More rough tracks

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:51
ThreadID: 15176 Views:1879 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,

Back home for three days and a visit to the Big Smoke on Monday.

Have driven a few more Flinders Ranges Tracks these past 10 days. Tell you what, driving old Rosie, one doesn't need to go to the gym. No power steering and plenty of low range work keeps the arms and back and stomach muscles moving around.

New trek notes on Mt Gill have been uploaded to this site. There a one or two errors in the write up which will be corrected soon. I was going to do a Track file.plt today but low cloud and a bit of rain put paid to that. Will be doing that next week. Have also done Cockatoo/Dunbar track which is very good and a new track following past of the Old Coach Road to the north. Have also done A Pinch of Salt Track on Nilpena Station. Will be uploading this information to this site tomorrow and then you will have to wait for Michelle and Juliana to rework it and upload it. Will also be doing another 4 Flinders Tracks in August.

On the way home this arvo a couple of Subies flew past me on the black stuff so I gave chase(in the Commodore, that is) and they were calmy sitting on 180 clicks out near Parachilna. I noticed the missus grabbing hold of the seatbelt and on checking the speedo again we were nudging up to 200. Naughty boy!!! I backed off and let them go and returned to a boring 110(still not quite as boring as a Victorian 100).................

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:04

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:04
Willem - we have missed your moderating influence on this site. Weird things are happening and people are leaving out apostrophe's. You sound like you are enjoying your 'work'. 180+ shows that you are still a lair at heart.

Keep up the good work - might be able to have a look at some of the tracks in September or October when we are there. Letting the crack about Victoria go straight though to the keeper.... have you booked a cabin in November for Robe??

Cheers

Andrew

P.S. - Just as a measure of what sort of bloke you are, tell us how long it was between when you arrived home and when you turned on the computer!!
AnswerID: 70607

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:49

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:49
Andrew babe..........

Is the Robe trip on November? I will most likely be in WA.

Regarding your PS...about 20 minutes. I had to sort out a problem with my Dial up connection. Out bush and off the internet it keeps on wanting to connect me and then corrupts MS Word. Very frustrating when I cannot get intop work I am doing. When I get home and connect it to the net it works fine. Seems to me it has to be on the net or else...hahahahaha

Cold and rainy here today.
FollowupID: 330786

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:50

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:50
Andrew babe.......!

Willem, better you leave expressions like that to us young blokes.
What's happened to you, you found the fountain of youth or something or has it got something to do with adrenalin and 200 clicks.

Welcome back, may your tread always be clean.
FollowupID: 330851

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:08

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:08
Well Ray...he is but a babe...and a cheecky one at that !!!!!

Yeah one has to milk the fountain of youth and never sit still. Today is the first day of the first of your life...go go Gadjet goooooooooo...........

Rosie's treads are getting a workout in the Flinders but they are keeping clean.
FollowupID: 330857

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:15

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:15
At my age with two young kids, one barely out of nappies, I gotta keep young or get run into the ground. Any fountain of youth secrets will be warmly received...cya
FollowupID: 330860

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:20

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:20
Welcome back, even if it is only for a few days!

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 70609

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:59

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:59
Hi Wolfie,

I will be in Adelaide on Monday but it is going to be a rushed trip so I will drop in one day when there isn't so much on my agenda.
FollowupID: 330787

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 18:57

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 18:57
Cheers Will.

FollowupID: 330793

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:24

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:24
Welcome back. I was thinking of you the other day. My trip to Coburg Pen has been postponed until next year now as my mate across the road who was going to keep us company, did himself some massive shoulder damage when he went down skiing a couple of weeks back, and I don't want to leave him behind. Just damn, damn, damn, at least I don't have the pain he's suffering. My second choice for a shorter trip, and hence thinking of you, was to do some less travelled tracks in the Flinders sometime in Sept, all I have done in that area is the Sky Treck track on Willow Springs during our last whistle stop tour of the centre. I'll contact you shortly for a little guidance to secluded tracks, if that's alright with you.

I'm wondering if the infomation about exceeding the speed limit you are alegedly admitting to, if it happened to fall into the wrong hands, could be taken down and used in evidence in court against you. Now I'd hate to see that happen.

Best wishes old son.

AnswerID: 70610

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:41

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 17:41
Hi Cocka...Clicks could be feet, yards, or miles. If I get caught speeding I have to pay the fine. No use stuffing around in ones life carrying baggage. I certainly would not go down the road at the wrong speed where there is bound to be trouble but out in the sticks on a rainy day and 100km either way from nowhere, who cares? :-)

Yeah ask me anytime about tracks.
FollowupID: 330784

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 18:13

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 18:13
I know when Willem has his tongue in his cheek. It is a private joke about 200 clicks - just so he can have a go at Victoria - afterall - he was only in a Commodore!
FollowupID: 330788

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 18:20

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 18:20
Willem am pleased to see you pop in for a while and stop the crap posts that Andrew mentioned. You are a definite moderator towards the South Aussie crew there. Hoping that Judith is well too there as I guess she has not been up in the Flinders tracks with you despite the mention of the Parachilna road with her aboard. Am glad you didn't give Rosie a hard time at 180 clicks.

Reckon you could deal with a slow wolf at that speed too mate but better with the bullbar on Rosie. Do the Subies provide the road kill for the feral burgers at the pub there? Could be an enterprise til they hit something a bit big......

The Robe trip is the last weekend of October actually which a lot of the nation sees as a long weekend actually with the Melbourne cup on the 2nd. Reckon Eric with his high lift wants to make it a long weekend for a few anyway.
AnswerID: 70615

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 19:20

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 19:20
Hi John

Not being on the internet from time to time has its good points but lots of bad ones too as there is a mountain of work to get through when one gets home.

I we have WA planned for mid October but will be away 3 weeks at least. Want to go up the Anne Beadell to Perth and then back across the bitumen via the south east. Will see. Have to have my newer truck by then! So am going to miss out on Robe. You will have to winch them out of the sand!!!! hahahahaha

I saw a truck just like yours in Leigh Creek last week with an Exploroz sticker on it. We hope to drop in on you by 13/14th September on the way home from Anglesea.
FollowupID: 330799

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 19:59

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 19:59
Willie, you will be most welcome indeed - have the dates marked on the planner.....

I can't help your knowledge as ours has not been there since June, just before we called on you.
FollowupID: 330811

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:38

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:38
Hi Willem
Nice to hear from you again.
Sounds like your having fun.

You coming to Melb on that Vic trip ?

All the best.
Take Care.

John
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 70665

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:04

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:04
G'day John

Yep, hope to catch up with you between 1 and 14 September. Eric is out looking for a truck for me(I hope). We will be staying in Wantirna for a week or so and then go across the bay to Anglesea. Depends on when and where a truck is located.

Regards

FollowupID: 330855

Reply By: Des Lexic - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:44

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:44
Welcome back to downtown Pburra. Hope everything has been turning out as expected.
Keep thinking about you up at Beltana but with other being away at work, it's just not posible.
Keep well my friend and all the best to Judith and Jedda.
AnswerID: 70668

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:13

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:13
Geez Des, it's a bit plurry fresh here in the Borough. Must be 3 to 4 degrees warmer up in the Flinders. We are keeping well but doing a lot of commuting and more gadabout in the hills and creeks of Warraweena. Going to do another 4 tracks before the end of August.
Say hello to Elaine from us.
Regards
FollowupID: 330859

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 10:26

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 10:26
Willem,
never chase speeding Subies. They are usually leaving a robbery/ram raid and are unlikely to welcome tag alongs. I like getting to the NT for a bit of a fang. Even there it's strange how people seem rarely to go much above 140 even when they could do 200. I agree 100 kph in the middle of nowhere is almost impossible eg the Sturt Hwy before Hay.
AnswerID: 70708

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:16

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:16
We have found that in the bush (on the CSR etc), the bigger 4WD's have trouble keeping up with our Subies because of the extra drag from their jaws that have dropped and are scrapping on the ground - "WHAT THE ?!"
FollowupID: 331158

Sponsored Links