RTA Incompetence in NSW

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:19
ThreadID: 14847 Views:2072 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Nothing to do with 4x4 but tried to take the kids to the local snow around Sydney last weekend and discovered the following.
Around 10.00am radio advertised Western Hwy thru mountains and the Bells Line Of Road were closed - We were on the latter and sudenly at Kurrajong came across large sign advisinr road was closed because of ice and snow. (At 11.00am!!!) - A bit bloody late on the road anyway.
Stopped, along with other motorists, and asked local service staion prop - he indicated no one had returned all morning so he suspected someone forgot to take down or turn off the sign - We pressed on and there was no problems - Passed a few police cars coming the other way, they may have just opened the road, I will give them benefit of doubt.
Later in the day went down to the caves at ? (mental block) long winding road down and as I got to the actual caves there was a huge string of vehicles coming up - like George St in peak hour. Intended to go up the mountain the other side and look for snow up there on way to Oberon and Kanagra Walls, usually a good place for the kids - road closed $#@%%$#@@
Turned around to retrace my steps and there is a huge electronic sign on the original road down - Road closed between 11.45am and 1.45pm daily - I worked out we had arrived down around 12.00 so the traffic we met had been stuck down there for at least two hours and had all been leaving at 11.45am.
No warnings before decending to caves. No consideration to allow 4wd to use the other exit.
I am not going near the caves again - might get stuck down there for a couple of days next time and been forced to pay the exhorbitant prices they charge at the shops and for accomodation.
The RTA in NSW really does have alot to answer for.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:31

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:31
Jenolan Caves you mean...

LMAO RTA= Public Service= joke.
AnswerID: 68668

Reply By: VWR - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:41

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 16:41
Yes - I am getting old - could not think of it
AnswerID: 68671

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:03

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:03
We went up about 7am sunday, GWH and Bells was open according to RTA website.
Radio advised Bells was closed but GWH open.
We met friends at Mt vic that had come up through the back way as the GWH was closed.
When we got to Kurrajong (quite a few k's past alternative route) there was one of those mobile signs saying closed, continued on and their was a snow sign at the bottom of Mt Tomah, got to Bell itself and the road to Lithgow was closed with an RTA truck across the intersection. The last bit to Bell was very wet and snowy but no probs. We went across the Darling causeway to Mt victoria, then up the Jenolan rd, turned off at Hampden to Oberon and then out to shooters hill, lots of snow and roads very slippery, there was a road closed sign out near the dam but it was on the side not on the road and there was 2wd traffic coming and going but out along the road it was slippery but no probs with care.
AnswerID: 68698

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:50

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2004 at 19:50
Gets confusing when you get on the road after they close it - we camped overnight on the Wanaaring to Tibooburra Road a couple of months back for just that reason.

However, on dodgy days, a quick squiz at the RTA web site could give a clue to trouble. Its at http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficreports/index.html

I thought the alternating traffic flows on the Jenolan Road was pretty clearly signposted - maybe the sign at the top was covered in a snow drift???

For what its worth.
Max
AnswerID: 68707

Sponsored Links