Breathers

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 19:20
ThreadID: 19406 Views:1530 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have just finished extended the diff breathers on my 100 series and am wondering whether I need to do the gear box and transfer case breathers as well.
To be honest it looks like a bugger of a job and was wondering if most 4wd owners do the job or do you just check the oils after a water crossing??????
Any advice would be appreciated.
Also has anyone tried the Hiclone's to aid fuel economy?
Thanks Ozzy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 19:51

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 19:51
Ozzy,
Not sure about 100 series, but on the Patrol, there are breathers for front diff, gearbox and tranny case up into the left inner guard, high up in the engine bay. However, the rear diff was only plumbed up to the nearest chassis cross member. I've added a new breather from rear diff to engine bay too. Don't think I'd bother with the gear/tranny boxes unless they don't have breathers at all.
AnswerID: 93276

Follow Up By: Ozzy - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 20:42

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 20:42
Thanks for the advice, I must admit the patrols sure do a better job on the production line with their breathers than what toyota do.
Ozzy
FollowupID: 352443

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 21:08

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 21:08
Fitted breathers to front and rear diffs and g/box and transfer case on our 4 Runner and after doing the Cape,Gulf road,Kakadu and Litchfield with plenty of water crossings with each last year, oil still looked like new when we returned home.Mind you I fitted up the gearbox and transfer breathers while the g/box was out replacing the clutch,which made the job alot easier.
For peace of mind I'd do it.
AnswerID: 93293

Reply By: Ozzy - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 20:47

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 20:47
Thanks Nick, after reading your reply, I crawled under the cruiser and felt around the top of the gearbox and transfer case.
They do have breathers fitted that join up together and then disappear up above the gearbox some where. To do the extension on these I reckon you would have to remove them as you did, so I think they will stay as they are for now.
Thanks Ozzy
AnswerID: 93451

Sponsored Links