Mungeranie pub

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:34
ThreadID: 14961 Views:2286 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Folks,

Off to Mungeranie tomorrow for a couple of nights, for a Catchment meeting. Will be good to see that country at the moment, as it's drying off a lot closer to Winton. Travelling via the Lakes, Springvale, Coorabulka, Bedourie, then Birdsville. Only about 6 hours to Birdsville that way, then a further 3 hours or so to the Pub.

Just checking the wagon over at the moment, well when I finish on EO.
Have to put on 2 new BFG AT's, and give the wagon a bogey. Peewee crap everywhere. Will call in to see Ruth, and give a bit of cheek too. Bit late to get to Maree for the movie weekend.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 15:56

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 15:56
Have a great trip. If you miss the turn off and end up further south in Melbourne...come and see us!!! Andrew said to watch out for the WWW in Birdsville.....would love to be there myself to catch up and get away from the icy/wet weather here.

Jen
AnswerID: 69412

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 17:56

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 17:56
Catchment meeting!! You call going down there and catching up in the Pub with your mates a meeting.... I reckon I can guess what is really going on.

As Jen said, watch out for the WWW (Wicked Witch of the West). She must be starting to get tired and grumpy as the season has been going a while now.

Now if you find any opals, Jen might be interested...

Andrew
AnswerID: 69423

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:40

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:40
Hello Andrew and Jen,

Thanks offer but think it's a bit cold down your way. Had some of your weather here last week and that was a bit hard to take, well without the reverse cycle aircons, anyway.

We'll be just like blowflies at Ruths, buzz in and buzz off. Might camp there on the return trip though?

Hooroo...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 329769

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 18:25

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 18:25
Bob Y,

Am I correct in thinking you refer to the Lake Eyre Catchment Basin?

If so, for the edification of all EO people, it may be valuable to provide some links and briefly describe what it is your group do. I beleive you may find quite an amount of support from EO folk.

Say g'day to Struth & Ian from me. The BoM site tells me its about 28 C in Birdsville, but only about 12 C here in Adelaide.

Best wishes from (a now city based) supporter of the LECB
AnswerID: 69429

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:48

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:48
G'day Rick,

You're nearly right, the meeting is Georgina-Diamantina Catchment Group which is a part of the Lake Eyre Basin. Coopers Creek is the other Catchment Group. The Lake Eyre Co-ordinating Group no longers functions because of a change in funding by both State and Commonwealth Govs. It has been replaced by a Regional Body called Desert Channels Queensland.

Anyone interested in obtaining more info can go to Lake Eyre Basin site at www.lakeeyrebasin.org.au Some great photos, and lots about the basin, which covers 1/6 of Australia.

Thanks for the support, Rick, if you'd like to member message me, I'll post you one of the lastest brochures that has come out, on tourism in the LEB.

Hooroo...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 329773

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 19:34

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 19:34
G'day Bob,
Mate it's not too far from the PUB to here, so if you don't want to go back the way you come down, feel free to come down to the YP of SA and say g'day.
Hope you have a good one mate,
Cya later.
AnswerID: 69436

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:52

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:52
G'day Roachie,
Thanks for the offer but to busy here to stay away too long. Have been trying to think up some illnesses today, so I don't have to go, but still at moment. Mightn't be tomorrow night!!?

Would need too much time as would have to check out the Pootrol, and the Ultimate. More better you come up here.

Hooroo...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 329777

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:17

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:17
G'day Bob,
We're heading up through Innaminka to Cape York in September. Probably come back down through Birdsville. Maybe we can catch up on one of these legs of the trip.
Will stay in touch.
Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 329925

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:03

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:03
Hey Bob, couldn't get through to you on Member Message - just keep freezing up. Temp reached 32 today (on our verandah) - delightful NW wind (you know what that's like) - typical dusty Races weather LOL. Look forward to seeing you - supply truck came in today so we have milk for coffee - and food, yahoo. Had dinner with Jane Morton last night at the rubbedy dub and she mentioned the meeting was on - not sure if she is going down. What have you done with all the fish at the Lakes - not much being caught.
Andrew & Jen - can report large yabbies in the Billabong today. Roachie - people in an Ultimate camper having a big feed of yabbies tonight. Andrew - what do you mean the WWW might be starting to get cranky - she's been cranky since the beginning of the season.
Rick Moore - was supposed to email you a couple of nights ago. Was talking to someone about you (at the clothes lines of course) and suggested to them that if they were in Adelaide they should meet you - anyhow once I said your name - they said 'But we did meet him a couple of days ago at Royal Geo. Society' blah blah. Anyhow, Nick & Susan have headed off up the River! Small small world.
AnswerID: 69449

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:58

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:58
Goodo Ruth, I like food, but don't need milk in my coffee thanks.

Rhondda wants to see Bev too, so might have to put a time limit on her, though at this stage she is in the other vehicle. Probably jump in with us tomorrow, as the other car is a Pootrol.

Dunno about the Lakes, last time I was there I was busy carting cattle home from Springvale, and Ian was there then with Sully(?) Think you'd better ask them.

See ya tomorrow, hooroo...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 329778

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 10:43

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 10:43
yeah, Ruth,

I was in the Royal Geographical Society Library in North Tce, Adelaide -a rare thing for me as I find it tough to get in there in working hours. I was looking for Warbuton & Babbage's diaries as I think I may have "discovered" another 5 cones of Stones of McDouall Stuart's, and I wanted to check what those blokes did. They were in the L Eyre South region only short months prior to McDouall Stuart's second journey,in 1859.

Anyhow, I recognised a lady's face as she arrived. I had noticed them in a well fitted out 80 Series, while we were both looking for a car Park. Anyway, we had a good yak, and turns out they (Nick & Susan) are frequent ravellers in the much more remote areas in the L Eyre basin/Simpson desert. My impression was that they are very interested in serious camping/touring/re-traceing old routes/history. They were expecting to be away for about 3-4 weeks.

So I of course said are you up with EO - no. Do ya know Ruth? Yes. Well say G'day says I. Yep, small world.

Please also say G'day to Bob Y as he calls through. I will contact him for more details on his catchment group. You might tell him I did the Georgina River run from 100 Km above Cammoweal to B'Ville.

Cheers
FollowupID: 329796

Sponsored Links