Busted TURBOCHARGER Nissan GU 2.8td Garrett M24

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 19:37
ThreadID: 14969 Views:4163 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there folks,
Somehow..something foreign was inside the intake duct of the turbo on the Nissan GU 2.8TD, and has stuffed the inlet profile of the air impellor on all vanes.
You guessed it, I am up for a re-build or a new unit. ($4K) + --
There was a step change in noise and a noticeable drop in performance, no noticeable vibration but it screams like a big cat diesel blower hence if there is noise there must be some vibration
The object cannot of come via the air intake past the air filter outlet as closely adjacent is an internal stainless steel mesh to protect the electronic air flow sensor in the intake system.
I am thinking that something has come adrift ??? Possibly from the electric sensor.
I have had the vehicle since new in 1999 and only has 70,000Km on the clock and NEVER had that air system apart.
Has anyone ever had this happen to them? and I wonder about after market turbo's interchangability with original factory (Nissan) in performance & cost.
Also exchange units & re-built of your own.
It all costs precious money (retirement savings) any help appreciated.
I live Sydney outer West.
Regards
Donald
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ramp - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:32

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:32
hi Donald, sorry to hear your bad news and i cant help you in anyway as to where an object has come from. i have the same 2.8 1999 and have had that sensor and pipe work apart as silly me used a finer filter for a while and found the sensor needed to be cleaned from a build up of oil residue,hence back to original filters. i wonder if it might be fatigue of the blades themselves. however i was going to contact you anyway in regards to the clutch and was wondering if nissan had a recall to do with the clutch as i have just replaced my fly wheel,pressure plate and clutch plate after 140,000kms and a tech at westco thought there had been one. as i have moved address several times since buying the car i might have missed the notice letter.so before i ring nissan i thought i would find out first. cheers rob
AnswerID: 69443

Follow Up By: Member - Donald_L - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:47

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:47
Thanks Rob,

I have not recieved a re-call, I thought it was with the 4.2's.

cheers
Don
FollowupID: 329761

Follow Up By: Member - ramp - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:23

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:23
thanks donald, looks like ill have to bear all the cost. cheers rob
FollowupID: 329762

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 22:17

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 22:17
Donald, you may have done a thrust bearing on the turbo. The thrust bearing stops the turbine/compressor assembly from moving sideways through the turbo. If the bearing gets worn it allows the compressor blades to hit the compressor housing.
Your centre bearing may also be shot which allows the turbine/compressor assembly to move off centre around its usual rotating axis again damaging blades.
A quick check is to get hold of the nut on the end of the compressor wheel and push and pull it to see if there is any play from end to end. If there is then the thrust bearing is gone. Next, grab hold of the nut again and try to move the compressor wheel at 90 degrees to its rotating direction ie: up and down/ side to side, if there is any excessive play here then your centre bearing is shot. Note on this last test there will be some movement but it should be minimal if the turbo is in good condition.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 69460

Follow Up By: Member - Donald_L - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:54

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:54
Thanks Andrew,
The radial clearance is very minimal, end play the same.
The damage is isolated to the very face of the angular/progressive volutes of the inlet vanes only. As seen through the eye of the inlet casing. It has the symptoms of a Classic Rub. Either a foreign object or a fragmented tip of one of the vanes has given up due to fatigue.
As the truck has only done 70,000 Km it has only just run-in.
Compressor surge between loads is a major contributing factor to stress and fatigue of rotor blades on all types of industrial centrifugal compressors, heat recovery units etc which includes turbochargers of all sizes and application (diesel & petrol vehicles).
I am hoping it was a foreign object and not a design problem as we tow a 2100 kg van. The change in turbo performance is very apparent when the engine is under load. Can't afford to update just for the sake of it but we start having more problems there may be no choice.
If you send me your email address I can sen you a digital photo of the damage.
I am still trying to work out how to post photos for all to see.
cheers
Donald
FollowupID: 329808

Reply By: Jimbo - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:55

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:55
Donald,

This is not reasonable and Nissan should fix it, assuming you have had it properly serviced and not modified it.

Your remedy is to approach Nissan and if they refuse, take action against them in the "Small Claims Tribunal" or whatever it is called in NSW. You will need a mechanic's report detailing the reason for the failure and an opinion from a 4wd expert (magazine editor, 4wd outlet etc) as to how long a well maintained vehicle should last, say 400,000 km.

At the SCT usually no lawyers are allowed and the only cost you risk is a lodgement fee of around $30. You go and present your case, they state their case and the mediator decides. Ususally there is no appeal allowed.

I had a Magna a few years ago and the aircon destroyed itself when the car was well out of warranty. Mitsubishi's attitude was "stiff, it's out of warranty". Off to the SCT and I got full replacement cost. It's worth a go, you've only got $30 and the cost of a mechanics report to lose. Bugger all compared to $4,000.

If you need any further information I'm happy to give you a call during the week if you give me your number.

Good Luck,

Jim.
AnswerID: 69508

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:39

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:39
Gday Ring Garrett in Sydney, or Turbo Glide in Wollongong and get some options from them. . The new front compresser should be less than 100 bux, and thesame for new bearings, and thesame for balancing. All up u should be back on the road for less than $600.00.
These turbos are quite cheaper if u buy them from Garrett, Nissan ones, (costing 4k for the badge) is a rediculous markup.
Andrew
AnswerID: 69512

Sponsored Links