Submitted: Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:23
ThreadID: 14900 Views:2001 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/22/1090089249954.htm
Tourists shot at as they take shelter in van
July 22, 2004 - 8:41AM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Two men have been charged with shooting at two international tourists sheltering in a van in Cairns.

Police said about 2am (AEST) on Monday the tourists, camping in a van on Lake Morris Road, were woken when another vehicle stopped nearby.

When one of the tourists opened the van's door he was confronted by two men who demanded he get out of the vehicle.

As the tourist retreated back into the van for safety and closed the door the men allegedly opened fire on the door.

While the tourist tried to start the van the two offenders got back in their vehicle and drove off - allegedly shooting out the front tyre of the van as they left.

No one was injured during the attack.

Two teenagers, aged 16 and 19, were charged with two counts of intent to cause grievous bodily harm and wilful damage.

The pair are expected to appear before the Cairns Magistrates Court today.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davo - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:05

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:05
Holy cr@p! NOT the sort of publicity we want to espouse to our international (or local) visitors. It makes you wonder what provoked this attack - was it a random act, or was there a preceding incident? Regardless, this is unbelievable behaviour, and really makes you think twice about setting up a roadside camp "in the middle of nowhere".

I did a motorcycle trip half-way round Austraila in 1991(Darwin, Adelaide, Sydney Cairns and back to Darwin), and it's not common knowledge, but a few motorcyclists have gone missing along the stretch between Charter's towers and Mt Isa.
Travelling around this area alone on the motorcycle (XR600) with this knowledge really spooked me (I was 21 at the time) - I didn't stop for ANYONE who was stopped along the Barkley hwy; normally you would, of course, but not along this stretch. I was pre-warned by Qld "locals" about this stretch when I was refuelling once. It's a sad day indeed when you think twice about using a roadside stop to catch some shut-eye, because of incidents like this.

That's my soap-box for today ;-)

Cheers,
Davo
AnswerID: 68992

Reply By: Bros - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:09

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:09
Truckster,
Unfortunately the low-lifes are everywhere. The only problem is that the ordinary person, when confronted with a situation such as this, doesn't know what to do. After all you are just there for a holiday and most people don't include defence techniques in their holiday planning in this country. The penalties for law breakers are just not strong enough to be a deterrent. I'll get off my chair now.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 68993

Reply By: Member - Gerk Yorke Pen (SA) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:29

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:29
Little Johnnny has taken all the guns away from the criminals so won't be a problem any more (for HIM.) Just the person out in the bush trying to protect their family.
AnswerID: 68997

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:48

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:48
Ahhh,
Therein lies the problem....
The crims still have their guns!!! It's only the honest folk who complied with the confiscation (oops, sorry "buyback") scheme....
(Don't get me goin' on this one.....)

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 329431

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 14:06

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 14:06
Only Honest folk? so no dodgey people handed over 1/2 their arms cache?

Crims and honest people have guns now, and always have and always will.
FollowupID: 329439

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 13:38

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 13:38
Yes i agree....
Not one single piece of crap (criminal) was made to give up a gun....
AnswerID: 69028

Sponsored Links