Overnigting on the Nullabor - Any ideas ???

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 19:47
ThreadID: 14970 Views:3206 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All ,

I leave Sydney on Monday for Meekatharra and reckon I will crash in a motel in Broken Hill on the first night .

Can any of you travellers suggest any place to either camp or pay for accomodation on the way across the Nullabor . I have never been past Port Augusta , so I have no idea what lies in front of me . It's odd , but I seldom hear anyone discuss that stretch of roaqd .

I will have 26 days straight camping after leaving Meekatharra , so I wouldn't mind paying for a bed !

Thanks ,

Willie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 19:54

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 19:54
Hi Willie, i have done the nullabore about 30 or so times due to family in WA and would have to say that i have only ever had a couple of bad experiences. Caiguna and Norseman. I usually stay at Madura. Be prepared to pay $100 or so for the night and pay lots for a beer,unless you meet a local to buy it for you.(they have local and tourist prices)
I spent 12 months in Meekatharra. Whay you doing there?
AnswerID: 69439

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:38

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:38
Brew69 ,

I am startying a 26 day tagalong into the Little Sandy Desert and Great Sandy Desert which finishes up at Newman . I have never been to any of the WA mining towns and I am looking forward to it as I am always fascinated by gold mines and old mine wortkings .

If I overnight in Broken Hill , where do you reckon I should stay the next night ? I wont get to Madura will I ?

I should be able to do at least 1000 klm a day .

Thanks for your help ,

Willie
FollowupID: 329767

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:39

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:39
Hi mate, if you can make it to a little town about 90 km east of Ceduna called Wirrulla(just checked it on travelmate.com.au and it is 790km from broken hill) you will find a great little pub with lots of friendly people. The rooms there are far from flash but very cheap.They have a spot for powered vans and campers but again not flash. If you get time one day there are some great places to visit north of this town in the Gawler Ranges and beyond.
FollowupID: 329804

Reply By: Davoe - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:21

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:21
Not quite on the Nullabor but try Mt Wudinna 16k n of Wudinna for free camping and a spectacular monolith. Also Fraser Range Station before Norseman or at Norseman the motel right next to the caravan park $73 per night and good rooms
AnswerID: 69442

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:42

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:42
Davoe ,

I couldn't find Wudiina on my map . Where is it ?

Thanks ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 329771

Follow Up By: Davoe - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 18:42

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 18:42
jeez nothing has changed! when i lived there not even south australians Knew where it was. It is half way along the eyre penninsula so from port Augusta it is about 60k to iron knob then 80k to kimba and then 103k to wudinna. The road to Mt Wudiinna is sighn posted or otherwise either roadhouse can help you out. Mt Wudinna is a large Granite monolith set in farmland. Just google wudinna and it shouldnt be to hard to get some pics
FollowupID: 329854

Reply By: Magnus - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:40

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 20:40
Willie,

Agree with Brew69. If you want to dash across then Madura is an overnight stop. Only 1143 Klms from Port Augusta.

But. if you want to see something, and there is really heaps to see then you should allow three days or perhaps even four with corresponding stops to fit.

Last Sept we stayed at Ceduna, Nullarbor Road House and Caiguna (never again) on the way over and Belladonnia and Travellers Village and Ceduna on the way back. Could have used an extra day both directions to take in more of the sights.

So, depends on what you want to do. As always, horses for courses.

Have a good trip

Cheers

Magnus
AnswerID: 69444

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:48

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:48
Magnus,

I only have five days to get from Sydney to Meekathara , so I cannot go sight seeing unfortunately . WHat happened in Caiguna ?

I here that Ceduna is no0t a very hospitable place either - did you like it there ? Where did you stay there ? If it's OK , I guess I should stay there on my second night and in Madura on my third night .

Thanks a lot ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 329772

Follow Up By: Magnus - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 22:49

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 22:49
Willie,

Ceduna was fine. We spent a week there on way over. Stayed at the Big 4 almost in town opposite 2 servos. First night in a 2 year old on site cabin $60 or $70 for the night. Fully self contained. Then a week there as well in the Camper Trailer. Very pleasant. Centerlink day (Thursday) can leave you wondering a bit. Byt certainly we felt safe enough to stay there on the way back.

STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU BOOK AHEAD.

Have lost details, but do a Google Search on Big 4 to get the Ceduna Big 4 details.

Noything happened at Caiguna. The staff were ok and friendly. The motel was circa 1950 or 1960. Clean enough but $100 a night.

I should have been suspicious when the bloke was surprised that I called ahead to book in the middle of the season.

We were the only ones there. Seems the place has a reputation. Nothing wrong, just vastly old and hugely overpriced.

We organised our return trip to avoid having to stay there.

So, do call ahead and book.

Just remember, it is a long lonely boring road. Make sure you take a rest every two hours or so. Carry plenty of water. It's a bit scarce out there. Don't pass servos. Unless you have long range tannks, you will have to stop at nearly all of them to refuel.

Well even if you don't need to refuel completely, stop anyway. It will make sure you have at least a small break. You don't want to end up an accident statistic.

Get some CD books or talking books. They make a big difference because there ain't no radio out there. We took 6 CD books with us. They really helped.

Have a good one

Cheers

Magnus

FollowupID: 329781

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:45

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:45
I had a hot chicken roll at caiguna that was circa 1950.Troule was it was in 1991. The bread roll was ok tho. And i got absolutely ripped blind by a mechanic at Norseman. These places mustn't realise that others will pass on bad service comments more often than good.
FollowupID: 329806

Reply By: Croozer - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 22:13

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 22:13
Willie,

2 months ago I drove to Perth from Sydney taking 3 1/2 days (it was mot a sighseeing trip on the way over). We left Sydney at 7.30 am (too late) and went through to Broken Hill arriving at about 8.30pm. It was a bugger driving the last couple of hours in the dark but thankfully not too many roo's.
We had arranged to get the cruiser serviced the next morning first thing so we didn't get away until about 9.45am and drove through to Ceduna where we stayed at the first motel as you come into town, arriving about 1/2 hr after dark (they also do dinner and have a bar!!). If we had left B/Hill earlier we would have probably made it to Nullabor Roadhouse.
Left Ceduna at 5.30am and drove right through to Southern Cross (4hrs from Perth) which was a 1600km + day.
We were sharing the driving so distance was not too much of an issue but I have stayed at Cocklebiddy Roadhouse before which was also ok.

One tip I can offer is regarding fuel, make sure you fill up at Ceduna, don't top up at Border Village ($1.37) because a little further along at Mundrabilla it was about $1.16 from memory, Norseman was ok (about $1.04).

Hope this helps,
Have a great trip

Stuart
AnswerID: 69459

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 14:32

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 14:32
Thanks everyone ,

I will now go and book motels in Broken Hill , Ceduna and Madur and have noted the fuel tips .

I have 100 litres of water and 280 litres of diesel on board - 380 kg before I load anything else .

I just finished packjing the car and now I am sitting around asking myself "what have I forgotten "- better check my lists again !

This is my last read of the Forum for six weeks .

Willie
FollowupID: 329817

Follow Up By: member-skippyking - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 22:14

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 22:14
Willie,

Eucla, if you get that far has bed only rooms cheap and clean with caravan park ablutions also clean. Also restaurant and bar that aren't too bad price wise.

Mundrabilla is the cheapest fuel by 10c/L in the middle of the Eyre Hwy.

Remember you are going with the sun and the clock. You can clock up 80 odd km's in exactly 0 seconds as you cross the WA border.;~))

SK
FollowupID: 329891

Reply By: motherhen - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 16:21

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 16:21
Most of the roadhouses have camping - but if you reqlly want to go camping - there's thousands of acres of wilderness as you cross Nullabor - just pull off the road and enjoy. In WA a number of parking bays are substanial and some have "long drops". We have no trouble driving till towards end of daylight, then finding a bit of paradise to stop for the night.
AnswerID: 69537

Sponsored Links