SIMPSON DESERT

Submitted: Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 01:44
ThreadID: 15213 Views:2263 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Simpson Trip coming up. Threads on this trip have been quiet for a while. May be that is 'cos everyone is up there. While we are not leaving until Sunday 15/8, any info that will help us what to expect will be appreciated. Fuel costs etc, spots/things 2c, any trivial info.

Believe there is a new bakery being built at Birdsville??

Route - Adel, Roxby, Coward Springs, Oodnadatta Track (The bridge, Eringa Springs) to Mt Dare the across SD to Birdsville, down Birdy Trk, (hopefully inside track), Mungaranie, Maree, Ark, Rawnsley then home. 16 great days. 5 vehicles.

Look for the fire engine red Hi Lux. UHF CH 10/14.

Let me know.

Russ T.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Blaze - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 03:41

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 03:41
Hi Russ,

2nd time across and we are heading out from the Riverland on the 14/8, shooting through to Hawker then up the Oodnadatta Track, missing mt Dare, as it is to far out of the way, shooting straight across to Dalhousie, just taking our time so 2 nights here, then across the SD starting on the French then dropping down to WAA, up the Erabeena track and then continuing along the French, also hope to do the inside track down to Innaminka, staying a few days around Coongie etc then down through Moolawatana to Willow Springs for a few days R&R and some Hill Top driving then home, 21 days all up. 5 Vehicles also.

Look for a Mazda Bravo feestyle with Redbacks painted on. UHF Ch 10/13

Also am interested in some feed back on Fuel prices up the Oodna Track.

Cheers Blaze
AnswerID: 70828

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:19

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:19
Guys,

you will only warn others of your presence if you forget this UHF Ch10/13 or 10/14 and stick on UHF 10 a b s o l u t e l y in the desert. 4dB gain antennas too so you keep the signal easy to collect and distribute. Don't go to extremes like 9dB.

Remember what Ruth said too about the dune flags and the visability of your vehicle. Make sure they are high and have plenty to flutter.

This site has had a great resource in its fuel prices throughout the country.

Once again stick to UHF 10 in the desert
FollowupID: 331073

Follow Up By: navaraman - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:50

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:50
I'd agree with sticking to Ch 10 to a point. I'd still be scanning other channels as there will possibly be other groups using various channels, not flying flags etc. I'd like some advance warning that they are around.
FollowupID: 331089

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 10:26

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 10:26
I have just come back from taking 17 vehicles with me across the simpson, and we went back as well.

Fuel at Mungerinnie is alot dearer than birdsville, we monitored channel 10 on a hand held UHF which gave us about 2 dunes notice of approaching traffic, so we didnt have to hear them for miles, and we used our main channel for the group on the in car radio, worked well.

Oodnadatta was great, fuel was cheaper than birdsville, the blue poles cafe was great in Birdsville, the waa and rig rd, and colson track were great, the french line sucks, because people dont deflate tyres, and also try and tow trailers, making the french line a mess.

the warbaton track was also good, lots of varying terrain if you go warby track, rig road, colson, short french line, to purnie,then dalhousie or vice versa

start of my trip report with pics
FollowupID: 331105

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:39

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:39
Offroad you would get two dunes notice of any traffic if you just scanned with a hand held yes, possibly assuming that they were transmitting.

If you are transmitting on another channel of course and they were listening on the regulation channel 10 you may have caused the head on. We came across one vehicle with a non working hand held and fortunatley had seen it. They are a danger to any other users, as are a large group that give no warning.

We saw one guy head off with a Suzuki Vitara, on his own, no flags, apeared no radio but could get sucked into a snorkel I guess with your large group.
FollowupID: 331110

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:58

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:58
Dont worry John, even scanning isnt fool proof, as alot of vehicles either didnt have radio's, or werent using them anyway, but like I said, the hand held worked well.

There was also several vehicles without flags, but, my group all had flags, talked among one another, and with me in front we treated every dune as a our side / their side situation, and worked on the theory "you cant avoid what you cant see"

We had no close calls for the amount of traffic on the trip, and being a large group, most oncoming just moved over for smoko or lunch when I said "another 16 coming" to let us go by, rather than want to meet them all on the dunes along the way.

Our convoy procedure, and radio ettiquette made organising the great group that came with me very easy.
FollowupID: 331111

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:43

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:43
The most important thing to remember on this trip, is to call in on both the lovely, friendly, helpful Ruth, at her magnificent camping ground/caravan park and have a visit to the Blue Poles Gallery and see Kirsten.

BTW, I believe the inside track is still closed due to flooding.

Enjoy the trip, I'm extremely jelous.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 70849

Reply By: Blaze - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 01:45

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 01:45
Hi again Russ,

I am guessing you meant like I did that you would be using Ch10 on the SD and 14 on all the rest of your trip. We will be only on 10 from Dalhousie to Birdsville and will run 13 the rest of the trip, we will also be scanning with a hand held. I hope this will let JohnR know we will be sticking to 10 on the desert as is directed by signage and with your Desert Parks Pass. Let me add, anyone out on the SD without a Flag is a liability, and I would be quite happy to see National Parks bring in on the spot fines for anyone stupid enough to endanger themselves and others by travelling in this manner.

We have a Mazda Bravo T/D, Ford Courier T/D, 2 T/D GU Patrols and a Diesel Tojo in our party.

As we are staying a couple of days at Dalhousie I am guessing we will see you there Russ, take care till then.

Blaze
AnswerID: 71000

Follow Up By: Russ - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 20:41

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 20:41
Yes mate, we both new what we were talking about. 10 for the SD and then our own CH.s.

C U There.

Russ
FollowupID: 331366

Reply By: Karsten from Birdsville Studio - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:40

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:40
Enjoy Russ,

Don't forget there are lots of great deals for Exploroz members. So if you're not a member, think about joining up. Check out the deals available before you leave.

Have a great Trip!

Karsten
AnswerID: 71051

Reply By: Patrol_Driver - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:27

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:27
Hi,

Got back 3 weeks ago from a 5400km round trip to the Simpson and Flinders Ranges. Had no problems and the desert was like a garden! Ran tyres at 26psi on the gibbers and 20 psi on the Simpson Desert. Use CH10 UHF in the desert and scan all other channels. You can rent a sat phone from Birdsville police station.

Yes there is a new bakery in Bordsville, I was there in July 2 but it wasn't open yet.

Here are some things to see/do/stay

Interesting Accomodation:

PJ's B&B in White Cliffs, you get to live underground in an Opal mine, fantastic!

The ATCO shed behind the Pink Roadhouse in Oodnadatta, surprisingly comfortable!

Nice Camp Sites:

Cameron Corner on the "Sports Field". You make a donation to the RFDS at the Corner Store. The tip is to camp as far east as possible from the store otherwise the generator will keep you awake all night.
Clay pan next to Providence Creek on the Cordillo Downs Rd
Cullyamarra Waterhole near Innamincka
Coward Springs
Clay Pan 200m west of Purnie bore in a clearing
Willow Springs in the Flinders Ranges.

Things to do:

Jock's underground mine tour in White Cliffs
The Dig Tree and Burke's Grave near Innamincka
Birdsville working museum
Swim at Dalhousie
Dalhousie Ruins
The abandoned township of Farina
SkyTrek at Willow Springs in the Flinders, fantastic drive!
RFDS base at Broken Hill
Burra in SA if you are coming home that way

Great meals:

The lamb shanks at the Birdsville Pub! Gotta try it!

Funniest sight:

6 camels running along the track in front of us for 5 minutes!

Saddest sight:

3 Land Rovers (2 defenders and a disco) in for repairs at the Birdsville Servo. Spoke to 2 owners who had to hang around for parts and basically cut short their trip. Shredded clutch, cracked fuel tank, sheared wheel studs.
AnswerID: 71474

Follow Up By: Russ - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 21:31

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 21:31
Thanks for your response.

Appreciate your input and will keep these things in mind.

Russ
FollowupID: 331867

Sponsored Links