorry, it is naturally available or naturally unavailable.
FollowupID: 329114

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 19:09

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 19:09
Lucky there werent any cameras between the Grampians and Terang else Braksie would be HAPPIER eh Baz?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 329352

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:55

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 22:55
Hi Muddy, Welcome to the Road Revenue State, it hurts more when you get pinged for 5K over, how come you where not on cruise control ?
The UHF is good to check whats out there also but no gaurantee's.

Cheers
AnswerID: 68536

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 23:43

Monday, Jul 19, 2004 at 23:43
Dont forget to ask for a free picture to make sure its your car. Dont you feel good inside getting a ticket to the policemans revenue ball.
AnswerID: 68542

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 01:46

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 01:46
The picture ain't free, I think they will ask $7- for the mug shot.
Ba$tards.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 329120

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:54

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:54
We got fined twice driving through Melbourne for not paying the toll. We didnt see any signs saying we had to!!!!! But on writing they very nicely withdrew the fines.

In the northern territory in the middle of no where we were booked for about 9K over the limit ........ apparently there was an indigenous camp somewhere (not visible) and it was a lower zoned area. He was the tallest policeman I have ever seen so we just said "yes sir". LOL.

Carolyn
AnswerID: 68560

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:54

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:54
Muddy 'doe
Have to agree with the 10%. What do they think we are "robots". If you travel at or near the speed limit, at some stage there is a good chance you will go over the limit.
I guess we are a soft target. To hard to chatch those who are the REAL criminals.
Maybe thats the real rub, the fine makes you feal like a criminal.

Off my box soap now.

Have a good day
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 68561

Reply By: Phillis - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:28

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:28
Thank you for contributing to the Victorian State Revenue
We would have preferred you did not break the law and obeyed the speed limit. Then you would not have got fined.
We do not need speeding potential accidents in this state and glad you got caught
At 109 kilometres means you were doing 115 kilometres per hour on your speedo
You did the crime so pay the fine and stop whining
Speed kills
AnswerID: 68569

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:25

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:25
And you have never once broken the speed limit?
FollowupID: 329297

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:48

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:48
HE HE HE, the western hwy camera at it again... There is always at least one mobile camera and two radar cars doing duty on our side of the border... I used to hate doing the regular drive over there for work...i agree with the pettyness of the offence , but the western hwy is heavily policed for a reason, it has a horrendous death toll along that middle stretch, with regular car vs b double accidents etc.. It is one road i would rather give a miss to....... Of course the physical state of the road has nothing to do with it ( damn im cynical)

Mate don't come near Melb, cameras on fwy's about 130 cameras at intersections, 30 odd mobile camera units, unmarked cars / half marked cars etc etc..

BTW the 'best' place to get pinged - Tassie, got done down there last year on work in the hire car, $80 thanks, i actually smiled when i read that.......
AnswerID: 68584

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:22
Hey Muddy,

The way youn are going you will where that truck out. You would have loved the mus and clay up Mt Darte way last week! had a couple of moments there myself. Sorry but I had to have a chucle about you getting stuck the other week because I could visualise you lining up that mud hole and going for it. Keep looking on the LCOOL site because it won't be long before some of the mus shots come up.

Anyway don't forget that with those tyres your speedo will be about 5 Kph out so when in Vic drive at 95KPH and you should avoid the fine.
AnswerID: 68592

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:07

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:07
Well you were speeding and got caught for speeding..... Open and shut case.....
Not Victorias fault, not the cars fault........

The numbers on your speedo have to co-inside with the street signs.... It is like a task for a 3yr old.... How easy can it be made for us..??

If we dont like something we shouldnt do it....

Common sense and brains are two totally different things....
AnswerID: 68611

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:08

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:08
And that isnt a personal attack on you... I have just got a thing for people who get caught doing the wrong thing and then complain about it..

Like "things"...... We all have our things which peeve us off....

Sorry if it came across a bit vicious...
FollowupID: 329195

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:47

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:47
No need to apologise Voxson. I said in my original post that there may be a number of people with a number of points of view on this topic.

If I have the freedom to have a rant and a winge about something then you should feel quite free to let me know how you feel if you choose. That is what we are here on the forum for and if we have a good time and learn something along the way then all the better.

BTW I am feeling a bit more calm today. Still annoyed but calmer!

Cheers
Steven
FollowupID: 329203

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:01

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:01
Do you have cruise control?

Bit spoilt here, no open road speed limit!

Wizard
Darwin NT
AnswerID: 68624

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:47

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:47
Think I need a wide screen monitor for this one.
AnswerID: 68630

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 13:52

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 13:52
You don't anymore, we have removed the problem post.
Please don't post long lines with no spaces in it as this is what causes the problem.
FollowupID: 329164

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 13:55

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 13:55
So much better. Thank you :)
FollowupID: 329165

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:42

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:42
Thanks Juliana,

It is Truckster and his loooooooooooooooong numbers! He likes to visually illustrate his point of view at times.

Cheers
Muddy
FollowupID: 329201

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 18:01

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 18:01
Not just that one Muddy, there was another post telling you in no uncertain terms you were wrong in Victorian law. Some seem to believe the fund raisers in saying that speed kills. Of course they forget that there is a high percentage of people that die in accidents that have drugs in their systems and nothing to do with the speed they are driving. Drugs actually kill more than speed but the revenue raising is a lot more difficult, even though the press have been informed the police are on the lookout, so have we. All misinformation.

In Victoria there is a tolerance for the speed cameras that seems is beyond what we are allowed in our cars so we may be booked within the limit anyway.

I frequently use the GPS as a speed check aginst the speedo so I understand my tolerances on the speedo. The indicators along the highway are frequently wrong, being up and down. All these things make a less than desirable state for living..... Most of the cars I have trouble overtaking are doing 80-85 on the GPS and have absolutely no idea of the annoyance they cause or are attempting to achieve it. I bet they think they have a bullbar in their mirror too.

In Victoria revenue raising is an art form.

FollowupID: 329207

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 18:17

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 18:17
Hmmm. Didn't see that post John.

There are a few replies that say I did the wrong thing and should just cop it sweet, pay the fine, and don't do it again. My point (and there are also more than a few that agree with me here) is the fine line between driving safely and being made to feel a criminal is just too fine.

I checked my speedo with my GPS as well because I wanted to ensure it's accuracy and it reads within 2km/h as far as I can tell (though this is a tough call when it has 10km/h increments - yet another "issue" that I have).

I am not one to let issues like this control my life and get all stressed about it but we need to have these discussions in forums like this one so that the best laws and rules for everyone are one day reached. Otherwise we will all be driving electric toy cars like civics and priuses at 40km/h.

Steven
FollowupID: 329211

Reply By: Disco_Inferno - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:46

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:46
great they caught you and shame the fine is so low
fines for speeding more than 5k over the speed limit should be $500
we love our people and our kids in Victoria and do not want them killed by hoons speeding
if you cannot control the speed of your vehicle and keep to the laws of the state maybe you should lose your licence
all speeders should automatically lose the licence for 7 days
AnswerID: 68686

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:33

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:33
YOU DONT SPEAK FOR ME are you 1 of the dills i have to put up with most days travelling at 85 ks on the freeway

FollowupID: 329224

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:35

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:35
ps muddy you have my sympathy although as they said do the "crime " you have to pay the bill
steve
FollowupID: 329225

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:23

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:23
Ignore it gob, the wank is probably one of those pricks thats out there speeding as you read this...Would cry if he got done....
FollowupID: 329296

Reply By: andysgu - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:55

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 17:55
The latest statistic say the road toll is up in Victoria so its not working to save lives just incrreaseing revenue to buy more cameras .
Also on the down side is the respect of people towards the police force !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andy
AnswerID: 68689

Reply By: Barry B - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:11

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:11
I know how you feel, I got done twice in two weeks in Adelaide. Had I known about the first one I wouldn't have been done the second time.

But like was said earlier, do the crime, pay the fine.

"Considering this "offense" to be so marginal" ???? The limit is 100, if you go over that you are breaking the speed limit.

By the way, I've seen South Australians at traffic lights..... green is go, orange is go faster, red is prepare to stop in case the car in front of you does.

I love living in the NT, haven't seen a speed camera or red light camera in years. Come to think of it, haven't seen a traffic light in a while! ;-)
AnswerID: 68755

Reply By: rolande- Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 22:55

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 22:55
Muddy,
What is the speedo error on the playdoe? Would have thought around 5 - 8 km/h like most vehicles. Ticket for 109 means at least 115km/h. Don't necesarily agree with our cash cameras but from experience if the speedo stays below 110km/h you are usually O.K. Others may have a different view of course. Spent 5 weeks driving aorund Europe last year, best speed on highways for traffic flow, 120km/h. Faster and slower both had more traffic jams and accidents. Not much hope of that on the Hume or the Western though. Welcome to the club.
Rolande
AnswerID: 68938

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 23:50

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 23:50
HEY EVERYONE !

Haven't yoos heard that the Transport Authorities are going to implement a NEW law ?

"All vehicles must be preceded by a person walking 3 metres in front of said vehicle and display a red flag".

That'll slow us down

OooRoo !
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 68942

Reply By: Torskin - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 22:24

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 22:24
Lot's of people and media were extremely upset when the police aka government decided to change the speed excess percentage from 10% of posted limit to 3% of posted limit. Despite RACV and other tests that showed that cars, and yes even new ones could have a speedo that was out by 10% above posted limits they (governmnet) decided to change down. Most ppl know it's money raising for their coffers and i agree. If you go and have a look at this pdfyou will see how screwed our speed cameras are.

Also the Herald Sun had an article afew weeks ago about our beloved mobile camera's and how quite a few of the happen to have not been recalabrated/tested every 12 months and some that hadn't been done for over 18+ months.

The percentage drop written above is a joke, but going over the speed limit is something that can be avoided if you glace at you gauges every 30 secs or so.

But it does suck to get a fine!!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 69801

Sponsored Links