Engle 12/240 Volt Assistance Required

Submitted: Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 14:10
ThreadID: 19226 Views:2347 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All. I have an Engle MRTF-540D-G4 (39l) fridge that I have owned since 1996. It is a great unit and I have had no problems with it. I also recently purhcased an Anniversary Edition model to go along with it as I needed some space to keep the drinks cool as well as the food!

When camping down south last week I enjoyed the capacity of the newer model Engle to leave both the 12v and 240v cords connected. The fridge will select 240v over 12v automatically meaning that it would run from the battery in the camper of an evening when the gennie was off and from the AC power when the Gennie was on during the day.

On checking the manual for my older model it states that this can do the same, but the older one has a slide that only allows either the AC cord OR the DC cord to be connected at one time. I have removed the back cover of the fridge, but the power plug is a sealed unit and I can't see any way to remove the slide without breaking something.

Has anyone soleved this problem in the past and if so, can you let me know how you did so?

Thanks in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 14:40

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 14:40
G'day there
I sold my 39 litre unit and bought a 40 litre one last year for that very reason. I might be wrong, but my understanding of the situation was that the older unit DID NOT have the capability of sensing 12/240v and that was the reason for the stupid slide thingo.
I have my 40 litre mounted permanently and it runs 24/7. I've mounted a caravan-type 240v inlet on the bullbar and wired it all up so that each night I just plug a cord into the bullbar and it takes over the fridge duties. I've also mounted a small battery charger in the cargo area which is also plugged in with the fridge on a power board, so that when I switch the fridge over, I'm also re-charging my aux battery that has been working hard all day to keep the drinks cold.
As I said, I could be wrong (but I don't think so)......
Good luck...........
AnswerID: 92202

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Paula - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 14:59

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 14:59
Thanks Roachie. I was a bit worried about this too, but I kept the Owner's Guide that came with the fridge and this clearly states ...

"Both AC and DC power sources may be connected simultaneously for convenience. In this case, the fridge will automatically select AC power for operation when available thereby preserving your DC power source for later use."

After a little careful fiddling I managed to remove the slide by gently forcing it upwards between the casings and it slipped out easily. I have kept it to replace it lated if I wish to.

Cheers

Steve
FollowupID: 350998

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 15:20

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 15:20
That's great Steve,
Now, have you plugged both in simultaneously and tried it out? I must say that I am surprised as i thought it wouldn't work.
My 30 litre fridge was about 7 years old and had been going well; sold it for $650-. A bloke in our club (Ray) had one the same age which he'd really looked after well (as opposed to mine which had been a bit knocked about). Ray's karked it for no apparent reason (compressor blew and it was gunna cost $900- to fix), so he bought a new 40 litre. I got nervous about mine too, so decided to upgrade, using the dual plug thing as a good reason to convince myself.
Cya mate
FollowupID: 351003

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 17:39

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 17:39
mmm? I wonder if they had to put the slide in as the design of old unit couldnt keep our authorities convinced that there would not be any problems with both circuits ie. the isolation of both if a serious problem did develop? and hence safety COULD be compromised...not saying it wont work...rather the safety factor if "what if" occured?
FollowupID: 351046

Follow Up By: Member - Steve & Paula - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 18:46

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 18:46
Thanks Guys! When in doubt - ring the manufacturor! According to Terry on the Engle helpline, my manual is wrong. He at first assumed that my fridge was one of the old green ones. When I assured him that it wasn't he went and looked up the model. I don't feel confident in his knowledge of the subject, but he suggested that this model was the last to come out with the slide and that I should not remove it. (I had already tried the fridge on both AC and DC simultaneously and it appeared to work just fine). I remain unconvinced because the manual has the model number of the fridge on it and even my fridge's serial number as well! You may be right Nudenut, it could be an Australian design thing.

Anyway I have decided to play it safe and put the slide back. I figure that a little minor inconvenience in swapping cords over is not worth risking damaging a $1200 fridge over.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve
FollowupID: 351065

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:01

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:01
Steve,

Another solution for you to consider.

Connect your fridge via 12 volt connection, as you would for overnight.
During the day, use your gennie to charge the battery, whilst it is powering your fridge. You then get the best of both worlds.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 92334

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)