Seat Covers for Prado

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1557 Views:8445 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We would like to get some sheepskin car seat covers for our Prado. Because the good ones seem so expensive I would appreciate any recommendations from people who have found a high quality supplier. We had to repair the seats on our previous Landcruiser twice because my husband ruined them getting in and out so often. Therefore, I think seatcovers would be a good investment this time around.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mal - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00
Anne, if you had got out to put the hubs in and out,there would not have been as much wear onthe driver's seat. Just jokeing!!! Mal Try.
AnswerID: 5100

Reply By: Mal58 - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

Anne, I have a set of sheepskin car seat covers (front only) that I've had for about 10 years. They were on the previous car and are now on my Prado. I bought mine from a place that manufactured sheep skin products. I recall I got a good deal at the time compared to the "geniune" ones for the previous car. I would suggest you look around for places that either wholesale and sell to the public, or factory outlet and see what you can find. Rgds, Mal58
AnswerID: 5101

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

Anne.... If you're in Sydney, there is a good place that custom makes seatcovers on the corner of Wet Botany St and Bestic St at Rockdale. Can't recall the name, but I got a set there for my old commodore and am planning on getting a set for the Jackaroo from them soon.
AnswerID: 5103

Reply By: Maree - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

Anne - I've had a set of front covers for about 10 years too. They were bought for a different car but perfectly fit my Suzuki. Depends on where you are located!! I bought mine in Canberra in Kingston, made by a shop/manufacturer who measure up your car and made them to fit. In Sydney, there's the same sort of place in Penshurst Street I think it is. Don't know the name but can describe the location if you're in this city. The manufacturer who turns up at the Camping show recommended that one to me.
AnswerID: 5105

Reply By: Wayne - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

Anne,
I would be interested in hearing where you buy and how much you pay for your seat covers. I am also about to look at buying some for my Prado.
Ta,
Wayne
AnswerID: 5108

Reply By: Dazmit - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

I bought a set from Autobarn for approx $200 a couple of years ago for a Cruiser & then fitted them to my Prado. I ended up fitting cloth seat covers to the Prado as I found the thick pile of the sheepskin took away a lot of the body hugging shape of the seats therefore sitting on the seats rather than in them.
AnswerID: 5109

Reply By: Richard - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

You will find that not all sheepskin seat covers are created equal.(To mix a metaphor)
The best available in Melbourne (not biased (much) as my brother is the proprietor) are at Blacksheep Australia in Maroondah Highway, Ringwood (right next door to Compleat Angler) You can start with multi-fit types, which will fit nearly anything, and go right up to what are called fully tailored, which are ALL sheepskin, front, back & sides. These, needless to say are quite expensive. The main problem is the cost and scarcity of qood quality sheepskin, as most is now exported.
As far as loss of "feel" due to long pile is concerned, Blacksheep do not recommend very long pile for this reason. I cannot recommend sheepkin more highly for comfort, as they are cool in summer,and warm in winter.
Just beware of "lambswool" covers, which are generally NOT proper sheepskin, but a woven substitute which are nowhere near as good.
AnswerID: 5118

Follow Up By: Andrew O - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
Richard, I am in Melbourne next week ... can I email / phone your brother in advance for some (unbiased? :)) ) information? Cheers ... Andrew
FollowupID: 2181

Sponsored Links