Is Optus's CDMA offering reallys Telstra's??

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:18
ThreadID: 15518 Views:2560 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
does any one know if Optus's CDMA network is just Telstra's CDMA network being re-sold? Or have Optus really gone to the expense of deploying CDMA??

I am just in the process of deciding on carrier and phone plans, so any feedback is highly appreciated.

regards
Bryan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:30

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:30
Hi Bryan,

I recently obtained a CDMA phone and I (well my work) is with Optus. The CDMA network used is definently Telstra and there is a VAST difference in the coverage between Optus Digital and Optus(Telstra) CDMA.

When I had the Optus digital (on the Optus network) I had virtually no coverage north of Wanneroo whereas my brother-in-law had a CDMA and was only out of range for a total of ~30 mins all the way to Kalbarri. Haven't lok back since.

Even though its the Telstra network, Optus still handle all the phone support like getting time changed before switching to voice mail (not user selectable like GSM digital).

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 72406

Follow Up By: Bryan (WA) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:38

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:38
Hi Captain,
thanks for the reply. I need mine for work also, (I provide the phone and then claim work usage back from work) so I am trying to look for the best plans, coverage, etc.....

regards
Bryan
FollowupID: 332591

Reply By: Croozer - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:34

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:34
Hi Bryan,
I can't say for sure but I think they are separate.

I wanted CDMA but use my phone mainly in Sydney metro and mainly to call the wife on her phone or to call landlines so I went for the Orange network. They have their own network in Syd & Melb metro and some other areas but when you leave the orange covered areas they switch over and roam on the Telstra CDMA network giving you excellent coverage.
The upside is calling between Orange phones is free for 5 mins (& free sms) and 24c for 10 mins to landlines (nationally) all day, but only in the orange covered areas. I also got 2 phones on one $33 plan with $33 worth of calls p/m
The downside is no freebies or specials when roaming on Telstra network and call charges are charged at a higher rate.

For me its ideal but unless you spend most of your time in an area covered by Orange it might not suit you.

Have a look at the Orange website

Hope this helps
Stu
AnswerID: 72407

Follow Up By: Bryan (WA) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:40

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 23:40
Hi Stu,
thansk for the info, I'll go check them out now.

regards
Bryan
FollowupID: 332592

Reply By: Banjo - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:01

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:01
Amen to the Captain's input - I nearly went Optus with my Kyocera 3245 but they couldn't supply at the originally attractive price - their manager said that there is only one (Telstra) CDMA network. And the bulldust marketing has to be heard to be believed. Phones - networks - options - specials - offers - mostly marketing crap - went to Telstra in the end and bought the phone and service - they offered me a discount I didn't know was there and turned out to be the best price - worst ? Crazy John - how come he's so wealthy ? Obviously caters to a different market.
AnswerID: 72428

Follow Up By: Bryan (WA) - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:10

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 21:10
I went into crazyjohns to have a look at phones, but cant say i was impressed with the sales people either.. but he did show me the new motorola T730 CDMA phone,, which is the one Im going to get.. Telstra have an offer on at the moment, that if you bring your number form another carrier, they will give you $100 credit,, so Im thinking if I get a $30 pre-paid sim from another carrier and take to Telstra, I'll get a $100 credit for bringing my number to them... so I make a $70 profit :-)
will have to check the fine print a bit more first :-)

I think I will go straight to Telstra and get the phone and servicve from them as it is their network (and hopefully I can get my number porting credit ) :-)

regards
Bryan
FollowupID: 332702

Reply By: Utemad - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 13:17

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 13:17
One network.

When I was comparing phone/network/plans, I asked Optus for a CDMA coverage map and was told they didn't have them but to go to Telstra and get one as it is the same network.

Utemad
AnswerID: 72450

Reply By: duncs - Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 15:59

Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 15:59
The network is definatley the same for both providers but the call rates are not. When I was making enquiries Optus was heaps cheaper on the base call rate. Both have special offers available that suite different people so you really have to work out which one suits you best.

I am happy with what I have from Optus

Duncs
AnswerID: 72616

Sponsored Links