EEl Pool, Wonawatha or Running Waters!!

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 15:49
ThreadID: 14911 Views:1857 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Heading up Pilbara way next week, does anyone have current news on condition of the above area? I note that Carawine is no longer the beautiful site it once was and am guessing that Running Waters has suffered the same fate but would like to know if anyone has been that way in the last few weeks? I think it is also known as Skull Creek. If the Pilbara is too cold we may end up in the Kimberley once again, what a fate but someone has to do it! Cheers and happy travelling.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 18:49

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 18:49
28 degrees today - cold enough for ya ?

Will ask about re : running waters
AnswerID: 69076

Reply By: dingdong - Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 19:52

Thursday, Jul 22, 2004 at 19:52
Hi Don,
Was there 3 weeks ago yes a fair bit of damage no camp spots only maybe on ridge above in the open . It may have dried out a bit by now but doubt it . Was a bit
tricky crossing the Oakover but we made a new track so you should be alright .
Carrawine Gorge is a mess but there are nice camp spots to right from track in I dont think it would be wise to tow anything in there though as we had to let tyres down to get in & out , Fit 4 vehicles in under trees .
Cheers dingdong
AnswerID: 69094

Reply By: Wayne from the Pilbara - Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 00:44

Friday, Jul 23, 2004 at 00:44
Hi Don

Was at Carrawine on the weekend and having never been there before still thought it was great. As said good camping down to the right of the track. There are still some trees and grass there.

The Skull Springs Road is CLOSED. There are signs up to say so. Just be aware that you will be on a closed road and that there are penalties if you are caught. The East Pilbara Shire says that the Oakover is IMPASSIBLE. It is difficult but it is passible in 4WD. There is a new track across marked with pink ribbon. Not too difficult, just a bit sandy and a bit of water crossing it (about 20-30cm deep).

Skull Springs Road has lots of washaways, so be careful along there. Its about 140 kilometers from Woodie Woodie across towards Nullagine and it took us about 6 hours driving (with stops for morning cuppa, lunch and photos.)

Didn't go into Running Waters as we wanted to get closer to Nullagine area to camp before coming home earlyish the next day.

Have a good trip.

Wayne
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 69161

Sponsored Links