Brisbane Darwin Trip

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:22
ThreadID: 19210 Views:1688 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I need to be in Darwin around June this year for work commitments (1 week only). I was thinking of adding holidays before & after so making 4 weeks in total.
I live in SE QLD.
Anyone recommend the best route to work within such a time frame?
I have a SUZUKI XL-7 vehicle which I am really happy with and it is reasonably capable but obviously has some limitations, like any 4WD depending on what you want to do.
The easiest route (on me and the vehicle) would be preferable.
I am initially looking at going inland to Alice and then obviuosly north from there.
Has anyone already done a similar trip or have any comments?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:51

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:51
Haven't been that way yet so can't offer any advice on the road, but good to see another XL-7 around here! Don't think there's much between Brisbane and Darwin that would stop your truck if properly set up and well prepared, but is that sidesteps in the rig pic? If yes (piccie's so small that I'm not sure) then I'd consider getting rid of them for the rougher trips - the XL-7's ground clearance and angles aren't brilliant at the best of times, and these sidesteps tend to get in the way...
If it has stock tyres, I'd also think seriously about getting some A/Ts if you're going off the tarmac. I have Yokohama Geolander A/Ts which I had fitted instead of the stock tyres when I bought the truck, and they're doing well.
AnswerID: 92085

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:07

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:07
Your Suzuki is capable of tackling all the roads between SE Queensland and the NT via Central Australia. As Mungo says, get some AT tyres if you do not have them yet. I did a Simpson north south off road crossing ina Suzuki 1300 JX some years back.
AnswerID: 92090

Reply By: Wok - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:38

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:38
Ray,

I do the Brisbane -Darwin route like this,
Roma-Mt Isa-Camoolweal [sp?]-Barkly-Three ways-Katherine-Darwin
3 nights, reach Howard Springs after lunch. I prefer to spend my time in Arnhem Land or the Kimberley.

rgds
AnswerID: 92095

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:47

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:47
Ray,

Seeing as you're going in June, you could turn off at Winton, and head to Boulia, then go across the Donahue/Plenty to Alice. Not all bitumen, but probably one of most direct routes. A shorter route, but more dirt, is through Charleville, Quilpie, Windorah, Bedourie, then Boulia.

If you took 2 weeks to get to Darwin, that would leave you a week to get home, via Mt Isa, then Landsborough h'wy through central west to where ever home is.

While you're in Darwin, make sure you see Aviation museum, miltary ditto, Mindel Beach Markets(Sunday nights), and go to Stokes Hill wharf, for fish'n chips/seafood.

You'll want to work hard up there, you'll probably put on weight!
Have a good trip..

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 92097

Reply By: Member- Starky - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:05

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:05
Ray-C,
I'm off to Darwin on the 4th June, starting from Maryborough (Qld) going through Innaminka, Oodnadatta, Ayres Rock, Alice for a few nigts then on to Darwin and back home through the Gulf country and down the coast. I have set down five weeks for the trip but this will depend on what strikes my fancy along the way. It will set me up for future more detailed trips of some of the areas that we just breeze through. Your Suzzy would get through any of the roads that I would be travelling.

Might see you around if you want company for any of the time.
AnswerID: 92139

Reply By: Member - Wendy - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:59

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:59
Ray - if you decide to go via Mt Isa, it is well worth making detour north to Lawn Hill Nat Park - about 6 hrs via "Thorntonia", & Riversleigh & about 130km dirt. Via Cloncurry, Burke and Wills and Gregory Downs is about 8-10 hrs, only 90km dirt. Very spectacular country. Can camp at Nat Park - book in advance - or at Adels Grove, nearby - recommend the latter(hot showers & campfires!)
AnswerID: 92182

Reply By: Member - Ray C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 20:02

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 20:02
Thanks everyone. I have only just become a member so this is my first post. jeez, what a great forum.
All the replies have been excellent so I will sift through soon.
I visit Darwin on average at least once a year so can vouch for the markets and the weight gain. I love the place
I am scheduled to be there the last week in June. This is the first time however I have considered driving.
To Mungo Explorer, yes, they are the Suzuki original side steps and I know exactly what you mean. I have come close to grounding them already and I have not even done any serious 4wd yet (still new to me but wish I had started it years ago),
I expect the original "car tyres" to be worn before my trip but if not I will replace them anyway. After all I am only putting of the inevitable and let's face it the Bridgestomes are crap.
Once again great feedback.
AnswerID: 92497

Sponsored Links