Trip to Broome any suggestions ??

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 07:56
ThreadID: 15440 Views:2559 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we are planning the following in Sept, and would like to know 1 if its possible and 2 any tips, suggestions or warnings:

From Broome we rent a 4WD and start our “adventure”.

Day 1 – Spend a full day in Broome. Visit Gantheaume Point, Reddell Beach and finally end up in Cable Beach.

Day 2 – drive from Broome to Halls Creek via Derby and Fitzroy Crossing. The drive from Broome to Derby will be on the The Great National Highway (GNH). At Derby as we will take the off-road route of the Gibb River Road which links up to the GNH 42 km west of Fitzroy Crossing. From Fitzroy Crossing we drive to Halls Creek, DO ANY OF YOU KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE ??

Day 3 – Arrange a plane or helicopter ride over the Bungle Bungle (Purnulu National Park). Alternatively drive (160 km from Halls Creek) into the park and do the scenic walks. We would like to stay here if we can arrange decent accommodation ((ANY SUGGESTIONS??) otherwise we go back to Halls Creek.

Day 4 - We drive from Halls Creek to Kununurra on the GNH. Stay the night at Kununurra

Day 5 -- Do the boat ride on the Ord River and if time permits we see the Mirima National Park – similar to the Bungle Bungles. Stay the night at Kununurra or drive back to Warmun.

Day 6 & 7– drive back to Broome – 900 km
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 08:31

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 08:31
A good side trip would be up to Beagle Bay and further on to the Cape.
AnswerID: 71976

Follow Up By: mcboom - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:22

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:22
cheers for that well !
FollowupID: 332150

Reply By: Lynn2 - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 08:33

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 08:33
Dear Mcboom,

You can do a helicopter flight over the Bungle Bungles from Kununurra Airport. When we did this we were picked up by 4WD and drove into Picanninny Creek. From here we walked the 1.5 kms into Cathedral Gorge. This was also in September and was a very very hot walk. A helicopter is an ideal way to see the Bungles as it drops down low and you get excellent views. I don't think you can stay anywhere near here unless you have your own tent, etc

Another alternative to above, why don't you drive the Gibb River Road to Kununurra (since you are hiring a 4wd). Everything you mention above you can do in 2wd vehicle.

The GRR is a beautiful experience - you don't have to camp if you don't want to there are Cattle stations along the route where you can stay. But there are great spots to camp - Bells Gorge (where you can have your own secluded camping spot - you take a tag as you drive in and this allows you exclusive access. The spot we camped had direct access to a crystal clear creek. Manning Gorge, Jack's waterhole and last but not least, El Questro (just before Kununurra). They have accommodation at two spots as well as camping - Emma Gorge and Station Township.

Personally, I would do this and keep away from Halls Creek.

Whatever you decide it's a great part of Australia - I can't wait to go back.

Regards,
Lynn
AnswerID: 71977

Follow Up By: mcboom - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:22

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:22
Thanks for the suggestions. Will take on board, and most likely drive the GRR to Kununurra. Is it fairly easy going ?
FollowupID: 332149

Follow Up By: davo - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 22:29

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 22:29
G day mcboom
Ive just come back from the Gibb , exellent trip , the first half (400ks) is easy going but the last 200ks is a bit rough but if you are hiring a fouby then sweet. If you are going all that way it would be a shame to miss as the landscape the gorges are spectacular.Im with lynn in regards to Halls Creek .

Davo
FollowupID: 332301

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 08:38

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 08:38
Day 2 – drive from Broome to Halls Creek via Derby and Fitzroy Crossing. The drive from Broome to Derby will be on the The Great National Highway (GNH). At Derby as we will take the off-road route of the Gibb River Road which links up to the GNH 42 km west of Fitzroy Crossing. From Fitzroy Crossing we drive to Halls Creek, DO ANY OF YOU KNOW IF THIS IS POSSIBLE ??

Answer....YES but you will need an extra day to fit in Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek as well

Haven't heard of any resort within Purnululu NP...bush camping only

Bit of a rushed trip, eh?
AnswerID: 71978

Follow Up By: mcboom - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:18

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 09:18
Yes unfortunately time is precious. At least we figure its better to have gone for sometime then to not have gone at all !!
FollowupID: 332148

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:20

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:20
Gee I wish you had more time, there are so many things that you are going past that need time to appreciate them.
Re Broome - Derby, at Fitzroy Crossing (the locals call it "fitaroy") sit in the back bar of the oldest pub with the locals for an hour or two & chat with old Churchill or Dorothy, you'll learn a lot about the area and the local life style, also the restaurant does a great dinner. The drive across to Halls is as boring as because you are just skirting the edge of the real Kimberley region.
It's a great drive into Purnululu, take it easy. The heliicopter trip is good but do it first & early then walk the bee hives and Cathederal Gorge. The other gorges are also worth a look but to do it all + the fire-side night time eco talks by NPWL you will need 3 days. Bush camp only - no caravans & facilities are good.
In Derby there is a flight out to the horizontal waterfall - book at the local tourist office - a brilliant day out, one of the best things we did.
Another suggestion for a great excursion from Broome, is to Cape Livique (G's country) via Middle Lagoon. There is excellent accomodation there (must book - Kooljamin Resort) + a good restaurant. If you have limited time and want a holiday I'd suggest going up there, you wont be dissapointed.
I really think you are trying to do too much and will see nothing because of the distances to be travelled.
I calculated your distance at about 1500k's to get from Broome - Kunnanurra one way.
AnswerID: 71992

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 15:15

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 15:15
How could I have forgotten to also mention the flight over the horizontal waterfall!!! We did it from Broome - a wonderful day and also one of the best things we did.
FollowupID: 332197

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 19:11

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 19:11
Lynn2 - I'm not talking about flying over but flying to. We landed on a nearby bay , were picked up and taken to a resort boat for tea, bikkies and a yarn, then went by fast boat to ride up and through the falls at their peak flow - what a buzz - at one point we were sitting on the face of the fall while the water roared under us and the engine revs held us stationary on the face of the flow. WOW.
FollowupID: 332245

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 08:48

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 08:48
Yes, that's the same trip we did. Have some wonderful shots of the waterfall and of the resort - particularly the swimming pool. We had an amazing morning tea, if I remember, fresh scones, etc.
FollowupID: 332319

Reply By: Pyalong - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:50

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:50
Hi McBoom,
Just returned from 7 week trip up to that way...found broome very very busy....if you got your heart set on particular accomodation there book early!!!. We never booked but just rocked up to broome caravan park (first one in on right), they found spots for us on two occasions (but we were in town fairly early on both occasions)....found broome very busy place (had to wait 24 hrs to get tyre repaired...and book vehicle in 2 days in advance for service)...decided to spend the week up the dampier peninsular (Quandong Point and Mudnun community).

Your day to Halls Creek (via Derby etc) = a particularly long day...and as willem say's, you will not have time for tunnel creek(worth a look for an hour or two), winjana(another great place for an hour or two at least...we camped), and others. We left broome around 9.30 towards h/creek (on the highway)...stopping only at fitzroy for fuel...made camp at Mary Pool at 4.30....some 95 kms shy of h/creek...so I doubt You would enjoy your day via derby.

Bells gorge camping good...but to get a tag for private camping...I would suggest getting there early ( we got there around 11.00 am, and was only 2 tags).Manning was a great spot...loved it!!...huge water hole for swimming at the camp, and about an hour and quater walk to the falls for even better swimming.

Bush camping only at the bungles,..nice spot though....allow 2 1/4 hours to travel the 52kms to the rangers hut...another 20 mins to camping spot.....and another 20 mins or so to the cathedral gorge for the walk and to get into the bungles itself.

found GRR good ...except for 55 kms from el questro heading south (we went from top to bottom)...found we were only doing around 50k/hour in that area...but the road got better after that.

Enjoy your trip...and the great weather!!!!!!!!!!!......if you want to know any other info feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
Mick.
AnswerID: 71996

Follow Up By: mcboom - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:04

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:04
Hi Mick
Can I give you a buzz to discuss our planned itinerary and get some suggestions for staying along the GRR ?

Cheers
-Marc
FollowupID: 332701

Follow Up By: Pyalong - Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 10:39

Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 10:39
sure marc...doyleeast@dodo.com.au...my missus probably has the better memory for the details...or so she thinks!....I think ..If my memory serves me right..lol.
FollowupID: 332752

Reply By: mcboom - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 19:29

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 19:29
How many days we need to do the Gibb River Road from Derby to Kununura while seeing a few gorges on the way. Can we do it in three days?
AnswerID: 72342

Sponsored Links