Gearbox additive

Submitted: Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1702 Views:2873 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, I drive a 1978 Nissan Patrol G60 with 442,00 on the clock. No power steering, no airconditioning and no clutch shudder ! It has a Marks Adaptors 5 speed box which is not longer on the market. At 90kph you can still hear the passenger speak. At 100kph there is quite a high pitched whine and conversation is difficult and at 110kph it sounds like a 747 coming in to land at Sydney Airport and you can forget about talking. Any speed above that the gearbox is dead quiet but it is not safe to drive at that speed. Is there any reliable additive that I can add to the gear oil to make the noise go away?
I love my old truck as it is bulletproof, so reliable, starts first go after a bit of cranking and goes anywhere I point it. I am busy spending some dollars on it to do it up for some forays into the big sky country.... soon. Cheers, Willie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andew - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
Willie, sounds like a nice old truck, but the noise is mechanically generated.
I would suggest there is some bearing noise as at those speeds you are in 4th or 5th gear and is it an overdrive 5th gear?
You may need to find the brand of gearbox, not just the adaptor plate manufacturer.
By just adding an expensive additive, you are trying to cure the effect, not the cause of the noise.
Maybe you should through a few bucks to a gearbox expert and get the real problem fixed, so as the G60 remains a loyal vehicle for you.
AnswerID: 5643

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for your comments Andrew. Yes, maybe I should look around for another gearbox. This box is a 5 speed which was part of Marks Adaptors product line some years ago and is now out of production. It could have been sourced from a Nissan build. The box has been making the same noises in 5th gear for the past 100,000km. I have to have some work done to the transfercase and will look around either for a different box or a box/transfercase combination. Cheers, Willie
FollowupID: 2449

Sponsored Links