Rodeo lift kits

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1502 Views:4369 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just wondering if it's worth resetting the rear springs since you can only tweak the front torsion bars approx. 20 mm? Also after seeing how far the stock shocks travel I would assume it is alomst mandatory to change them for long travel shocks if I raise the suspension at all. Am I right in assuming this?

TIA...Leigh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rodeoowner - Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 16, 2002 at 00:00
Leigh, I have a 2000 model Rodeo single cab. It is used as a work vehicle to cart my tools of trade around. When I first bought it and loaded it with a moderate amount of tools, the back end sagged. I was going to get Pedders to reset the springs, but Holden actually did it under warranty. I then moved state and changed jobs, requiring me to carry more tools, the suspension sagged again. I went to the local Holden dealer and after proving to them that I was not overloading the vehicle (via a weighbridge), agreed for a local suspension place to reset the springs again (again under warranty).After talking to the suspension shop, they agreed to reset the rear leaf springs to 20mm above standard. The vehicle now looks as though it should have originally. I am planning to raise the suspension, 20mm front and 25mm rear, but have not done this yet. I have 31x10.5x15 tyres, so that plus a 25mm lift will give 40mm over standard. Not mind blowing figures, but pretty good for what I do. If your Rodeo is new(ish) you may be able to talk Holden into resetting the rear springs under warranty. You will need to get longer shocks for a lifted rear (I will get mine when the lift is done), but the front will not need new shocks, even when lifted. Hopefully rodeorider will also answer, he has lifted his 2 or 3 inches. Cheers. Also try asking on http://forums.overlander.com.au
AnswerID: 4904

Follow Up By: Leigh - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00
thanks for that. Which holden dealer did you use? Mine is still under warranty.
This brings up another question. What reasonably price rear shocks should I consider?
Also Rodeoowner, do you find your 31x10.5x15 tyres rub the guards or hit anyting for that matter? What brand did you go for as I tried the BFG A/T's from a friends Pajero (ROH Navara offset steel white wheel) and they just protruded out from the guards so I was concerned that they may hit them if I hit a big pothole etc. Tyres seem to vary in size a bit between manufactures even though they are supposed to be the same size!

TIA.....Leigh
FollowupID: 2098

Follow Up By: Rodeoowner - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Leigh, the first Holden Dealer that I went to was in Ryde, Sydney (Victoria Rd). The second dealer is in Launceston, Tas. The vehicle was actually in for a service (in Ryde) when I asked the Service Dept. if the warranty would be void if I fitted Pedders Suspension to the rear. It was actually his idea to do them under warranty. When I had them reset the second time, that dealer told me that it was not covered under warranty (a standard response I think). I told him that I had already had it done under warranty, he looked at the vehicle and suggested that I had overloaded it. I took it to a public weighbridge, got a receipt and took it back to the dealer to show him that it was approx. 400kg under GVM. After this he agreed. I actually took the vehicle to the suspension business myself and had a talk to them about getting a small lift. They were happy to do it and said that they had done a few Rodeo's before under warranty. As far as shocks go, one day when I have enough money I will go for foam cell shocks, which are apparently heavier duty (my ute tray is always loaded with tools). The 3 that I know of are Pedders ($175 each), Tough Dog ($175 each) and 4x4 Aus (??). I reckon you would be pretty much right with OME or TJM though (about $100 each from memory), they are really popular. Like I said try the Overlander forum, there is heaps of info on suspension and shockers etc. Cheers.
FollowupID: 2100

Follow Up By: Rodeoowner - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Leigh, I have Bridgestone Dueler AT 693 tyres in 31x10.5x15 size. I have only had them for two weeks. They are on white steel wheels with the Navara offset. They don't protrude from the guards or rub or touch anywhere. The guys at the tyre dealership insisted that they would rub on half to full lock, but they don't even come close to rubbing or touching. Are you sure your mates wheels are the Navara offset? Check out www.pps.net.au/skips4x4/my4wds/rodeo/ This guy has BFG AT in 31" with Navara offset wheels and his don't rub either. Cheers.
FollowupID: 2105

Follow Up By: Leigh - Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00
I'm sure they are the Navara offset. Apparently the only other offset is Landcruiser/Patrol!
Leigh
FollowupID: 2106

Reply By: rockhoppin' rodeo - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

G'day mate...i had the rear leafs cold reset and an extra sub-leaf fitted. Also fitted oversize torsion bars (with OME shocks on all corners). The vehicle is now fully loaded for a simpson desert trip (tomorrow morn) and from the ground to mudguard edge now is 870mm front/885mm rear. Thats with steel bullbar/winch/BIG full fuel tank/all recovery gear/engel (full) and everything for a 3 week trip.
AnswerID: 4913

Reply By: rodeorider - Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00
Leigh, I have as rodeoowner said, lifted mine by way of an extra leaf and a reset, went up 75 mm, which put it a tad higher than the front.
I also run 10rx15 tyres, no problems.
Have just done 9,000 km dragging a windsor caravan round western QLD, then 3 weeks round cape york, with camping gear etc for 4 people, fuel water food etc, spares, tools, and guess what.. the springs are low again, not surprised though, jap leaf springs are generally bleep steel, ask any suspension place, I have used OME springs b4 on another 4wd, very impressed.
But this vehicle is near replacement time, so $$ was a factor in only resetting the springs.
My opinion, if the vehicle is relatively new, and you intend keeping it, go for a quality replacement spring.
Andrew.
AnswerID: 4943

Reply By: kingston - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00
leigh I have a 96 Rodeo dual cab and put ARB suspension with Nitro charger shocks.They tightened the torsion bar up about 20 mm and with the springs and shocks it lifted the back around 35mm it gave me much better wheel travel and handling.It also cut the body roll around 50%.
AnswerID: 4959

Follow Up By: Leigh - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies. It's interesting to hear what people have to say. Like for example on Skips 4x4 page he found the OME springs too hard and Kingston found them to be good. I think it's probably a person al thing and might require a bit of trial and error on my behalf.

Leigh
FollowupID: 2132

Reply By: peter - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

leigh i tried and failed to get my dealer to re do my rear springs. i currently own an 18 month old dual cab. within 6 months the suspension had sagged 35mm and before my cape york trip had rear springs reset and an extra leaf 25mm above original $310 and wound up the front. fitted 31x10.5R15 cooper STs another 10mm {great traction but a lot of road noise} tyres fit ok slight rubbing on inside rear gaurds but only on extreme flex. after 12 months {35k km} rear springs have dropped 15mm maybe all new aussie springs at $650 may have been better value. be carefull how high in rear the higher the back the lower the front. i luv my rodeo and with a lock rite in the front takes me anyware my club mates go.
ps i dont think skip used his as a work vehicle and most aussie springs come in different flexes
AnswerID: 4961

Follow Up By: Leigh - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Peter,

thanks for the info. You have reinforced my decision to purchase 30x9.5x15 as I have to fit snow chains at times and also I then don't have to worry about a lift kit at the moment. And about the suspension I was thinking about resetting the rear springs but now I'm thinking new springs or a kit.

Leigh
FollowupID: 2135

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
Gday Leigh,
I own a 99 Turbo Diesel dual cab Rodeo and like all of the above found the bessed thing sag in the rear. I went to my local Pedders Suspension store and enquired about getting the rear leaves reset with extra leaves, but was offered a new spring pack at a great price, so never went down that road. Since doing this a few friends have bought Rodeos and have had their rear springs reset under warranty and I find my Rodeo rides alot more comfortable than alot of my friends. The ones that had the reset only done with no extra leaf have found they sagged back to where they started. As far as rear shocks go you couldn't go past the foamcell....fantastic. Comfortable and great under load. The other thing they sold me was a new device called a Loadryder. Yes I am the perfect consumer but in all honesty it was the icing on the cake...not only did it help carry load but it made the ride smoother!
My over increase in rear height was just under 100mm and the front approximately 60mm. I forgot to mention sorry I fitted torsion bars and again the ride difference is incredible. I run 30x9.5R15 Mud Terrains and find I have never touched or scraped anywhere.
Hope this has been of some help.
Steve.
AnswerID: 5534

Sponsored Links