Menindee road conditions?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:24
ThreadID: 14865 Views:3212 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip with a friend to Kinchega National Park in August. Last time we went, the road from Pooncarie to Menindee was very rough. We can put up with the corrugations in our Jackaroo, but our friend has a brand new Subaru Forester, and she won't thank us if it is really rough. Of course, we can go via Broken Hill, but it's a lot further. Anyone have any recent information on the condition for the Wentworth to Pooncarie to Menindee road, or any suggestions for other ways to go?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Foxer - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:44

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:44
Jan
we went thru first week July and the road was good. Most of it fine, just the odd rough patch. Might be a bit different if they get a heap of rain and after school hol traffick, so may pay to check just before you leave. Give the Pooncarie pub or police a ring.
Foxer
AnswerID: 68797

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 16:09

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 16:09
Jan, when we through 2 couples had just come the other way and warned us the road was shocking. "remove all fillings" was there advice. We traversed it comfotably and were left wondering what all the fuss was about.

Of course, we had reduced tyre pressures and they hadn't. The Forester should be quite comfortable if they drop pressures to 22 to 26 psi.
AnswerID: 68828

Reply By: Longy - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 16:59

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 16:59
Hey,
Road to Kinchenga National Park is fine. Main thing to worry about is the corrigations, but I found driving them early July that they were fine and just like a highway almost. Some spots are a bit rough but other than that you should be fine. Drop tyre pressures a little and slow down when it looks like a bit of a dip, other than that enjoy the trip. Kinchenga is a great place to visit and camping along the Darling sure made a good start to the 3 week trip I just returned from.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 68838

Reply By: Garbutt - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 18:24

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2004 at 18:24
Came through that way recently in the Falcon, badly corrugated in parts but no real troubles.
AnswerID: 68848

Reply By: Member - W.Wallace - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 18:35

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 18:35
I also drove on that road (Pooncarie to Menindee) a few months ago in a lowered statesman, bit rough in spots, mind you thats on low profile tyres & I don't drive slow.
Put it this way if the Forester can't handle that road, it's got problems.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 69074

Sponsored Links