GU 4.2TD Patrol fitted with Safari Intercooler

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1497 Views:5550 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All Just wondering if anyone out there has a GU Patrol 4.2T/D fitted with a Safari Intercooler. EG- How does it peform, does the motor heat up as it is front mounted thus also effecting the A/C. Our present GU is starting clockup the K,s and we have been waiting for Nissan to release the 4.8 T/ D this could take for ever, the way nissan release new models with dealers not knowing what's coming until it lands on their door step. Cheers Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
I have a '98 GU Patrol 4.2TD fitted with Safari Turbo and Intercooler.
It goes like a shower of ---- when the turbo comes on boost (around 1500rpm) I have so far not had any cooling problems, the gauge never moves and the A/C works OK. The engine has about 130,000k.
AnswerID: 4899

Reply By: Tim Nivo - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
Steve. My brother and I both have GU Turbo Utes. Both are fitted with an intercooler that goes on top of the motor, with a bonnet scoop. we thought that this was a better idea than adding a third item to the front of the vehicle. Insects and grass seeds already are difficult to remove from between radiator and air con radiator. Also there is a lot less pumbing required to the intercooler. These vehicles are used for heavy towing, and the torque increase is very noticeable. Also more pleasant to drive unloaded,very rare to change down to 4th. Not sure of the brand of intercooler, but was fitted by capitol 4wd of Tamworth with dynotuning also. best of luck.Tim.
AnswerID: 4902

Reply By: Steve Mc Namara - Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for your answers Rob & Tim, Rob your GU must be a DX, as in 98 the factory 4.2 T/D wasn,t released sounds like it gets up and goes!!
Tim, is your intercooler bolted on top of the motor or does it sit on a bracket, above the motor mounted from the firewall back to the radiator mount, just wondering if it would survive constant vibration. Being top mounted is more appealing, as you mentioned grass seeds and the like. And does the job look well done. P.S Im a fussy bastard??

Cheers Steve P.S How much did it cost to have it fitted.
AnswerID: 4991

Follow Up By: Tim Nivo - Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00
Steve. The intercooler is basically self supporting, as it replaces the existing cross pipe. It does also have a substantial bracket that helps do the job of support and heat shield. I'm confident that it will handle the canning stock route in a couple of months. Bonnet scoop is standard nissan job. Have made up insect/seed mesh guards for the scoop. Sorry cant recall cost at the moment ( charged it to the company!). Give capitol 4wd in Tamworth a call. Great blokes. Cheers. Tim
FollowupID: 2152

Sponsored Links