Innamincka to Birdsville

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:13
ThreadID: 14972 Views:2248 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Bit of a tip for those travelling between Innamincka and Birdsville - it may only seem a small way on the map (via Cordillo Downs or Arrabury) but it takes a long time. Just parked some camper trailers (one vehicle with broken back windscreen from stones thrown up and windscreen nor covered with cardboard carton) - at 9:00 p.m. This is a bit silly - the idea of having a camper trailer and going camping means that you can pull up anywhere, open up and make dinner, get the kids to bed - have a bush camp and enjoy the outback.
This season the road seems to be longer and taking longer - people should plan on having an overnight camp between points - some lovely camp spots by waterholes on the way - lovely weather.
Less stress on the fathers, mothers and the kittle kids - some of these tonight in one family are three under three. Needs to be more thought into how far to travel each day and not trying to do too much. Safety is an enormous factor here because of fatigue and stress, after all, you are supposed to be on holiday and everyone is supposed to enjoy it, not run the risk of accident due to being overtired and trying to push on.
So, if travelling from Innamincaka to Birdsville - or vice versa, it is going to take between 7 - 10 hours, depending on how many stops.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:59

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 21:59
Well said Ruth, very very pertinent point.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 69456

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 22:02

Saturday, Jul 24, 2004 at 22:02
G'day Ruth,
Once again you've come up with good advice, based on that not-so-common commodity...."common sense".
I know I've been guilty of this in the past and probably will be again. We look at a map and decide it won't take long to drive 4"........What The?????
We did exactly what you are talking about a few years ago. Roads were all closed and the authorities finally decided about 11am one day that the Cordillo Downs road to Birdsville could be used and let us go. We got as far as just north of Montakeleary Creek and came across a really long stretch of boggy road. We set up camp on the western side of a large red sand dune.......it was a great little spot and we relaxed for the night. Next day one bloke did a reccy for about an hour (on foot) and came back to advise that we'd be better off going back a bit and crossing over into Qld and going via Arrabury Station, which we did.
We still got there, but as we didn't "know" you at the time, you wouldn't have remebered us. We were a party of 3 Ultimates and 1 (broken) Jayco.
Hope the terrorists aren't getting you down......
Take it easy, not long to you get your turn for a holiday down here....
Cya later
AnswerID: 69457

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 00:41

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 00:41
Well said Ruth, having driven to Birdsville from Innamincka via the Cordillo Road twice now, I think if I HAD to do it a third time, I would split the drive up and reduce the strain on the vehicle by pushing too hard.

Cheers
AnswerID: 69474

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 08:02

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 08:02
A Toyota wouldn't feel the strain!
FollowupID: 329790

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 10:16

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 10:16
Ruth,
You are SOOOOOO one-eyed. Wait till you come down here and I'll convert you over to be a Nissan gal!!!!
hahahahahaha
FollowupID: 329795

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 16:49

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 16:49
This is for your Roachie, - NEVER, NEVER, NEVER (sorry, didn't mean to shout - much).
FollowupID: 329837

Reply By: Banjo - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 16:14

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 16:14
Indeed Ruth - amen to all that - its a syndrome of course - maximising the places seen within our time away from work. When its over, people often wonder what actual quality time they had ! Trouble is, they have to do it to learn it I think (we did - now we know). We've wised up - our outback trips now allow for play time each day - cover less distance - have a much better time ! Hope to meet you if and when the camper ever gets here.
AnswerID: 69533

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 16:51

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 16:51
Well said Banjo - unfortunately, for some the first experience is so bad they never venture out again. Hope the camper arrives soon - I know you've been looking forward to it.
FollowupID: 329838

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:17

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 19:17
Ruth
Well said. We are leaving Wagga 31/7 and expect to time our arrival in Birdsville about lunch time Monday or Tuesday (or Wednesday) to give us time to look around. Re cardboard stone guard, took your advice but managed to get some polycarbonite cut locally which I've just finished fixing (velcro).
We have had rain on and off all weekend so will stick to the tar to Broken Hill and will likely reach Pack Saddle day 1.
Looking forward to meeting you
Bob and Betty
AnswerID: 69573

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 21:37

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 21:37
Travel carefully and safely and see you then.
FollowupID: 329878

Sponsored Links